Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #101
Romulan
Four Point

I'm not a huge fan of ebikes either - other than the physically disabled - I don't see the benefit in buying one - if a person isn't able to bike than it's probably time to get on a bike and start losing weight. Anyway, do any of yall know when the 2nd drawing happens?

I was there last year and the impression I got from the staff is it's almost like the refuge doesn't like dealing with allowing hunters - I'm curious to know how much money is actually spent on keeping those 17 or so Ocelots going
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #102
BackwoodzHank
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon/Hunt/Fannin, idaho, colorado

Dont know if it will be this season , what are they talking about when they say expanding method of taking big game?

https://www.fws.gov/home/feature/201...Narratives.pdf
Attached Images

BackwoodzHank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #103
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodzHank View Post
Dont know if it will be this season , what are they talking about when they say expanding method of taking big game?

https://www.fws.gov/home/feature/201...Narratives.pdf
I was wondering the same thing.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #104
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2759 View Post
It would cut down on 1, 6, and 8 getting overrun.
Ebikes will do the same thing as they will allow hunters to go in further than they normally would. I am 50 years old and not in the best shape (I know that's my fault) but also have not so great knees from crawling thru burning buildings for more than twenty years. My ebike is more of a peddle assisted thing rather than just running off the battery. It definitely lets me get deeper into the woods than I would be able to hiking or with a regular bike.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #105
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hogkiller View Post
Yahoo. Drawn for 1st bow hunt. October 25-29. First time.
Could a couple of you Atascosa vets let me know what to expect down there.
Expect the hardest thing you could imagine. Hot, insects, snakes, bike tire flats, super shady animals and mostly super dumb hunters that can ruin a hunt instantly
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #106
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
Ebikes will do the same thing as they will allow hunters to go in further than they normally would. I am 50 years old and not in the best shape (I know that's my fault) but also have not so great knees from crawling thru burning buildings for more than twenty years. My ebike is more of a peddle assisted thing rather than just running off the battery. It definitely lets me get deeper into the woods than I would be able to hiking or with a regular bike.
I hope the e-bike isnít allowed. (Only allowed for those impaired and need it)It will definitely lessen the crowding But I donít want others going further. I go to unit 3 and will continue. Itís a trek to back where I hunt and only a few seem to go that far. With an e-bike, Laguna becomes a tiny place. Regular bike, you know and feel the size of Laguna.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #107
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
I'm not a huge fan of ebikes either - other than the physically disabled - I don't see the benefit in buying one - if a person isn't able to bike than it's probably time to get on a bike and start losing weight. Anyway, do any of yall know when the 2nd drawing happens?

I was there last year and the impression I got from the staff is it's almost like the refuge doesn't like dealing with allowing hunters - I'm curious to know how much money is actually spent on keeping those 17 or so Ocelots going
2nd drawing is tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #108
Romulan
Four Point

Quote:
I hear ya - my initial reaction when I hear Ebikes is to think of the cost (haha) and to jump the gun and think it's just the lazy that's created a market for it. You're right about the knees - I had a knee issue not too long ago and it kept me off of my bike and running.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #109
jnd1959
Eight Point

While I'm not longer in the best shape weight wise, I still would use a regular bike. There will come a day when, if I want to continue, I will have to adopt some help. I'm already planning on llamas for hunting out west and adding days to the trips because I will be slower. I'm not excited about ebikes either, but ask me in five or six years when I'm near 70 and my attitude will change. Yes, that's inconsistent. I'll dislike them until I have to use them. Then they will be one of my favorite tools.
jnd1959 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 PM   #110
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
While I'm not longer in the best shape weight wise, I still would use a regular bike. There will come a day when, if I want to continue, I will have to adopt some help. I'm already planning on llamas for hunting out west and adding days to the trips because I will be slower. I'm not excited about ebikes either, but ask me in five or six years when I'm near 70 and my attitude will change. Yes, that's inconsistent. I'll dislike them until I have to use them. Then they will be one of my favorite tools.
lol, well I love mine. Another advantage to the ebike (obviously) is it's less strenuous. I'm all about scent control, especially while bow hunting. If it's warm weather and I ride a regular bike to the back parts of the refuge I will be sweating my butt off by the time I get to my spot. More sweat = more stink. The ebike is still work but not as much so I dont get as sweaty.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #111
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

I'm fully drenched in sweat at minimum 4 times a day on those hunts, sometimes all day. Scent control is out of picture. Just gotta play the wind right.....ain't no hiding that stank!!! Or roll in a big pile of nilgai skat!

I step all in it when I find it nice and slimy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #112
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
I'm fully drenched in sweat at minimum 4 times a day on those hunts, sometimes all day. Scent control is out of picture. Just gotta play the wind right.....ain't no hiding that stank!!! Or roll in a big pile of nilgai skat!

I step all in it when I find it nice and slimy.

That explains it, you did always smell like sheet when I ran into you. But good tactic, smell like the animal youíre hunting.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #113
GBludau
Eight Point

I just want to see people stepping in nilgai poo this time!

Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #114
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:

that's awesome! lmao
Old 09-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #115
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:

Best tactic is to bury yourself in the pile and take a Texas heart shot when they are backed up to it. Works every time.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #116
straightGrizzly
Six Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Lee, and Clay county. Where ever the winds right

Got drawn for 10/25-10/29. Pumped for this one, it will be my first time out there.
straightGrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #117
L C
Four Point

Good luck out there.

We drew but passed on the October hunt. Between being busy at home and the required orientation, it was too much.

I really wish they'd figure another way for orientation, like an email, or cancel it all together.
L C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #118
caalexander4
Four Point

I dont think ebikes will change the game so I am not opposed to them. Most of the ones that are marketed to hunters are way more than guys are willing to pay.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #119
Tomahawk54
Nubbin' Buck

I also hope they dont do ebikes. LAGUNA is supposed to be a hard hunt. If you are one of the few willing to put in the effort to get to the untouched places of the refuge it should be to your advangtage. I ramp up my fitness quite a bit for a couple months before this type of hunt so that i can have an advantage over the out of shape guys.
Tomahawk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #120
GBludau
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
I also hope they dont do ebikes. LAGUNA is supposed to be a hard hunt. If you are one of the few willing to put in the effort to get to the untouched places of the refuge it should be to your advangtage. I ramp up my fitness quite a bit for a couple months before this type of hunt so that i can have an advantage over the out of shape guys.
Agreed

Old 09-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #121
Romulan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
I dont think ebikes will change the game so I am not opposed to them. Most of the ones that are marketed to hunters are way more than guys are willing to pay.
I'm with you on that - BTW you can get a conversion kit on amazon for around 300-400 dollars. I might be looking into this in about 5 years haha - got drawn on the 2nd drawing good luck to all!
Old 09-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #122
Romulan
Four Point

Has anyone tried or heard about using this

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017574811?pid=594451

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017574811?pid=594451
Old 09-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #123
GBludau
Eight Point

The Laguna Master called me.
He got 2nd draw. He won't tell me what dates
I think thats 20 consecutive years the GOAT has hunted Laguna!!

I'm going to challenge him. The one with his name the most on the chalkboard will take the BELT!

LAGUNA MASTER 20 & 0
GBludau 2 & 0

Old 09-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #124
ABWGTX
Four Point

I think anyone over 60 should be able to use a hover round, mobility scooter or ebike. BTW I qualify.
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #125
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABWGTX View Post
I think anyone over 60 should be able to use a hover round, mobility scooter or ebike. BTW I qualify.
Yep. Load up the hover round. I got my emergency pendant in case I fall and can't get up. Just shift that thing into three wheel drive and head out. If we seal the bearings, battery and engine, I can just drive it out in the marsh and hunt ducks on it.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #126
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
Yep. Load up the hover round. I got my emergency pendant in case I fall and can't get up. Just shift that thing into three wheel drive and head out. If we seal the bearings, battery and engine, I can just drive it out in the marsh and hunt ducks on it.
Like the way you think. Rule change all those under 59 years have to be bare footed and wear shorts above the knee and no snake proof equipment. Think that about covers it.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #127
ABWGTX
Four Point

Quote:
Like the way you think. Rule change all those under 59 years have to be bare footed and wear shorts above the knee and no snake proof equipment. Think that about covers it.
All BS aside this is the same argument isn't much different than the recurve/long bow hunters had about compound bows been my an unfair advantage many years ago or recent crossbow hunting for everyone. Ebikes are just another tool. It all works out. I do enjoy reading about the competition between GBludau, txoutdoorsman24 and others on here. I'm not in the Archery hunt but do apply for firearm hunts down one the valley.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #128
jnd1959
Eight Point

I definitely will consider them for the mountains. I'm trying to hold off on the flatland out of pride. But I have looked at them closely. I do reserve the right to complain about them until I get one, though.

Your right, it is the same type of argument. On the scale of effort, E-bikes are a step up from a UTV or ATV. I don't have one of those either but I wouldn't turn one down on principle.

Also, if those under 59 are real hunters, they'd hunt barefoot with a homemade longbow. That's the we did it back in the day. We didn't even take arrows, We would fashion them out of whatever we could find. If we couldn't find anything we'd just run them until the collapsed.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #129
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
The Laguna Master called me.
He got 2nd draw. He won't tell me what dates
I think thats 20 consecutive years the GOAT has hunted Laguna!!

I'm going to challenge him. The one with his name the most on the chalkboard will take the BELT!

LAGUNA MASTER 20 & 0
GBludau 2 & 0

Waiting for odds before placing bets. This will be interesting.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #130
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
All BS aside this is the same argument isn't much different than the recurve/long bow hunters had about compound bows been my an unfair advantage many years ago or recent crossbow hunting for everyone. Ebikes are just another tool. It all works out. I do enjoy reading about the competition between GBludau, txoutdoorsman24 and others on here. I'm not in the Archery hunt but do apply for firearm hunts down one the valley.
Hahaha. That GBludau guy is a character!!! Unfortunately heís kickin my arse at laguna. 3 kills to my zero.

But I did here heís ghey
Old 09-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #131
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
With an e-bike, Laguna becomes a tiny place.
Must have missed this comment but I couldnt disagree more and have experience to back it up. I used my ebike out there in 2017 (same trip I met you on) and only got two good days of hunting in due to tire problems. Even with the two good days I got in I only covered a very small portion of the refuge. With more than 90k acres, even with an atv it would take more than a week to learn the place well. Riding is not the same as scouting.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #132
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Must have missed this comment but I couldnt disagree more and have experience to back it up. I used my ebike out there in 2017 (same trip I met you on) and only got two good days of hunting in due to tire problems. Even with the two good days I got in I only covered a very small portion of the refuge. With more than 90k acres, even with an atv it would take more than a week to learn the place well. Riding is not the same as scouting.
You had an E-Bike then!?!? I had no clue. Your bike didnít look like it to me.

I guess my comment was more meant at distances than actual size. Riding back into unit 1 is 20-25 minutes and back to unit 3 is minimum 30 minutes with out a trailer to just across the bridge. I have no knowledge of e-bikes so I truly canít say if they help or not but I think it would make those long distance rides a while lot easier.
Now the tire problems would make any bike useless and the hunt a million times more frustrating.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #133
gburk
Nubbin' Buck

Hey all,
apparently i don't have enough posts to start a thread to properly introduce myself. We live in central Tx, have been in Texas for 20 years now. Have five sons that hunt with me and two daughters that don't ;-). Lots of kids sports going on so sometimes hard to get them out in the field... high school, middle school and pop warner football right now for our three youngest.

Now to the point - I and two sons got drawn for LANWR on the Nov 15-19 hunt. I've hunted there once before, and have found the accommodations are difficult.. we stayed in Los Fresnos last time in a dive of a place that took a solid 55 min to get to. This time, i was planning to camp at Thomae park but from what i gather they just stack the tents right up next to each other so that'll be a snorefest... and it's not very close to the allowed entrance anyways.

So we have rented a 2BR/2BA condo in Laguna Vista and will have an extra bedroom and a bathroom available that I'd like to rent out. Both to split the costs and meet some like minded TBH folks. This will be a quiet place to rest up for the next day's adventures, not a party pad, so ideally we're looking for someone who's even more serious about the hunt than we are. There's a grill and what looks like a decent kitchen. I believe based on my all-in costs 1/2 would be roughly $275 for checkin 14th and checkout 19th. Based on google maps it's less than 20 minutes to the Refuge entrance.

Shoot me a PM if interested and i can provide more details. Meanwhile i'll try to figure out how to find my PMs I'd like to get this nailed down by end of month. Thanks
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #134
CoswayTyler
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Well ladies and gents I got lucky and drew the first weekend on the second draw!!!
Now, thatís the ONLY weekend all year I have something planned. Whatís everyoneís experience with the mandatory orientation if you canít be there for it? Will they let you do it when you get there say on Saturday evening?
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #135
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoswayTyler View Post
Well ladies and gents I got lucky and drew the first weekend on the second draw!!!
Now, thatís the ONLY weekend all year I have something planned. Whatís everyoneís experience with the mandatory orientation if you canít be there for it? Will they let you do it when you get there say on Saturday evening?
I donít remember anyone getting a different orientation time. Best to call now and ask before you pay for the permits. If you havenít already.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #136
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburk View Post
Hey all,
apparently i don't have enough posts to start a thread to properly introduce myself. We live in central Tx, have been in Texas for 20 years now. Have five sons that hunt with me and two daughters that don't ;-). Lots of kids sports going on so sometimes hard to get them out in the field... high school, middle school and pop warner football right now for our three youngest.

Now to the point - I and two sons got drawn for LANWR on the Nov 15-19 hunt. I've hunted there once before, and have found the accommodations are difficult.. we stayed in Los Fresnos last time in a dive of a place that took a solid 55 min to get to. This time, i was planning to camp at Thomae park but from what i gather they just stack the tents right up next to each other so that'll be a snorefest... and it's not very close to the allowed entrance anyways.

So we have rented a 2BR/2BA condo in Laguna Vista and will have an extra bedroom and a bathroom available that I'd like to rent out. Both to split the costs and meet some like minded TBH folks. This will be a quiet place to rest up for the next day's adventures, not a party pad, so ideally we're looking for someone who's even more serious about the hunt than we are. There's a grill and what looks like a decent kitchen. I believe based on my all-in costs 1/2 would be roughly $275 for checkin 14th and checkout 19th. Based on google maps it's less than 20 minutes to the Refuge entrance.

Shoot me a PM if interested and i can provide more details. Meanwhile i'll try to figure out how to find my PMs I'd like to get this nailed down by end of month. Thanks
Laguna Vista is the Bess option to stay. Only a few minutes away. Iíve stayed there before and again this year.
Hopefully we can meet yíall on the hunt. Best of luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #137
Romulan
Four Point

Quote:
Laguna Vista is the Bess option to stay. Only a few minutes away. Iíve stayed there before and again this year.
Where at in Laguna Vista?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #138
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
Where at in Laguna Vista?
We (GBludau) booked thru spigolfrentals.com. Itís at the SPI golf course. Literally 10 minutes from the refuge. I stayed in that same subdivision my first year.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #139
GBludau
Eight Point

Yes.

Guys, if you are looking for a place to stay. This is your best bet, no matter the size of tour your group.

I've stayed here before.

If you need more info I can get the details.

$700/weekly for 2bed/baths. Thats cheap for such nice amenities and SO CLOSE to the refuge.

We got a big tow house on the bay for $1,300. Sleeps 10! If you want to make a reservations let me know, if you call tell Crystal Greg referred you. She may give a TBH discount!

Old 09-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #140
gburk
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
appreciate it, y'all too!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #141
gburk
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Yes.

Guys, if you are looking for a place to stay. This is your best bet, no matter the size of tour your group.
Not sure we'll be rolling like GBludau "on" the bay, but there looks like some muddy water in the backyard. Same neighborhood anyways
Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #142
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas

I got selected 11/-11/5 (first time applying). This will be my first bow hunt.

I have shot rifle my entire life and have had many successful hunts on Nilgai. This is going to be interesting and challenging given how tough and hard these animals are to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
piercebronkite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #143
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebronkite View Post
I got selected 11/-11/5 (first time applying). This will be my first bow hunt.

I have shot rifle my entire life and have had many successful hunts on Nilgai. This is going to be interesting and challenging given how tough and hard these animals are to hunt.

This is your first eve bow hunt? Clearly you know how these animals are so it will take a lil extra on public land, but it will be fun nonetheless. And hot
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #144
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
This is your first eve bow hunt? Clearly you know how these animals are so it will take a lil extra on public land, but it will be fun nonetheless. And hot

Yup and first public land hunt. I have been fortunate to hunt private ranches for over 30 years. I didnít sign up for easy so Iím looking forward to it!

Old 09-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #145
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebronkite View Post
Yup and first public land hunt. I have been fortunate to hunt private ranches for over 30 years. I didnít sign up for easy so Iím looking forward to it!

Dang that's awesome. No better place to cut your teeth than at Laguna. If you kill something, you will def have done dang good job. Good luck to ya
Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #146
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

How are people handling the game once harvested? Do they offer any assistance or are you expected to haul it out?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #147
ABWGTX
Four Point

Make TBH friends first before the hunt or you'll be hauling it yourself. LOL
Old 09-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #148
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Yep. Sometimes the refuge will lend a hand but don’t go expecting that.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #149
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Yep. Sometimes the refuge will lend a hand but donít go expecting that.
Thanks!

Quote:
Make TBH friends first before the hunt or you'll be hauling it yourself. LOL

Looks like I came to the right place!

Old 09-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #150
caalexander4
Four Point

Got drawn for the general season hunt too! But I got drawn for the Balcones Canyonlands NWR on the same weekend in december. Since im stuck between the two, which do yall recommend taking the tags on? Thanks!
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top