Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 09-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
bcj jones
Four Point

Default Range finder or not?

I hunt in central Texas, from a bow stand and a feeder. Typically set about 20 yards apart and I probably wouldnít take a shot past 30-35 yards. Is a rangefinder necessary? Do yíall use one often enough to justify buying one?
bcj jones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I have one, but I generally range objects around me and pretend that I can remember how far they are. I’ve used it a lot coyote hunting though.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I always have one with me. If the feeder is a known 20 yards without an option to shot much further than you probably donít need one. I have had plenty of shot chances at 30-40 yards and really needed that range finder.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Take mine just in case
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

I range my shooting spots/lanes and put rocks, logs, corn piles, or some other kind of marker at known distances. This way I don't have to have any excess movement when deer are in shooting range. Can adjust my sights accordingly.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Muskles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
I range my shooting spots/lanes and put rocks, logs, corn piles, or some other kind of marker at known distances. This way I don't have to have any excess movement when deer are in shooting range. Can adjust my sights accordingly.
X2.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
MagicBlade
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

I always carry mine!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
Jerod
Spike

I always carry one...if not just to test my own ranging abilities while i'm bored haha.
Jerod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #9
Spartan22
Four Point

Hunt In: All Over

I have always carried one with me no matter if bow or rifle was in hand. BUT, last year during Archery I had two 8ís and a 10 walk in on me and I got popped ranging one of them at 18 yards. In my head I was thinking 20 but ranging said 18 because of elevation in stand. Either way my gut Range would have done it. Too much movement got me so I changed to a rangefinder sight on Bow. If you get one, Range points of interest and remember them so you donít have to move around outside of letting one fly!

Last edited by Spartan22; 09-22-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Spartan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #10
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

A lot of money is spent to bow hunt to not have a $150 range finder. People did it for a long time without one, but that’s because they were unavailable. At least with a range finder, you’ll know it was shooter error.

Last year I missed my target buck because I didn’t range. It was past prime time and the sun had come up so I stood up to take my vest off, and when I did, I had to take off my range finder since I have it strapped around my neck and under my armpit. I forgot to put it back on after I took my vest off. Low and behold, my target deer came in behind me and caught my wind. By the time I saw him, he had just started to turn and walk away. I reached down to grab my range finder and it wasn’t there. CRAP!! Too late now, he’s moving. I stopped him and guess him at around 40, settled my pin and let it fly. It went right over his back. I got down and ranged and it was 32 yards. Had I been able to use my range finder, that deer would be on my wall. Never saw him again.

I say all this because you just never know and it’s better to be sure than sorry.
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #11
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

I use mine before the season starts. I know how far it is to the feeder and just the other side. I keep my shots to within 25 yards so I don't really need one. Now, if I was spotting and stalking or if I felt comfortable taking longer shots then I most certainly would. no doubt.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
Gemlin
Spike

I have mine with me. Sometimes the big buck stands outside the feeder area and you might not know the range.
Gemlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #13
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Carry mine on every hunt I ever go on.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
jjaimes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
A lot of money is spent to bow hunt to not have a $150 range finder. People did it for a long time without one, but thatís because they were unavailable. At least with a range finder, youíll know it was shooter error.

Last year I missed my target buck because I didnít range. It was past prime time and the sun had come up so I stood up to take my vest off, and when I did, I had to take off my range finder since I have it strapped around my neck and under my armpit. I forgot to put it back on after I took my vest off. Low and behold, my target deer came in behind me and caught my wind. By the time I saw him, he had just started to turn and walk away. I reached down to grab my range finder and it wasnít there. CRAP!! Too late now, heís moving. I stopped him and guess him at around 40, settled my pin and let it fly. It went right over his back. I got down and ranged and it was 32 yards. Had I been able to use my range finder, that deer would be on my wall. Never saw him again.

I say all this because you just never know and itís better to be sure than sorry.
x2 Happened to me last year except that this deer popped out of no where and didn't have time to range him. Ended up shooting under him
jjaimes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

I range spots where most traffic is from before the hunt so I know the distances. I always take one with me in case a target is at a unknown distance and I can range it without being seen.
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Always. I know my feed pens like the back of my hand but it never hurts to verify.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #17
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Depends on your setup really. Anywhere I'd shoot a deer at my setup is a max 25 yards or closer, depending on where deer are relative to the feeder. I just bring my bag target and practice shots at various angles, but since there are no potential long shots, it's not really an issue.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #18
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

Must have for a serious bow hunter!!
UrbanBuck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I've never regretted using one. I have regretted not using one.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I've never regretted using one. I have regretted not using one.
^^^^^
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #21
dbelcher269
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

If you only have a couple stands with feeders then it’s pretty easy to remember distances and not really necessary. I have 15 or so stands available to hunt plus a pop up that’s easy to move around. I also walk to stands and frequently see hogs and occasionally a doe or cull buck I might want to shoot. To me, a rangefinder is right up there with my release. Your setup sounds like you could get away with objects to mark distances pre-hunt.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top