Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #151
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caalexander4 View Post
Got drawn for the general season hunt too! But I got drawn for the Balcones Canyonlands NWR on the same weekend in december. Since im stuck between the two, which do yall recommend taking the tags on? Thanks!
Donít even think twice. Balcones will suck way more. A gun at Laguna will be a meat haul. Iíve been drawn for Balcones twice and skipped both hunts bc reviews and hunt recaps from the wardens were not good.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #152
jnd1959
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Donít even think twice. Balcones will suck way more. A gun at Laguna will be a meat haul. Iíve been drawn for Balcones twice and skipped both hunts bc reviews and hunt recaps from the wardens were not good.
We hunted Balcones last year. We saw two bucks fighting on the first night and a hog on the second night. We had several trails and scrapes but it is hard to determine their pattern in the short amount of time you have. We should have taken the two bucks that first night.

It is a tough hunt. I would pick laguna.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #153
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebronkite View Post
How are people handling the game once harvested? Do they offer any assistance or are you expected to haul it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The refuge volunteers may help after dark. They won't drive in during hunting hours. Like was said before...have a network of folks that can help if you get a big bull.

I shot a whitetail buck last year & it was a chore getting it to the truck(2 miles away). Bicycle with homemade cart really helped. Take game bags. I had to make 2 trips(500 yards) to get meat to bicycle.

good luck
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #154
caalexander4
Four Point

Quote:
Thanks, I couldnt find many reviews on it but I found the forum for last year and saw was txfirefighter(think that was his username) did and i got pumped. Trying to decide between my savage msr-10 with fort scott 168gr .308s or rocking my dad's 30-378 which I have rocked deer with at a couple hundred before. Fast follow ups or using a round I have seen elk drop with in their tracks.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 PM   #155
Abeltrod381
Nubbin' Buck

My brother and I got drawn for Laguna for the mid-November bow hunt on our first time applying. Like most on this board we are most interested in opportunity for a nilgai bull or cow. Looking forward to a challenging hunt and meeting some like minded hunters. See yíall in November!
Abeltrod381 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 11:24 PM   #156
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thanks, I couldnt find many reviews on it but I found the forum for last year and saw was txfirefighter(think that was his username) did and i got pumped. Trying to decide between my savage msr-10 with fort scott 168gr .308s or rocking my dad's 30-378 which I have rocked deer with at a couple hundred before. Fast follow ups or using a round I have seen elk drop with in their tracks.
30-378 would be cool use. Iím sure either would suffice
Old 09-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #157
caalexander4
Four Point

Quote:
30-378 would be cool use. Iím sure either would suffice
Up in the air on which to use but I think you are right. I wont be shooting at them from the top of a truck like most idiots on safaris so both should work.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #158
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas

Quote:
Up in the air on which to use but I think you are right. I wont be shooting at them from the top of a truck like most idiots on safaris so both should work.

.30-.378 is the only round my brother and I use to take Nilgai, if thatís what youíre after. Itís a proven round for these tough animals when we hunt them.

piercebronkite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #159
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

My group also got drawn for 11/15 - 11/19. Canít wait! Weíll be staying in a camper at Adolph Thomae.
bpa556 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #160
caalexander4
Four Point

Quote:
.30-.378 is the only round my brother and I use to take Nilgai, if thatís what youíre after. Itís a proven round for these tough animals when we hunt them.

Do you have a load recommendation? We use a SMK load that just tears the insides up and drops everything. But also have some bergers that I can work a load up for.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #161
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Do you have a load recommendation? We use a SMK load that just tears the insides up and drops everything. But also have some bergers that I can work a load up for.

My brother uses Weatherby Barnes TSX 180gr triple x shock. Heís taking Nilgai out to 475 yards. I use Hornandy 180gr GMX and havenít had any issues either. Love that round, most people have never heard of it.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #162
caalexander4
Four Point

Quote:
My brother uses Weatherby Barnes TSX 180gr triple x shock. Heís taking Nilgai out to 475 yards. I use Hornandy 180gr GMX and havenít had any issues either. Love that round, most people have never heard of it.

Ill take a look into those and see what I can do for hand loads with the bullets. Thank you sir.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #163
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:

Just looked at the ammo on midway and a box sells for about $90 bucks- is that about average price?
RiverRat00 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:54 PM   #164
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat00 View Post
Just looked at the ammo on midway and a box sells for about $90 bucks- is that about average price?

Thatís as cheap as it gets. I have seen them anywhere from $150-$180 for a box of 20.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #165
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Quote:
I got selected 11/-11/5 (first time applying). This will be my first bow hunt.

I have shot rifle my entire life and have had many successful hunts on Nilgai. This is going to be interesting and challenging given how tough and hard these animals are to hunt.

I'm on the same hunt dates as you. Will be staying in Port Isabel.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #166
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:
Got drawn for the general season hunt too! But I got drawn for the Balcones Canyonlands NWR on the same weekend in december. Since im stuck between the two, which do yall recommend taking the tags on? Thanks!
I love Balcones however I would choose lanwr. Use to hunt there every year before tpwd took over the draw process. It is also a tough hunt but in different ways. I hunted lanwr for the first time two years ago and loved it. Was easily the toughest hunt I've ever experienced...cant wait to do it again this year.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #167
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
I'm on the same hunt dates as you. Will be staying in Port Isabel.

I think so. Any recommendations? I need to square that away asap.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #168
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
The refuge volunteers may help after dark. They won't drive in during hunting hours. Like was said before...have a network of folks that can help if you get a big bull.

I shot a whitetail buck last year & it was a chore getting it to the truck(2 miles away). Bicycle with homemade cart really helped. Take game bags. I had to make 2 trips(500 yards) to get meat to bicycle.

good luck
I think me and my 2 buddies ran into you, Huntindad. If so, you were on your second trip, shirtless and sweating up a storm! Congrats on the public land deer
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #169
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:
That’s as cheap as it gets. I have seen them anywhere from $150-$180 for a box of 20.

Wow, that has to be the most expensive round in the market that I have ever seen!!

I'm sure it also does the job very well..
Old 09-19-2019, 08:14 AM   #170
CAP
Nubbin' Buck

Been lurking this forum for a few years. Figure i'd finally sign up.

I'll be out there 11/15 to 11/19 grinding it out with the other 200 wackos
CAP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #171
gburk
Nubbin' Buck

welcome, good luck and maybe we'll see you down there! no shortage of wackos that week
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 05:08 PM   #172
WRasco
Six Point

Hunt In: Online - Buy more gear than I Hunt...

11/15 -11/19 We will be there again this year. Try and find a AirBNB. If you are staying at Adolph Thomae you will have to drive around to the south side to get access. They do not let you enter form the camp ground side and they watch it closely. Actually they watch all the rules very closely.
Clean all the corn kernels out of your truck and wear your orange vest and hat, do not just drape them over you backpack.
We learned a lot last year.

Sill a great hunt.
WRasco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #173
CoswayTyler
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Alright well Iím locked and loaded and will be there the first weekend for the October hunt. Already made my reservations at Adolph Thomae park! Super pumped and hope everyone has great luck!
CoswayTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #174
Darkarcher159
Six Point

Hunt In: NW Milam County

Two questions...1. If you shoot a deer do you have to use your tag on your license or do they have permits they give you like on a TPWD draw hunt? 2. What is the cell service like while hunting on the refuge?
Darkarcher159 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #175
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
Two questions...1. If you shoot a deer do you have to use your tag on your license or do they have permits they give you like on a TPWD draw hunt? 2. What is the cell service like while hunting on the refuge?
1. You have to use the tags on your license.
2. Depends who your service provider is for cell service. I have used ATT and Cricket and both work good. Can't speak for the other cell providers.
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #176
Romulan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRasco View Post
11/15 -11/19 We will be there again this year. Try and find a AirBNB. If you are staying at Adolph Thomae you will have to drive around to the south side to get access. They do not let you enter form the camp ground side and they watch it closely. Actually they watch all the rules very closely.
Clean all the corn kernels out of your truck and wear your orange vest and hat, do not just drape them over you backpack.
We learned a lot last year.

Sill a great hunt.
Second that! - I got ticketed last year b/c we were out after sunset during scouting day - I had explained to both officers that we got lost and I even called the refuge manager letting him know that we got back to our car late ... still got ticketed
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #177
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
Second that! - I got ticketed last year b/c we were out after sunset during scouting day - I had explained to both officers that we got lost and I even called the refuge manager letting him know that we got back to our car late ... still got ticketed

You should have fought it in court
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #178
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
The Federal Game Wardens out there are completely asinine jackazzes. At least the ones I've encountered. Present your permit, have parking slip in your truck. Discuss no more. Carry on about your trip. They are not going to be your friend. You have no obligation to speak to them past checking permits. They do not care about anything other than fulfilling their mere obligations to write citations even without solid factual evidence. Been there.

Oh, do not forget, they read this thread. Watch what you post on here...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2019, 11:06 PM   #179
Falling
Six Point

Good luck, skunked out this year.
Falling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #180
lagunaduck
Four Point

Got drawn but fighting a shoulder injury (rotator cuff). Don’t know how I’ll be that far out. Considering a crossbow. Are they allowed?
lagunaduck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 02:50 AM   #181
RGV Hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can legally

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunaduck View Post
Got drawn but fighting a shoulder injury (rotator cuff). Donít know how Iíll be that far out. Considering a crossbow. Are they allowed?
Yes,they are allowed.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
RGV Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #182
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:
I think so. Any recommendations? I need to square that away asap.

I booked a room at the Port Isla Inn.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #183
gburk
Nubbin' Buck

I've still got half of a 2BR/2BA condo available in Laguna Vista for 11/14-11/19 looking to split costs so $275. Newly joined TBH but i've been a respectable lurker around here for awhile
PM for details.
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #184
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
I think me and my 2 buddies ran into you, Huntindad. If so, you were on your second trip, shirtless and sweating up a storm! Congrats on the public land deer
Don't think that was me...coulda been. My second trip was the meat to the cart. One trip to the truck. I was in unit 1.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #185
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Quote:
Don't think that was me...coulda been. My second trip was the meat to the cart. One trip to the truck. I was in unit 1.
Scratch that, youíre correct! Was a different area
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #186
jdunn6092
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

For the guys that are hunting 11/15-11/19........how many days are yíall planning to hunt? I keep hearing that this a tough hunt and a lot of people give up.

jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #187
piercebronkite
Nubbin' Buck

Default Atascosa 2019!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn6092 View Post
For the guys that are hunting 11/15-11/19........how many days are yíall planning to hunt? I keep hearing that this a tough hunt and a lot of people give up.

Going the week before. All day, every day. My training for this hunt started months ago.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #188
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:

I hunt two weeks before and I plan on hunting everyday. Unless I kill something and Iíve no more cooler space!!!! Wishful planning with that thought lol
Old 09-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #189
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:

I hunted all day every day of the hunt last year. Eat a good breakfast and take lunch and water with you. I was in a pop up which was good with the light rain we had. However, I think it spooked the Nilgai I saw. The whitetail did not seem to care.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #190
jdunn6092
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I hunted all day every day of the hunt last year. Eat a good breakfast and take lunch and water with you. I was in a pop up which was good with the light rain we had. However, I think it spooked the Nilgai I saw. The whitetail did not seem to care.

Did you see nilgai? If so how far?

jdunn6092 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #191
Huntindad
Pope & Young

I had a huge bull at 20 yards... problem was he stopped behind a big yucca plant in my blind spot as I drew back. I think he saw the pop up and froze. he went out in the field about 75 yards and looked at me for a few minutes and trotted off.

I saw a couple groups o cows....but they had seen me first. As I was glassing across I saw them looking at me.

I think the pop up is not conducive to Nilgai hunting. If I get drawn again, I'll sit in the brush or on a tripod.

the cows were about 75 yards or so.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #192
Bryan2014
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard County, Victoria county

Quote:
I had a huge bull at 20 yards... problem was he stopped behind a big yucca plant in my blind spot as I drew back. I think he saw the pop up and froze. he went out in the field about 75 yards and looked at me for a few minutes and trotted off.

I saw a couple groups o cows....but they had seen me first. As I was glassing across I saw them looking at me.

I think the pop up is not conducive to Nilgai hunting. If I get drawn again, I'll sit in the brush or on a tripod.

the cows were about 75 yards or so.
I think we hunted the same week last year, I was in unit 1 as well. Mind if I pm about the hunt?
Bryan2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #193
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
The Federal Game Wardens out there are completely asinine jackazzes. At least the ones I've encountered. Present your permit, have parking slip in your truck. Discuss no more. Carry on about your trip. They are not going to be your friend. You have no obligation to speak to them past checking permits. They do not care about anything other than fulfilling their mere obligations to write citations even without solid factual evidence. Been there.

Oh, do not forget, they read this thread. Watch what you post on here...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
they are power hungry wanna bees that prob got picked on in high school. i did not like them at all. treated everyone like they have never hunted b4...we hunted last yr. at laguna. glad i wasnt drawn. lol. saved me 500 bucks
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #194
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk54 View Post
For you guys that have hunted laguna a few times, what is your water strategy for being out in the feild all day? Last year i would take a 3 liter camelback with me every morming and 2 extra water bottles. Found myself really having to ration to make it through the whole day.
put 4 extra water bottle holders on ur mountain bike. and load down ur pack with as many as u can carry!!! i went last year and walked 20 Miles in 2 days watching hunters pass me on mountain bikes then went to the Brownsville pulga and bought a mountain bike for 50$. still have it! i would recommend mounting a gear rack on the back or maybe some kind of deer cart with arm that mounts to ur SEAT post

Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 09-22-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #195
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

2 way radios work well at laguna as long as they arent the cheapos. and wear good hard soled shoes if u are gonna walk the hard Rocky caliche roads i wore rubber boots. killed my feet. then was hard to pedal after i bought a mountain bike.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #196
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2014 View Post
I think we hunted the same week last year, I was in unit 1 as well. Mind if I pm about the hunt?
Don't mind at all. Be glad to talk with ya...
Old 09-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #197
RichExotics10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Val Verde

I was drawn for the 11/1-11/5 hunt. Ready to roll!
RichExotics10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #198
RichExotics10
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Val Verde

Do most people go after the Whitetails or is everyone after the Nilgai?
RichExotics10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #199
Txfire409
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post
I will be after both.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #200
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post
A lot more WT seem to be killed every year but nilgai seem to be the main draw for the place. It definitely was for me.

The rangers there I dealt with are professional enough, some of the rules are a bit silly but then again they get a bunch of DAs through there every year so I don't know where the balance is there... but they've been friendly and helpful enough to me. But like Navy Chief said, they aren't there to be your friend. Don't be a DA, follow the rules even if they are dumb, make sure you pass the attitude test and you'll be alright.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top