Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 09-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.
Default Vortex Binocs -Reviews

Searching for a pair for my Dad to use in Colo cabin. Some viewing distances are over 500 yards, but he already has a telescope for long range. These won't be carried anywhere other than around the windows of the great room and kitchen. Weight isn't an issue, but quality is huge.

Please share reviews.

Thanks.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #2
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I have a pair of Viper HD 10x42s and they are decent for the money. Good clarity and decent low light capability.

The Razors are nice but twice the money, they are a considerable step up from the Vipers though.

I had a pair of Diamondback 10x42s as well and they were ok for $200 binos. Clarity was decent, low light capability was pretty crap though.

I did a side by side with my Vipers and the Diamondbacks I gave to my wife and there was no question, the Vipers blew them away to the point where I wouldnt even reccomend the Diamondbacks unless you just cant spare the extra $200.

Build quality for both the Razors and the Diamondbacks, at least the old gen, are pretty sub par IMO. Diopter adjustment on both are pretty crappy. Armor coating isnt bonded very well and the focus ring on the Vipers is a little gritty.

All in all the Vipers arent a bad option, especially if you can find them for a good deal.

Warranty is excellent, but you will very likely need it.

I'd personally pick Maven binos if I had it to do over again and I didnt have my Swaros but Vortex isnt bad glass.

For glassing 500 yards you will want a tripod adapter, Outdoorsmans makes the best IMO but the Vortex options work pretty well too and are much cheaper.

Last edited by Jspradley; 09-03-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Jspradley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

So do you want reviews of the 120$ pair or the 1200$ pair..?
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
bloodtrail18
Eight Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

I have a pair of Diamondback 10x42s and a pair of Vipers in the same 10x42. Both are decent with the Vipers being a little more clear. I have been moving away from vortex binos and scopes lately because there is a huge difference in price/ quality of their value line and Razor line vs the optics of some other optics companies. I know that sounds about correct but for example, if you take a leupold VX-1 or VX-Freedom and put that up against a vortex crossfire II of the same specs there is a huge difference in clarity and light gathering ability for about the same cost. The quality difference caries up both product lines from the entry level optics through the flagship models.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
mmlreiner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County, Tx

I’ve got a set of Vortex viper HD’s 12x50 and honestly, they’ve been fantastic. I’ve had them beat to heck and back and they’ve never missed a beat. Had them since 2016. I just sent them off for the first time for a repair because a client dropped them and bent one of the eye cups. But they’ve been thrown from a moving truck, fallen from tripods and tree stands, bounced around in the UTV and ATV and still gather great light. Not as much as my $3k leupold scope but still a GREAT set of binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mmlreiner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb County

You should have bought my Razor HD 10x50's in the classifieds a few days ago but they are already gone.
tmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
Jerod
Spike

I have a pair of Viper HD 10x42's and they are super clear. Very good bang for your buck. Amazon also has a good deal going right now on them for what ever stock they have left.
Jerod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
I have a pair of Diamondback 10x42s and a pair of Vipers in the same 10x42. Both are decent with the Vipers being a little more clear. I have been moving away from vortex binos and scopes lately because there is a huge difference in price/ quality of their value line and Razor line vs the optics of some other optics companies. I know that sounds about correct but for example, if you take a leupold VX-1 or VX-Freedom and put that up against a vortex crossfire II of the same specs there is a huge difference in clarity and light gathering ability for about the same cost. The quality difference caries up both product lines from the entry level optics through the flagship models.
This is the same exact experience I have had as well. I tried them and moved on.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top