Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.
Default Securing an ATV at the lease

I just bought a used ATV and I would really rather not trailer it back and forth. I hunt at a friend's ranch plus an adjoining place we lease. We have not had thief problems but of course it is always possible if not inevitable. Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now. I know that a determined thief with the right tools will get it no matter what I do (will have insurance for that) but I'm looking for the best way to thwart casual crooks. I have considered buying one of those locking boots people put on trailers that immobilize one wheel and cover the lug nuts but they look a bit flimsy. There is chain that can't be cut with bolt cutters ($10/ft!) I could buy some of that but under the carport where I plan to keep it there is nothing to chain to. Is there a way to chain it to itself so it can't be rolled? I guess I could dig a big hole and fill it with Quickcrete and anchor the chain to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If a professional thief hits us it I can file an insurance claim - I just want to make stealing it as difficult as possible for wandering meth-heads
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
sideways
Ten Point

Conex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sideways is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
TexasLongball
Ten Point

Hunt In: New Ulm and Pearsall

I drilled a post hole and concreted in a chain. Thick wire rope run through my Ranger and a padlock to discourage would-be thieves.
But you said it right. A determined thief will do anything to get what you have.
TexasLongball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Tbuddyandroby
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw

If it's worth Any amount of $, I would be more concerned with rats chewing your wiring harness up. I've seen this happen to lease trucks and UTV/ATV's. Haul it until you can get a container. I'm no help on securing it out in the open from thieves; sorry.
Tbuddyandroby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’d just dig the hole and drop 2-3 sacks of Quickcrete with some sort of anchor point buried in then cover it back up.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

I keep mine in a locked barn. Ranch owner is out daily. Has worked well for me
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

Take the wheels off and chain it up....
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Chain it through the frame to a large tree. Harbor Freight has heavy duty chains for $30 and a pro series pad lock for $30.
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
WhiskeyTango
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seven Oaks(PolkCounty), Menard, Junction

Run the chain thru the tire and then thru the frame.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
WhiskeyTango is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
rjet
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
If it's worth Any amount of $, I would be more concerned with rats chewing your wiring harness up. I've seen this happen to lease trucks and UTV/ATV's. Haul it until you can get a container. I'm no help on securing it out in the open from thieves; sorry.
Was my first thoughts also. Had them do $1400 worth of damage to my grizzly. Upgraded to a UTV and bought a cargo trailer to store it in for that reason.
rjet is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
TENRMORE
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

I put insurance on mine and take the key out, if somebody wants it they will get it.
TENRMORE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #12
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Conex

even put it in italics for us...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

Trailer it back and forth, would be the best bet. And I know you do not want to do that but leaving it outside is asking for rats,mice and meth heads.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

Been thinking on this too.

Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now

tagged for good info only.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

If it were me I'd just trailer it back and forth unless someone stays there as their residence. If a thief wants it they get it or tear it up trying. I don't leave mine at my ranch cause I don't want to deal with the headache a thief would leave me with.

Back in the day my grandfather had a place near the Red River and it had a brick house, and a concrete floor metal shop. In the shop we had big thick chains concreted in where we would lock the 4 wheeler down. One day we showed up and the whole shop and house were cleaned out. No idea how they got that 4 wheeler out unless they had a grinder or cutter of some sort and plenty of time. After seeing that, I won't leave anything of that much value at my place. They destroyed everything that night.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
I just bought a used ATV and I would really rather not trailer it back and forth. I hunt at a friend's ranch plus an adjoining place we lease. We have not had thief problems but of course it is always possible if not inevitable. Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now. I know that a determined thief with the right tools will get it no matter what I do (will have insurance for that) but I'm looking for the best way to thwart casual crooks. I have considered buying one of those locking boots people put on trailers that immobilize one wheel and cover the lug nuts but they look a bit flimsy. There is chain that can't be cut with bolt cutters ($10/ft!) I could buy some of that but under the carport where I plan to keep it there is nothing to chain to. Is there a way to chain it to itself so it can't be rolled? I guess I could dig a big hole and fill it with Quickcrete and anchor the chain to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If a professional thief hits us it I can file an insurance claim - I just want to make stealing it as difficult as possible for wandering meth-heads
I wouldn't waste my money on a cut proof chain. As mentioned, rats would be my concern.
Graysonhogs is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
RonRon
Nubbin' Buck

A DeWalt cordless grinder can cut through any chain or lock that is made,...…..you need to get it out of sight. You might consider parking it in the brush, covered with a canvas, camo tarp.
RonRon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

A used cargo trailer,hitch lock,and a chain run through a wheel.If it's not a very attractive cargo trailer,you'll never have a thing to worry about.Found one on C.L.several years ago,cheap.Kept corn in too.It was handy at the place.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

John, I third the point about the rats. Those little critters can make short work of your buggy. I have to trailer mine for 6 hours and hate it but it really beats the alternative. After I retire, I will get a storage container, but for now I just suck it up and trailer it.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #20
WhiskeyTango
Ten Point

Hunt In: Seven Oaks(PolkCounty), Menard, Junction

Is it not an option to load it in the bed of your truck?
That would be best and you don't have to trailer it.

I do this during season. Strap my cooler to the back of it and one on the tailgate.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by WhiskeyTango; 09-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
WhiskeyTango is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

Are you able to build a small utility shed, out of sight out of mind? That may help with mice too depending on how well you build it. You could also get a nice cover for it and go park it out in the brush where nobody would know to look.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #22
alien_scones
Four Point

Hunt In: Baird, Callahan, Howe

Rats and mice have done some serious damage to atvs at the camp when left out.

Cargo trailer with a ramp. Sprinkle snake away at the lower door seam keeps little critters out.

A well hidden trail camera looking over camp also helps. Everyone loves tracking down a perp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #23
TA_Fab
Four Point

I take a wheel with me if I think itíll be a problem. Could also take the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA_Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #24
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Like many have said, just due to rats chewing on wires is why I trailer my UTV back and forth.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
bubba joe
Eight Point

i chain mine to my camper
bubba joe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #26
cvanbrunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjet View Post
Was my first thoughts also. Had them do $1400 worth of damage to my grizzly. Upgraded to a UTV and bought a cargo trailer to store it in for that reason.

They hit my ranger... was going to have to replace the entire harness as Polaris uses 1 piece harness but the mechanic had some extra plugs from old harnesses he took out. $100 later I was on my way.

cvanbrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #27
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

If I did not have an indoor secure area or if I could not trailer it I would hide it away from camp in the timber with a camo tarp over it. Rats can be a problem in some areas and not in others. We hunted around Thurber for about 20 years. The ranch trucks and atvs never had any rat chewing damage.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #28
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

When Googling the rat/mice problem with ATVs I saw lots of people saying to use mothballs, dryer sheets, peppermint oil and a product called FreshCab. There were just as many people saying none of those worked for them. The most inventive idea was a guy who said he parks his quad on top of some kind of wire mesh attached to a solar fence charger. I wonder if that would work?
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #29
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

At my old lease, we were lucky to have not had a single theft in the 11 years I was there. One guy left his Ranger out there all the time. Another left his 4-wheelers during the season. I carried mine in the bed of my truck each trip.
The guy who left his 4-wheelers bought two big shipping crates with doors on them. He locked the ATV's up in there (granted, anyone with a crowbar could take the door off quickly).
He had $500 worth of mice damage to his wiring once, and another $350 another time.
For some reason, the Ranger sitting under a covering was never attacked by the rodents.
Mice also chewed up the little air tube in the gas tank on my ATV stored inside my barn at home.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #30
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Quote:
The most inventive idea was a guy who said he parks his quad on top of some kind of wire mesh attached to a solar fence charger. I wonder if that would work?
Hmmmm...

Last edited by BrianL; 09-11-2019 at 04:20 PM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #31
Runnin4D
Four Point

Quote:
When Googling the rat/mice problem with ATVs I saw lots of people saying to use mothballs, dryer sheets, peppermint oil and a product called FreshCab. There were just as many people saying none of those worked for them. The most inventive idea was a guy who said he parks his quad on top of some kind of wire mesh attached to a solar fence charger. I wonder if that would work?
Sure would, if the thief were barefoot...
Runnin4D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #32
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I left my Ranger at a lease once for a month, then it was in the shop for two weeks. Rats ! Never again....
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #33
dhconsult
Nubbin' Buck

My buddy and I stored ours outside unlocked but under a covered area one season. The rats loved his atv and did some work on mine as well. Bought a covered trailer with ramp on the back. Never had a problem since then. 12 years. Trailer Doors have locks and a lock on the trailer tongue. Again if someone wants it they will get it. But at least the rats canít eat it. Good Luck

dhconsult is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #34
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Chain and padlock it to something is all you can do. If they want it they will get.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #35
Triple 7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

insurance is cheaper than some of these ideas. I parked mine in the brush away from camp for years and never had an issue with it.
Triple 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #36
huntandfishguy6
Six Point

We never had any mice problems leaving them out. We would hide them in the wood , locked up with a chain. As added piece of mind we would also cover them with a camo tarp.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #37
SLICK_N_STICKY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Crockett,Tx & Warren,Tx

Build a small enclosure just big enough to put the buggy or four-wheeler in. You could even make it look like a picnic table or something.
SLICK_N_STICKY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #38
Brazos Hunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where invited

I have a 12" guide wire anchor in the ground with logging chain through it, the wheel and the boat trailer along with a tongue lock to discourage honest thiefs at the coast from borrowing our boat. You could do something similar for a wheeler.

Michael
Brazos Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #39
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

How about a self storage in the nearest town. Rent it for a few months during the season, Pick up the trailer on the way in, drop it off on the way out. Insure it for theft. Also have dry safe storage for anything else you may not want to haul back and forth. we did this at Brownwood for a couple of seasons.
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #40
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Are there any close neighbors where you could store it when you aren't there?
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #41
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

At my place in Coleman I put mine in the barn and lock it up. Land owners is through every couple days and keeps an eye on stuff. At my place in Young county I pull it under my 5th wheel and put a chain around it. If a thief wants it they’re going to get it!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #42
locolobo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

If a thief wants it bad enough he will get it! If a rat wants it bad enough he will get to it. A 5 lb rat can squeeze through a 1"x1" hole!
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #43
mfsasser
Four Point

Hunt In: Bee Co., Presidio Co., Mavrick Co.

Any of yall with storage problems in South Texas that go through Beeville give us a call. We are a full service vehicle storage facility that will keep the rodents out and your vehicle running and clean year round. All you have to do is let us know when you will be coming through and we will have your buggy ready to go on your trailer, all you need to do is hook up and roll. When you drop it off after the hunt we will get it cleaned up and stored until your next trip.

http://www.sportsmans-services.com
mfsasser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #44
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Conex only for me
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #45
LittleE
Spike

Peppermint oil spray for the rats. LoJack for when they cut the chain. They found mine 2 hrs after I reported it stolen.
LittleE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top