Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida Keys vacation advice?

Good morning GS.

Wife and I are looking to book a trip to the keys. I like the idea of flying into Miami and renting a car, staying at Islamorada and doing our own thing.

We'd like VRBO or all inclusive.

We def want a fishing trip so if anyone has recommendations let them fly.

Also wanna do some historical stuff b/c i'm a nerd

And we're foodies so we will take any restaurant advice you have.

Must-do's. Help us out!

I did a review on Key West on here. If you make it all the way down there, I’d highly recommend Hog Fish Bar and Grill. Absolutely the best hog fish sandwich (or any kind of fish sandwich/taco) I’ve ever eaten.

It is off the beaten path and you’ll question me as you’re driving to it, but 100% worth it.

Comment

If you got to Key West, make dinner reservations at Sunset Key. Take the free ferry over and watch the sunset at dinner.

Comment

When are you headed that way? We have a trip planned last part of May. Going to fly in to Miami, go to a ball game see some sights there and then head South for the rest of the week.

Comment

For those flying into Miami, let me suggest making dinner reservations at the Rusty Pelican - best view at night of Miami from Key Biscayne. Great food.

Comment

Originally posted by Txfshrmn View Post
            When are you headed that way? We have a trip planned last part of May. Going to fly in to Miami, go to a ball game see some sights there and then head South for the rest of the week.
            April 9-13

Comment

I grew up and Florida and have gone to the keys just about every year. We stay in Marathon, but we always fish with Two Conchs Sportfishing. They've grown over the last few years and have plenty of boats to choose. They cover anything from bonefish on the flats to deep bluewater.

Comment

Go to Robbies and feed the tarpon. I think it is on Islamorada Key. Is was one of the things I remember the most about our trip. You won’t believe the size of those suckers.

Comment

We stayed at Cheeca lodge and had a great time. We caught snook and had several tarpon hook ups but no luck on landing. We did a fishing trip to the back country if the Everglades National park. As for food Ziggy and mad dogs was amazing
                  Attached Files

Comment

I was looking at Key West today. AA flies direct from DFW but my lord the lodging prices! Looks like the closest I'll get to Key West is Key Largo!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve stayed at Casa Marina in Key West and Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key. Both are great places. Key West is very tourist oriented and Hawks Cay is a fishing resort, but is a awesome. Duck Key is next to Marathon key which is about the half way point to Key West

Comment

Originally posted by axisguy View Post
                        Go to Robbies and feed the tarpon. I think it is on Islamorada Key. Is was one of the things I remember the most about our trip. You won’t believe the size of those suckers.
                        Feeding the tarpon at Robbies was great. We flew into Fort Lauderdale about 6 years ago. At that time, flights were somewhat cheaper to Lauderdale at that time.

Had a great time. The only downside was traffic can get crazy. We went right at the end of August. We were told that that was a slow week or two for them. Many vacationers are back to school and after Labor Day, the retired crowd starts picking up.

Comment

Look up Sanibel Island...best kept hidden secret in SW Florida

Comment

I lived in Islamorada for 20+ years fishing for a living. I can point you in the right direction to a few of the best captains down there... You want to go on a sportfish boat or backcountry?

Also, catching tarpon, bonefish, and sharks is fairly easy to do from land.

Islamorada is the best part of the keys.

Comment

We stayed at Anglers Reef it was super nice and on the water. Have to go to Robbies and feed the tarpon.

Comment

Working...
                              X