Catalpa worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalpa worms

Got a big trot lining trip planned next month. Does anyone have any worms frozen that they would sell or get rid of. Thanks in advance

No but I have several big trees and you can come get them if they have any on them. Hell you can take the trees home with you!

Comment

I haven't seen those worms in over 20-years. Use to catch a lot of fish in Louisiana using them.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Used to have them in southern Arkansas but never seen them here. Both my neighbor an I have trees in Leon county.

Comment

I wish I could help. Haven’t seen any on our trees yet. Where you gonna run lines at?

Comment

Catawba Gold Bait, LLC is a wholesale provider of Catalpa/Catawba worms used for fishing bait.

Comment

When are the worms normally on the trees? I've had this place 2 years and haven't seen any but wasn't looking either.

Comment

Late June to July is when they travel up the tree to eat the leaves.
                They actually reside in the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  When are the worms normally on the trees? I've had this place 2 years and haven't seen any but wasn't looking either.
                  I have always heard you will never have a crop unless you put them on there the first time. Some of the other guys may chime in that know this to be for sure. We had a couple trees at my grandpas growing up and we put some worms on there one year. We got a crop of them the next few years and then none after that. The birds will wreck havoc on those worms! My mom lives there to this day and 20 years later still no more worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                    Late June to July is when they travel up the tree to eat the leaves.
                    They actually reside in the ground.

This is what I was thinking also. I bet someone sells them on Amazon or one of those type sites!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                      Used to have them in southern Arkansas but never seen them here. Both my neighbor an I have trees in Leon county.
                      We had two trees in Centerville and no worms
                      Kinda cool tree though

Comment

Hoping someone has some in the freezer to buy. We used all I put up last year and my trees only had one crop in June. Maybe this year will be better.

Comment

I know where a ton are in summer, but don’t have any saved in the freezer. Not sure how everyone else does it, but We used to drop them in boiling water then store them in the freezer in bags of cornmeal. they stay whole and firm skinned, and won’t stick together like that. I’m not 100% sure about it, but I think if you pick every single one you see off the tree there won’t be enough moths there to lay eggs or whatever they do later on. Or if your tree doesn’t flower for some reason the moths won’t come back.. Also have heard that if you’re in town and they spray for mosquitoes it will kill them off.

Comment

My freezer went out a couple months ago, or I'd have some. I have a tank full of bait fish, if you decide to go that route.

Comment

There's a fella just south of New Boston that sells em

Comment

Working...
                              X