No announcement yet.

Texas Lion Hunting Techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, you must locate them. Find tracks, scat, kills, game pics, etc. A dead cow or horse carcass can be a good place to look for tracks, and if confirmed, might be a good place to hunt as it may hold it in an area for a few days.

Comment

Dogs for sure.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dogs, calling or a trap. #3 will hold a mt lion.
        If you call have at least 2 people to watch all directions.

Mt lion will "tree" in a pile of rocks too, see above.

Comment

#1 - Choose an area where a "lion" actually lives

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
            Stake out a baby goat, cut his ear. He will cry all night and attract any locals !
            Or if you're not into the whole animal cruelty thing buy a predator call.......

This is 2021. That sort of technology does exist now.

Comment

Call a hounds man that has experience catching big cats

Comment

Originally posted by KLAPPER View Post
                I'll start by saying I have spent many days of my life driving around what I would consider to be prime lion country while hunting and pumping wells in Jack and Palo Pinto Co. And I have never laid eyes on one in TX personally but figuratively speaking what tactics would you employ if you were to want to waste time hunting one? I've always heard they have a huge range but assuming you knew one had been using an area you had permission to hunt what would you do?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                While there may be an occasional lion in Jack and Palo Pinto Counties, this is not where I would go to hunt lions. Go West Young Man! There is also a pretty good population along the Nueces from Cotulla and east towards Freer.
                Good luck!
                Adios,
                Gary

Comment

I've been lucky to watch 2 cats at work at different times. Both in Burnet county. One we just happened to glass out by Buchanan. One in Joppa, leaving the ranch about 3am, was in a tree close to the gate we were trying to get out of. We watched it for about 30 minutes before firing shots to get her to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    Or if you're not into the whole animal cruelty thing buy a predator call.......

This is 2021. That sort of technology does exist now.

We have wild spanish goats around here that are bad as pigs... dont get all spca on us

Comment

If you find a fresh kill that's been covered up with the surrounding debris...sit on the carcass as it will return.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                        While there may be an occasional lion in Jack and Palo Pinto Counties, this is not where I would go to hunt lions. Go West Young Man! There is also a pretty good population along the Nueces from Cotulla and east towards Freer.
                        Good luck!
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Agree
                        I’ve hunted in Jack & PP counties for approx 15+ years & have seen tracks once & one other physical sighting.
                        You do have a chance but going west is good advice
                        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                          We have wild spanish goats around here that are bad as pigs... dont get all spca on us
                          As if that matters? We have a lot of deer around here. Should I cut their ears off and shoot coyotes that come in when I find a fawn? That's the stupidest **** I've ever heard. And a lame excuse to be mean to something. You know what else you have a lot of? Mexicans.....do you feed baby Mexicans to mountain lions?
                          Last edited by okrattler; 02-21-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Hunt that little piece of Corp land between the Steiner Valley Ranch,and White Bluff Resort,on Lake Whitney..Dead serious

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                              Hunt that little piece of Corp land between the Steiner Valley Ranch,and White Bluff Resort,on Lake Whitney..Dead serious
                              This

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                                Good luck!
                                Adios,
                                Gary
                                X2

Apply "Sutton's law" which is based on the story that when bank robber Willie Sutton was asked why he robbed banks he replied, "Because that's where the money is".

Start hunting “where the lion is”, and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X