Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9000 Watt Predator Conversion To Propane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad converted a 6500w generator to propane and it sucked a tank down in less than an hour. I have a dual fuel 3500w and tried propane once. Sucked a tank down in 1.5 hours. Unless you have a steady supply, it’s not with it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by txyz View Post
      My dad converted a 6500w generator to propane and it sucked a tank down in less than an hour. I have a dual fuel 3500w and tried propane once. Sucked a tank down in 1.5 hours. Unless you have a steady supply, it’s not with it in my opinion.
      I figure a 500lb propane tank should suffice quite awhile. I don’t personally want to go outside in 2° weather in the middle of the night and refill with regular gasoline....but that’s just me.

Comment

My 8750 watt predator has done good so far on gas. Just filled it up and it will last around 10 hrs. When i filled it back up this morning after running all night, still have about 1/4 tank left.

Comment

9000 Watt Predator Conversion To Propane?

Tagging along on this one. Got one I’d like to set up on propane.
          But it’s not a predator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you get the same conversion for natural gas to run off my house. I have a bib to hook into Ng that I could use

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
              Can you get the same conversion for natural gas to run off my house. I have a bib to hook into Ng that I could use
              Yes. They sell aftermarket tri-fuel carburetor kits. You will probably need a regulator at you bib hook up. Generators on propane or natural gas use a lot more fuel than gas depending on the load.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-17-2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Yep. You see these guys on You Tube with their new propane generator hooked up to their 20 lb gas grill tanks. The 20 lb. propane tanks hold 4.6 gallons of propane. You put a load on that generator you better have 25 to 30 of the 20 pound tanks on hand for any lengthy power outage.[emoji44] Best bet would be to get a dedicated 250 gallon (small) or a 500 gallon (medium) propane tank.

Here is our 500 gallon tank that we run our home on daily. You can only fill a propane tank to 80-85% full so this tank actually holds just over 400 gallons when full. I also keep two 33 lbs tanks full on my RV and two 20 lb. grill tanks full.

We are very fortunate here in Iowa that propane is cheap. We pre-buy during the summer. We pre-bought 1000 gallons at $1.20 a gallon. This will last us until next summer and then we will pre-buy again for next year. If you don't pre-buy at "normally" lower summer rates you will pay the current price which in winter high demand is more $$$.

Our propane distributor just filled us up on February 9th. 337 gallons.

Yeah.... I don't care if you see my address.[emoji846] Come up and visit. We will drink some Crown....and if anyone is coming to get my guns they will get my ammo first !!!

Preppers gonna Prep !!!

Comment

Man ... at that rate I might rather pour gas without a separate dedicated tank. Hate to run out during something like this and not be able to get somebody out there to fill it... plus if you heat the house with the same tank, your eating into your future warmth.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Man ... at that rate I might rather pour gas without a separate dedicated tank. Hate to run out during something like this and not be able to get somebody out there to fill it... plus if you heat the house with the same tank, your eating into your future warmth.
                    Yes. Exactly. Propane is a good clean, easily storable fuel, but is not as effecient as gasoline. I keep 50 gallons of gas on hand at all times. I will periodically use it in our vehicles to keep the stored supply fresh. Cool thing is out here in farm county there are several Ag services that will deliver fuel (gas, diesel, hydraulic fluid) right to your house. Our guy always calls or pulls in to see if we need a fill up on our gas storage tank.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-17-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                      Thinking of buying a 9000W Predator Generator.

I have a 6500W and it has been an awesome machine.

Has anyone ever converted a generator of this size to a Dual Fuel Carburetor and ran it on Propane?

If so, how long does a 20lbs Propane tank last running wide open?

My current home is on Propane for stove and heaters, just seems like an easier option to run a small back up generator on propane as well.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I have a Briggs 8000 W. Just one thing to consider is as you get a larger generator, it is less portable. While they still can be wheeled around pretty easily, it can tough to load in a truck by yourself. I love the extra power and even run my crackerbox welder with it. But I am considering buying one of the little Harbor Freight generators to run lights, charge phones, etc. and easily move where I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                        Yes. Exactly. Propane is a good clean, easily storable fuel, but is not as effecient as gasoline. I keep 50 gallons of gas on hand at all times. I will periodically use it in our vehicles to keep the stored supply fresh. Cool think is out here in farm county there are several Ag services that will deliver fuel (gas, diesel, hydraulic fluid) right to your house. Our guy always calls or pulls in to see if we need a fill up on our gas storage tank.
                        That’s my understanding as well after my research. While propane burns cleaner, it’s not as efficient as gasoline under the same load conditions. That being said, I wonder if some people are actually misinterpreting and that these backup generators are running on NG vs propane?
                        According to the guy in the vid below...almost twice the amount of fuel (in cubic feet an hour) is consumed on natural gas versus consumed on propane. Plus there is a 15 percent reduction in the power output of the generator on natural gas verses propane.
                        And remember guys, while YES it’s expensive, we are talking being a BACKUP power source here in an emergency (hopefully short term) situation.
                        Last edited by RascalArms; 02-17-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I have a 6000 watt generator that needs a carb kit put in. Timing is everything and procrastination does as well

Comment

If your heater is on gas, I’m guessing that the electricity needed to run the blower and outside unit is not a tremendous amount

Could I install a disconnect, to protect the city lines, shut off all the other breakers, and put a pig tail to run a generator to power the home heater?

Is that expensive to do?

Comment

How long does a generator run on a small propane tank ?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                                How long does a generator run on a small propane tank ?
                                Not long. 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the load. There is 4.6 gallons of propane in the small 20lb grill tanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X