Yellowstone Park... looking for info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yellowstone Park... looking for info.

Considering a summer trip to Yellowstone Park from Texas. Wife, me, son(22) and daughter(11). Looking for any info, tips, what to do or not do, stay or not stay, things to do along the way, musts, hows the driving, best route, fishing tips or guides or diy, camping, hikes etc....

This will be our first trip up this part of the country. Ready... GO

In! Wife wants to do the same trip.

Comment

Don’t really have any tips but this is a very cool place to visit. I think y’all will have a great time.

Edit:
      Bring binoculars for everyone so you don’t have to share!

Comment

When I go back I'll probably want to get a sticker or signage made that says "Stop stopping for stupid buffalo!"

A lone bull crossing the road will cause traffic jams as everyone wants a photo. Get up north in the valleys where you see hundreds at a time and that's worth stopping for!

Comment

We did it 2 years ago. Incredible. Like being on another planet. Fishing in July is the best, we went in June and some of the lake and streams were frozen.

Comment

One of our favorite trips as a family. Animals are out mostly in the morning and evenings, so plan accordingly. Stay in the park, take some snacks and sandwich stuff so you can save money, etc. Bring off as some places mosquitoes are unbearable. Sweatshirt is necessary as there is still snow in some areas.

Comment

Be prepared for a traffic and inconsiderate oblivious people. Other than those things and the Buffalo, it’s a beautiful place.

Comment

When you hit Yellowstone hitting the Grand Tetons is pretty much a must. They aren't far apart. Take the tram up to the top of the Grand Tetons. Jackson, WY is just South of the Tetons and is a beautiful place. There is good fishing and whitewater rafting in the area. I liked the Firearm Museum in Cody, WY. I have camped along the Shoshone river and stayed at some of the hotels in the area. It will be cold at night even in August.

Comment

Northeast quadrant for least folks, most wildlife. Geothermal stuff is amazing, but decide before you go how much time you want to give to it. Most folks flock there, leading to traffic and delays. That's said, see old faithful. I would stay at the Inn there one night. Very historic and allows time at the geothermal area early or late with less of a crowd. People are rude, severity can depend on culture, just be ready for it. You can't stay too long, plan to set up a home base at a few different locations so you can focus on different areas. You will want to go back.

Comment

There is no shortage of Yellowstone info on this site. Type the word Yellowstone on a thread search and pages of informative threads come up. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Its too late to reserve anýthing. We got ours about 1 year in advance. I would recommend reserve it for summer 2021.

Good Luck

Comment

Many overlook the NE part of the park due to the further distance, but the scenery is outstanding, and I highly recommend making time for this drive:

One of the most breathtaking routes to Yellowstone is the 68-mile Beartooth Highway - named a National Scenic Byway “All-American Road.”

Comment

Check for lodging in West Yellowstone. They have a gazillion motels/cabins.

Comment

I prefer later in the fall after school starts back up. Columbus day weekend is generally the last weekend the park is open and it is not crowded.

How ever many days you plan on spending double it and it still wont be enough time.

Take the best camera and binoculars you can find.

Comment

We made this trip last summer. Left here May 26th I think. Our plan was to beat some of the crowd. It was really not too crowded while we where there, but each day it seemed to get worse. Pulled a travel trailer and made it a 2 week trip. We took our time on the way up. stopped the first night in Amarillo. From there we went to the royal gorge. We took the train ride through the canyon. That was pretty cool. Next stop was in Steamboat. We ate a little burger joint and everyone on the patio was lighting up. It was kind of odd but no big deal. We then went to the headwaters campground. It is about 3 miles south of the south entrance of Yellowstone. We spent one day checking out the Tetons and Jackson area. The next few days we hit Yellowstone. We hit all the major things to look at. You can see tons on the loop thru the park. We got out and did a few short hikes. It would have been neat to get off the beaten path and explore a little more. I was a little disappointed in old faithful, but that probably just me. When looking that the Grand Prismatic Spring, take the trail up above it and look down on it.
                              You really can't see it on the trail that goes down by it. Watch for wildlife when driving, especially at night. Its an incredible place. You will not be disappointed. Get the national parks pass. It will save you money.

Comment

Working...
                              X