Do truck bed covers increase MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do truck bed covers increase MPG?

In negotiations to buy a new Tundra. I know I will put a locking bed cover on it for storage. Just wondering if they help increase MPG.

Thanks for info!

Not according to mythbusters!!

Comment

Originally posted by maglite View Post
      Not according to mythbusters!!
      Did they do one with a bed cover? I know they did tailgate up, down, no tailgate, and cargo net.
      Dont remember them doing a bed cover.

Comment

Not according to the Mythbusters show. The open bed with the tail gate up creates a vortex that helps to lift the truck making it some what lighter. In their testing, any attempt to make the truck aerodynamic caused the fuel mileage to drop.

Comment

I've wondered the same thing. So does the tailgate down make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Genevieve View Post
            I've wondered the same thing. So does the tailgate down make a difference?
            Nope. Tailgate down gave the worst mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
              Not according to the Mythbusters show. The open bed with the tail gate up creates a vortex that helps to lift the truck making it some what lighter. In their testing, any attempt to make the truck aerodynamic caused the fuel mileage to drop.
              would this be the reason the beer cans swirl around in the bed of the truck...not my truck I'm just sayin I don't drink beer

Comment

would this be the reason the beer cans swirl around in the bed of the truck...not my truck I'm just sayin I don't drink beer
                Bingo, that's the vortex effect.

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                  Did they do one with a bed cover? I know they did tailgate up, down, no tailgate, and cargo net.
                  Dont remember them doing a bed cover.
                  No Frank they didnt do one with a cover but I will say it will change the VORTEX affect that they showed thus adversly affecting the MPG

Comment

While you are negotiating make sure you have them give you free oil changes because the cost of a oil change on a 2010 tundra is around $55 for a conventional oil change. Chances are it will be more than that depending on where u go.

Comment

Hey Rob, if you want more MPG? Do the Vortex & leave the tailgate up. If you want grips? Tail gate down. Or do what I do, keep the tank full of gas. (Ever noticed, your gas gauge drops quickly when it reaches ½ way full of gas, on long drives out of town?) Keeping tank full will save your fuel pump last longer as well. These are Just my experienced on all trucks I’ve owned. Try it, you’ll be shock. Now, locking bed storage? MPG dropd but Grips increased, Keep us posted...

Comment

Originally posted by Scrambler View Post
                        While you are negotiating make sure you have them give you free oil changes because the cost of a oil change on a 2010 tundra is around $55 for a conventional oil change. Chances are it will be more than that depending on where u go.
                        What?

Comment

LOL, women and beer farts! oooh!

Comment

Originally posted by scrambler View Post
                            while you are negotiating make sure you have them give you free oil changes because the cost of a oil change on a 2010 tundra is around $55 for a conventional oil change. Chances are it will be more than that depending on where u go.
                            the 2010 trucks use 0-20 synthetic oil, you will do the oil change every 10k miles.

Comment

I think it will technically drop your mpg, but we're only talking about maybe 1 mpg difference. Don't pay $500 for it just to save gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X