Glen at West Houston Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
    Triple Edge Archery in Dayton. I am not at Liberty to say why.
    Is this a good thing or bad? Just curious as Triple Edge is my go to. I hope good, cause I really like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      We had a young guy come in our shop not long ago and announced “I only want jimmy joe bob (one of our techs/fake name) to ever touch my bow”. Well old JJB did all the work on his bow the next few times he was in the shop. Well about a week before season, this same customer came in and had dry fired his bow. Well, old JJB had gone out of the country for 2 weeks, soooo...all the other perfectly capable techs looked at each other, filled out a repair order and said see ya when old JJB gets back to town.
      The guy had faith in the tech. I sure hope your post is heavy on the sarcasm. If someone refused to help a fella I’d never step foot back in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        Is this a good thing or bad? Just curious as Triple Edge is my go to. I hope good, cause I really like them.

Post had nothing to do with Triple Edge, it just said the he knows why Glen left WHA but he was not at liberty to disclose those reasons.

Comment

We had a young guy come in our shop not long ago and announced “I only want jimmy joe bob (one of our techs/fake name) to ever touch my bow”. Well old JJB did all the work on his bow the next few times he was in the shop. Well about a week before season, this same customer came in and had dry fired his bow. Well, old JJB had gone out of the country for 2 weeks, soooo...all the other perfectly capable techs looked at each other, filled out a repair order and said see ya when old JJB gets back to town.

I can see that if it was presented by the customer in that way, some have a little more tact and pre-planning to make sure the preferred tech does the work without alienating the others.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            I can see that if it was presented by the customer in that way, some have a little more tact and pre-planning to make sure the preferred tech does the work without alienating the others.
            He’s a great customer and he knew he’d made an error. Lol!! We tease him frequently about it. Hell, I won’t even touch his arrows...until I give him crap about it.

Point being, careful of the “jimmy joe bob” is the only guy who touches my bow thing. There are lots and lots of guys qualified to work on your bow. It’s not freaking rocket science.

I’ve said it myself by the way. Figured out later it wasn’t the greatest idea.
            Last edited by Fishndude; 01-27-2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

He’s a great customer and he knew he’d made an error. Lol!! We tease him frequently about it. Hell, I won’t even touch his arrows...until I give him crap about it.

Point being, careful of the “jimmy joe bob” is the only guy who touches my bow thing. There are lots and lots of guys qualified to work on your bow. It’s not freaking rocket science.

I’ve said it myself by the way. Figured out later it wasn’t the greatest idea.

Your correct but you know well as I some guys are passionate about it, study it and use it themselves while others do just enough to get by.

Comment

That may be a true statement about working on bows not being rocket science but there are a hell of allot more auto mechanics, electricians and plumbers in the Houston area than qualified bow technicians and out of the less than 10 people out there I would let touch my bow, only a few of them actually do it professionally. Also, in most bow shops there is a huge difference between the number 1 or 2 technician’s work and the number 3 or 4 guys there. To go even further, setting up bows is just one aspect of “working on a bow”, restringing is another and there is a heck of allot more to restringing a bow than just getting a new set of strings on it....... how about cam rotation? Yoke tuning? Cam synchronization, excessive cam/idler wheel lean, being in proper tune, not just proper timing? What to do when the cam is over/under rotated? How about finding someone that can work on single, binary, hybrid (cam 1/2), dual or no cam systems without missing a beat? How about performing all these tasks while 5 people talk to you at once and the phone is ringing off the hook and still being able to sell a father a $449 kit bow package for his child that has never shot a bow before, install a new drop away arrow rest, fix an improperly installed peep and loop from a department store or ebay bow and close the deal on an $1699.99 mathews vrx all at the same time while keeping a smile on your face during the 3 other conversations about fantastic hunts your customers just returned from while you were stuck in the shop making sure all the parts and new strings you ordered last week that just arrived get installed so your valued customers can make their dream hunt in africa or a 2 day opening weekend trip to their local deer lease.......... yep, not rocket science but there are not many rocket scientists that have the skill set that Glenn and I and a handful of others possess in this industry. Someone like him will be highly valued in a service oriented shop like Triple Edge Archery. He is a huge (no big boy jokes) addition to my already fantastic team/bow shop family.

Now to agree with something fishndude said. I have had employees get their feelings hurt when a customer only wants me to work on their bow. I realize it is a compliment to me and not meant as an insult to the employee, just as I have been on the other side of it when a customer asks for a technician they would rather do the work than me. I personally try to task my staff based off their skill sets and interests, some are better sellers than techs and vice versa but having customers ask for your technician instead of the owner/manager is probably a goal of shop owners/managers everywhere assuming the manager/owner is a skilled technician and not just a desk jocky.
                Last edited by FatSam; 01-28-2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

You seem offended. Lol! My comments were directed at posters, not your shop or Glen. Just a random story about an in shop occurrence.

So, “less than 10 people” you’d let work on your bow is greater than 1. Thanks for helping make my point.

And $1699 for a VRX? We need to up our prices apparently.

Glen sounds like a great dude. Glad he’s on your team.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                    My choice of words could of been a little better. Glen is awesome. I hope it works out best for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      You have to drive to Liberty just to say why?

It’s a 5 minute drive hurry up!
                      lol. Yea I should of used a better choice of words. I can take it.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                        If you were in liberty could you then tell us why?
                        Yea I should of worded my quote better. But, No I will not tell you. Go ask Glen or WHA.

Comment

Originally posted by FatSam View Post
                          That may be a true statement about working on bows not being rocket science but there are a hell of allot more auto mechanics, electricians and plumbers in the Houston area than qualified bow technicians and out of the less than 10 people out there I would let touch my bow, only a few of them actually do it professionally. Also, in most bow shops there is a huge difference between the number 1 or 2 technician’s work and the number 3 or 4 guys there. To go even further, setting up bows is just one aspect of “working on a bow”, restringing is another and there is a heck of allot more to restringing a bow than just getting a new set of strings on it....... how about cam rotation? Yoke tuning? Cam synchronization, excessive cam/idler wheel lean, being in proper tune, not just proper timing? What to do when the cam is over/under rotated? How about finding someone that can work on single, binary, hybrid (cam 1/2), dual or no cam systems without missing a beat? How about performing all these tasks while 5 people talk to you at once and the phone is ringing off the hook and still being able to sell a father a $449 kit bow package for his child that has never shot a bow before, install a new drop away arrow rest, fix an improperly installed peep and loop from a department store or ebay bow and close the deal on an $1699.99 mathews vrx all at the same time while keeping a smile on your face during the 3 other conversations about fantastic hunts your customers just returned from while you were stuck in the shop making sure all the parts and new strings you ordered last week that just arrived get installed so your valued customers can make their dream hunt in africa or a 2 day opening weekend trip to their local deer lease.......... yep, not rocket science but there are not many rocket scientists that have the skill set that Glenn and I and a handful of others possess in this industry. Someone like him will be highly valued in a service oriented shop like Triple Edge Archery. He is a huge (no big boy jokes) addition to my already fantastic team/bow shop family.

Now to agree with something fishndude said. I have had employees get their feelings hurt when a customer only wants me to work on their bow. I realize it is a compliment to me and not meant as an insult to the employee, just as I have been on the other side of it when a customer asks for a technician they would rather do the work than me. I personally try to task my staff based off their skill sets and interests, some are better sellers than techs and vice versa but having customers ask for your technician instead of the owner/manager is probably a goal of shop owners/managers everywhere assuming the manager/owner is a skilled technician and not just a desk jocky.
                          Boy now you said it perfectly. I go in the bow zone and I get Richard to work on mine. I don't know how they do it with all the distractions. What a great guy Glen is to congratulations on your new hire. Now if you could get the other big fish [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I am glad to see Triple Edge is still in business. I was one of their first customers when they opened their initial shop..

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
                              WHA is 15 minutes from me. But now, I gotta drive all the way to Dayton to get my bow worked on!
                              You work in the neighborhood!

Comment

Originally posted by trhunter View Post
                                Yea I should of worded my quote better. But, No I will not tell you. Go ask Glen or WHA.
                                Snitches get stitches?

Comment

Working...
                                X