Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Huntingfool
Eight Point

Default Thoughts on Ram Trucks?

been a Ford F150 guy for 30 plus years. Up until my most recent truck I loved them. My experience tells me Ford is going downhill. Horrible customer service and many issues.

So....... I am thinking about looking into a Ram - wife had one 20 years ago and it was a mess - not a well made truck.

Are the current Rams overall good quality? Thanks for the input
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
topduarte
Pope & Young

I had both an 04 ram and a 12 dakota. Both were great trucks with no issues at all.
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Still not well made. My brother, dad and I all drive 3/4 ton diesels. I have a Ford and they have Dodges. My ford has as many miles as theirs combined without a single rattle. Theirs sound like they’re constantly driving down a dirt road.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

some will say yes, some will say no. I am not brand loyal, I think as a whole they are all just fine, there are probably a few in all brands that have a problem sometimes, and then there are a lot of people that just enjoy complaining and u will never please

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 with 80K on it, no problems w it. And no problems with the Toyota before that, and the Chev before that. No telling what the next one will be

Buy what you like
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’ve had 4 RAMs. 3 2500 Cummins, and a 2500 Hemi. 11’ , 2 - 12’s, and a 14’. Everyone had major issues far too early in its life. The only that almost killed me was the final straw. Brakes completely failed while driving down the highway doing 80, then the front driver side wheel wheel popped up in fire. I called our district manager from the side of the road and told him to get me a new truck, and it better not be a RAM if he wanted to retain me. I had a 15’ Duramax shortly after.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
tx_basser
Six Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

Go look at 10-12 year old vehicles. Toyota, Ford, GM all hold their value.. Ram not so much. Isnt just a coincidence
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #7
JTRichardson
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas, in your stand when you aint there :)

I have a 2018 ram 1500 - 21k miles and no issues thus far.

My first vehicle was a dodge and it was an absolute nightmare, so I drove fords and such until this one. I’m not brand loyal, only loyal to a price tag when it comes to vehicles. Right now you could probably get a heck of a deal on a new 2019 ram, that’s what I did last year (bought mine in Jan of 19) and felt that I got a really good deal.

They’ve improved the interior immensely, and the 5.7 that comes in them is a great engine. I’ve not heard such good things about the 3/4 ton trucks, but overall it seems that Ram improved quality where they could while still keeping the price manageable

Last edited by JTRichardson; 01-12-2020 at 07:14 PM.
JTRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I’ve had 4 RAMs. 3 2500 Cummins, and a 2500 Hemi. 11’ , 2 - 12’s, and a 14’. Everyone had major issues far too early in its life. The only that almost killed me was the final straw. Brakes completely failed while driving down the highway doing 80, then the front driver side wheel wheel popped up in fire. I called our district manager from the side of the road and told him to get me a new truck, and it better not be a RAM if he wanted to retain me. I had a 15’ Duramax shortly after.
I had a ram with a complete brake failure also
I also fell into the back seat one day when the bolts broke holding the front seat down
Can’t recommend a ford 250-350 due to the death wobble and a horribly cramped engine space
Never had any problems with the 2 duramax we had/have
I do love the Cummins in a ram though

Last edited by pilar; 01-12-2020 at 07:16 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Ozona

I recently traded my 2013 F150 for a Ram 2500. I like it so far as a truck. But the Ford was nicer. Ram makes a good truck though. I had a 2007 Mega Cab and didnít have any issues with it. I traded it at 120,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

1/2 ton daily driver, my second choice to a Tacoma.
3/4 ton and up hard work hauler? Nah.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Had some minor troubles with my current Ford 2010 F 150 but always got me there. It may be my last truck and would take off to Anywhere in it today 10 years old. Owned all the rest and liked several but never gave me the confidence my Ford offers. Dodge was a NO for a long time. The newer seem to have come a long ways. Know a family bought two of em (His and Hers) and lovin em. Might consider again. The old Hemi reintroduced is a good power plant. The GM 5.3 is too. Ford is well Ford. Eco is not what I expected and own one as well as a 4.6. Prefer the 4.6 and wish I still had my 5.4. Technology is throwing too many experiments we are the testers. Odd times to pick a truck. Where is my 4.9 straight 6 from years ago?
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

I had enough issues with a 2018 Ram 2500 to get rid of it around 20K Miles. Had transmission work and a rear end rebuild by that point.

Honestly, I think itís a crap shoot on the brand anymore. Every one seems to have its own issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #13
Twist
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Bought a new Ram 1500 in September 2014.

Brakes at 39k and almost 116k on it now. tires and normal maintenance otherwise. Easily the best truck I’ve ever owned and I’ve had all of the Big 3 previously.

That said, pick the one you like best and take care of it, it’ll take care of you.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:24 PM   #14
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I always ran Dodge with Cummins for hot shotting. I ran several just over 500k and I still have an 04' that is some where around the 340k mark. I never had the noise issues on any of my Dodge trucks. I think that is a lot of internet gossip. If you take care of it, they do good in my experience. My boss has 15' with 5.7 hemi and it is very comfortable, no rattles etc. Now it does not pull worth a flip especially when compared to my old 13 F250 with a 6.2 gasser. The brand new Ram 1500's look pretty sharp exterior/interior. One guy I know traded his Nissan Cummins in on a Ram 1500, he has no complaints
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #15
Mission408
Four Point

Hunt In: Brownwood

2010 ram hemi 180k no issues
Mission408 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #16
toomuchsun
Six Point

Hunt In: on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
Bought a new Ram 1500 in September 2014.

Brakes at 39k and almost 116k on it now. tires and normal maintenance otherwise. Easily the best truck Iíve ever owned and Iíve had all of the Big 3 previously.

That said, pick the one you like best and take care of it, itíll take care of you.
simple and agree. I baby and sometimes think they have feelings. Care pays.
toomuchsun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #17
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

I have had three different Ram trucks since "04 and my son and I still drive 2 of them with no issues at all. I believe the Ram's are the best trucks on the road right now.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #18
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Best truck on the road after Fords. Just no trade in value.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #19
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Menard & Kinney County

Quality was supposed to have taken an up tic since Fiat got their hands on the RAM brand and split it from the "dodge" badging.

My wife's 2016 has been flawless, now at 48,*** miles, only seen dealer for a few recalls and oil changes.

Heck I've got a 2006 ranch truck (5.7 hemi) with 275k still running strong. A/C no longer blows cold, but the poor thing sits stagnant for months at a time- I'm fairly sure a seal dried out in the system and let the magic gas out.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Last year I bought a used, well maintained, 2012 Ram Outdoorsman, 5.7 HEMI, with 90,000 miles on it, from a friend.. I now have 113,000 on it.. So far I'm not impressed at all.. It has died, for no reason, 3 times while just driving down the road.. Cab light started leaking, Rear window started leaking, body metal is EXTREMELY flimsy, COKE can thin, you can liteally push on it hard with your finger and leave a permanent dent(F'ing ridiculous)!! Recently it has been hard to start.. Turns over but takes a while to actually crank..Engine ticks until warm which really has me worried...I wont buy another Dodge.. AND it is a gas guzzler.. 10-12 MPG. Horrible for a 1/2 ton truck...

I'm a older Chevy/GMC guy. My next truck will be an older, low mileage, mid to late 90's-early 2000's Chevy or GMC.. I've owned 4. Put over 250,000 on a couple.. Those trucks were bullet proof.. Much better than all the JUNK sold these days..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 01-12-2020 at 08:49 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #21
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Had a 2500 4x4 2003 Diesel great truck only problem was AC turned out compressor body was porous (slow leak)..they replace and Everything was COOL
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #22
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

Rented a 19 with 40K last weekend. What a piece of junk. Hemi - 4X4 - 4 door that I would never buy.....

Tundra........................
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #23
topduarte
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
Rented a 19 with 40K last weekend. What a piece of junk. Hemi - 4X4 - 4 door that I would never buy.....

Tundra........................
That is not imo a fair evaulation on a 1 year old rental vehicle. 99% of people who rent vehicles treat them like crap.

Just my $0.02
topduarte is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #24
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

I rented a newish Ram Rebel (4000 miles) last summer for a trip to the mountains. It drove amazingly and got 20MPG on the highway.

I'd buy one.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #25
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by topduarte View Post
That is not imo a fair evaulation on a 1 year old rental vehicle. 99% of people who rent vehicles treat them like crap.

Just my $0.02
I drive quite a few rentals every year. I canít recall any that Iíd say were a piece of crap already within 40k. Only had a few RAMs, but theyíve all been almost new.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #26
Death from Above
Pope & Young

5.7 hemi is the best motor you can get in half ton...

put the shifter back in the tree and I would buy another

current 2007 ram quad cam 4x4, would drive across the usa...has 165000

If i bought new...I would buy tundra.
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 PM   #27
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

If you are asking about a 1/2 ton I canít help but my 2012 2500 diesel has 166,000 miles on it currently. Replaced one front hub, other than that nothing but routine maintenance. Mine doesnít have the rattles that everyone likes to speak of on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #28
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

I was a Ford guy going back to the 80s. I thought I was going to buy a F150 King Ranch in 2016. A friend of mine was the sales manager of the dealership and he gave me one to drive for the weekend. It was the most uncomfortable truck I had ever been in. I said nope. He gave me a Dodge 1500 Longhorn to drive. It was a dream to drive and I knew immediately I was going to buy one. I went back a month later to order it. I have about 67K miles on it and hasnt had one warranty issue. All Ive done is change oil, rotate tires and buy a new set of tires. I cant say that for any Ford I owned.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #29
onetondodge
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I’m a ram guy. It’s hard for me to get away from them. Have had an 06 3500, 12 3500, 13 2500, 17 2500 and now in a 19 1500. Only times in the shop was for normal maintenance. I also agree that there are bad lemons in every brand. My brother had a few issues in his last ram, but just got another 3500. It’s hard for us to go away from ram because the local dealership takes pretty good care of us.
onetondodge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #30
kc95gt
Spike

I was a F150 fan previously as well, but when my ‘04 finally started looking like the transmission was on its way out, I looked at new ones but was turned away price. I looked at Ram and was able to get more truck for less money. Now 2 years later, I’m still happy with it. Ram has come a long way after the Fiat buyout.
kc95gt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 10:14 PM   #31
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post

Except for the dreaded "HEMI tick"!!!!
Google that the next time you get a chance..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #32
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Forgot, I rented a ram 1500 5.7 hemi , when my ford was getting the a/c repair done
Luckily it was set up with a receiver hitch so trailer was hooked up ASAP, it pulled great, got good mpg “19-21 mpg “ , and was comfortable driving for a week, only thing was hard to get used to was having a shift knob instead of the lever other wise didn’t have any problems for the week, it was dry so didn’t have or need 4x4
Wife liked it so she gave me the thumbs up on a new 3500 ram diesel as a personal truck

Last edited by pilar; 01-12-2020 at 11:35 PM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #33
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

You do know that driving a dodge is like banging a fat chick after the bar closes. You might do it but you don't want any buddies to see you.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #34
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

I was the same, drove fords all my life. Went to a ram in 05 and haven't looked back. I love mine. I drive a 07 no rattles and my wife drives a 12 same with it.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #35
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
only thing was hard to get used to was having a shift knob instead of the lever
That was a weird thing to get used to for me too, but after about a week it seemed normal. But what I do love is the extra room in the console that the normal shifter takes up, now i love my knob

My trivial complaint is the key fob. I am constantly locking or hitting the panic button when it is in my pocket by rubbing against things I hate it, that almost never happened w my Toyota I had prior to this one, but at the end of the day shifter dials and key fobs are pretty trivial complaints....lol
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #36
chopsknives
Associate Sponsor

GM guy here but while they were rebuilding my front end (329k miles) I was asking all the mechanics what they thought about the new trucks. All the mechanics drove GM and owner a Ram - lifted and tricked out. They said he drives that cause he has them to work on it! A couple of the key issues were that they have to work on more Ram's and Fords more often than GM's, that the repairs on Ford's were more expensive and then they said the Rams instead of a grease fitting on the ball joints just have an oversized boot - they have to use a grease hypodermic needle (assume it's a horse needle) to inject grease through the boots leaving pinholes in them. Mind you I've not owned anything but GM for about 38 years - all it took was one new Ford truck and I walked away - my Dad was a member of the Ft. Worth model A club and a devout Ford man who finally went to GM as well
chopsknives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #37
TX_DReezen
Four Point

Hunt In: Lee, Kerr, & San Jacinto County

We get a lot of 3/4 and one tons in the shop for work. I’m a GM fan myself, and the Fords that come in are fairly decent (depending on who is abusing them), but man any Dodge truck I get that comes in is just beat up. Hubs go out like crazy, brakes suck, Cummins accessory drives fail like crazy on the 4th gen. trucks. Interiors start falling apart, etc.
TX_DReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #38
TX_Hoghunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Harper, TX

I am a GM man but a good friend at work bought a Ram a couple of years back. Here is the little i know about them. My buddy was a ham radio guy. When he went to run the cables for all of that equipment and noticed that the back seat only had 1/2 the bolts. He took it back to the dealership and they repaired it. After he had it a month or so the tailgate just started falling open when you were driving it. He got that fixed as well. He seemed to like it well enough but he is not a real truck guy. What I mean by that is he would have been just are well off if he had bought a car. He did not haul or use the truck in any significant way. I was only in it a handful of times but it did not really suit me.

-john
TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #39
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LookingÖ.Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsknives View Post
GM guy here but while they were rebuilding my front end (329k miles) I was asking all the mechanics what they thought about the new trucks. All the mechanics drove GM and owner a Ram - lifted and tricked out. They said he drives that cause he has them to work on it! A couple of the key issues were that they have to work on more Ram's and Fords more often than GM's, that the repairs on Ford's were more expensive and then they said the Rams instead of a grease fitting on the ball joints just have an oversized boot - they have to use a grease hypodermic needle (assume it's a horse needle) to inject grease through the boots leaving pinholes in them. Mind you I've not owned anything but GM for about 38 years - all it took was one new Ford truck and I walked away - my Dad was a member of the Ft. Worth model A club and a devout Ford man who finally went to GM as well
If you gave me a new GM truck, I'd sell it and buy (4) broke down Fords and a totaled out Dodge!

The last one I had was the biggest pos I've ever owned!
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #40
Soggy Bottom
Eight Point

Hunt In: Victoria County and Jim Wells County

I get a new 2500-3500 Ram every 2-3 years. Been doing this since 2010. No major issues with any of them. One had a bad water pump that was covered under warranty. Not sure about the interiors falling about like you will read online. Mine have all held up good. My trucks are daily drivers to ranch trucks. Get used for everything and have all sizes of trailers hooked up almost every weekend.
Soggy Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #41
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

I bought a 2011 new and loved it. Put 200K on it.
bought the new body style 2019 6 months ago and love it (crew cab w/ Hemi) !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #42
orionhjarvis
Spike

Love my 2013 Longhorn. Next truck will be another Ram
orionhjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #43
Still Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

On my second Ram 2500. First was a 09 LWB 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi, gas engine. Kept it 9 years. No issues with it, drove it 186K. Now a 2018 LWB 4x4 with 6.2 Hemi, gas engine. No problems at 33K, yet with the 2018. Coworker buys nothing but RAMS but is constantly having them in for something and he buys new like every 18 months to 2 years. Seems like "luck of the draw" on any truck you buy now days. I did notice that all of the local mechanic shop mechanics at one of the shops are all driving Dodge Trucks for their personal vehicles. But that might be more of a purchase price thing.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #44
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
White Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 01:15 PM   #45
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post

5.7 I-Force has shot that hemi full of holes for many yrs now
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #46
gfulton
Six Point

Pass.
gfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #47
austin.28
Six Point

Hunt In: Bridgeport TX and Farmersville TX

Out of all brands I have heard of a good amount of Rams having big problems early in their life. I know it used to be a big thing in the 2000s model rams cracking dashes, not sure if this is fixed yet.
austin.28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #48
Blackmouth
Eight Point

2009 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L Cummins
158,000 miles
4WD

Only thing that ever needed repair other than normal wear and tear was a water pump under warranty. Replaced both hubs (only one was bad) and breaks last summer

No cracks in the dash like the old Dodge's were prone to

Just did a KBB quote, $15,191-$18,294
Blackmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #49
Mohawkman
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, NM, CO

I love it! All someone has to do is ask a Ford, Dodge, or GM question, and people start loosing it. Canít we all just get along.🥺 Oh and to answer your question. Dodges are crapp!
Mohawkman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #50
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

I'm just here for the lol replies.

I had one once, nothing good to say about them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top