Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #1
Youngblood
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillispie County and Benavides Texas
Default San Antonio Area Question

I was offered a job in downtown San Antonio. This will require us to relocate to the San Antonio area. My wife and I would like to live within 1 hour (60 miles) of downtown. What are some good areas to live in? We are not opposed to live in our travel trailer while our home is being built. We do not want or need a home ownerís association. All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
bowhuntercoach
Six Point

Lived in Hollywood Park for 11 years and we loved it! Location is great and feels like the country. Houses are hard to find, but its worth it.
bowhuntercoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
WBA2000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa and anywhere else I can.

A lot would depend on budget and size of property I would think. Boerne, Comfort, Bandera, Pleasanton, Floresville. You have a lot of choices within an hour.
WBA2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

New Braunfels for me in your shoes
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
Youngblood
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBA2000 View Post
A lot would depend on budget and size of property I would think. Boerne, Comfort, Bandera, Pleasanton, Floresville. You have a lot of choices within an hour.

Sorry I forgot the budget. I believe I have 10 years left in my work life so I would like to stay between $150-$250k.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #6
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

I would look in castroville or Devine with the budget you have mentioned.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
Youngblood
Eight Point

Thanks for everyoneís help. I donít know how this will turn out but Iím excited for the opportunity. Beats getting the pink slip for sure.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #8
all3lemmons
Six Point

Hunt In: Castroville

Commute should be a lot better from the south or west than it would be from Boerne or New Braunfels. I retired last year and it was taking me 45 minutes to an hour during rush hour to get to/from work at 410/Callaghan. Wife is still driving into downtown daily and I get a couple of calls a week from her complaining about the traffic/commute time from Castroville.
all3lemmons is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days
Default San Antonio Area Question

That construction on I10 between SA and Boerne is crazy. Iíd shy away from that if possible.

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 11:20 PM   #10
doublearrow
Ten Point

Who will you be working for?
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #11
Charlie
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
That construction on I10 between SA and Boerne is crazy. I’d shy away from that if possible.

Sierracharlie out…
You are right about the traffic on IH-10. I have lived in Boerne for the last 13 years and am grateful that I don’t have to commute to San Antonio. It will get better when they finish the lane expansions.

As mentioned above, Castroville and Devine are good options. Both are great communities and the traffic is lighter.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2019, 11:39 PM   #12
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
You are right about the traffic on IH-10. I have lived in Boerne for the last 13 years and am grateful that I donít have to commute to San Antonio. It will get better when they finish the lane expansions.

As mentioned above, Castroville and Devine are good options. Both are great communities and the traffic is lighter.

I drive through SA on the way to the lease and normally I10 is better than the loops but here lately Iím beginning to question that.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 12-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cool places with Cool people

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
Lived in Hollywood Park for 11 years and we loved it! Location is great and feels like the country. Houses are hard to find, but its worth it.

We are right next to Hollywood park and love it. Not for sure you can find anything in that budget in the area though. There are some awesome lots in there.

Location is great though.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #14
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
That construction on I10 between SA and Boerne is crazy. Iíd shy away from that if possible.

Sierracharlie outÖ
I respectfully disagree. The traffic is Somewhat bad and I get into town form fair oaks in 20-25 minutes every day. You should try driving down 35 from New Braunfels. 10 times worse coming from that way. I live in Boerne now and work in Jourdanton so I get the full affect of San Antonio traffic on my commute. It isnít bad at all IMO. Austin, Houston and falls all have much worse traffic.
Traffic coming north on 35 from Devine area is pretty bad some days. Devine is nice but itís small town. Nothing wrong with it all if thatís what youíre looking for.

OP, I would look at Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch or Stone Oak/Bulverde area. Prices are higher but much nicer compared to every where else I think. Traffic on 281 is worse coming into downtown from than I-10.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 01:19 AM   #15
thegrouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

Do you want to commute everyday? Plenty of decent neighborhoods inside 410 that are close to everything.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The traffic is Somewhat bad and I get into town form fair oaks in 20-25 minutes every day. You should try driving down 35 from New Braunfels. 10 times worse coming from that way. I live in Boerne now and work in Jourdanton so I get the full affect of San Antonio traffic on my commute. It isnít bad at all IMO. Austin, Houston and falls all have much worse traffic.

Traffic coming north on 35 from Devine area is pretty bad some days. Devine is nice but itís small town. Nothing wrong with it all if thatís what youíre looking for.

OP, I would look at Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch or Stone Oak/Bulverde area. Prices are higher but much nicer compared to every where else I think. Traffic on 281 is worse coming into downtown from than I-10.

I was referring to only SA. I live in the Houston area and SA ainít got **** on Houston traffic. I donít get on 35 for ANY reason due to the traffic. I was just using I10/1604/410 for reference. Not saying the worst ever.

Sierracharlie outÖ
Old 12-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #17
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Bulverde
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #18
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I make the commute from Boerne to the medical center in SA every day. Takes me about 45 minutes on average. Traffic is not great. Hopefully it will improve when I10 is finished. I have an office in Castroville as well. Drive time is an hour but very little traffic. Boerne is not even close to the small town it used to be. Traffic in Boerne is worse than I10. My dad lives in Lytle and he can make it into downtown in 20 minutes. You just need to look around and find a place that fits you. Good luck.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #19
JONES45LC
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards, real, medina, kerr counties

I live in pipecreek , 45 minutes from downtown
JONES45LC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
hbender1
Four Point

Hunt In: Bee

If you're gonna be working a "normal" daytime schedule, you'll want to stay away from the 35 N corridor, 281 N corridor, and the IH10 W corridor, unless you enjoy spending time in traffic.
More reasonably priced places and an easier commute will be found in the southern direction HWY 87 E around to HWY 90 west, and preferably outside Bexar county's high taxes.
hbender1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #21
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Ozona

I live out towards Bulverde and work downtown. Commute traffic is bad. I leave really early to avoid it. But afternoon traffic is a another animal. Castroville is a good choice.

basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #22
Youngblood
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublearrow View Post
Who will you be working for?

Staying with the property management company that I have been with for 17 years. I would rather not say the name of the company at this time.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #23
Youngblood
Eight Point

Thanks for everyoneís input.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #24
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
New Braunfels for me in your shoes
New Braunfels and the surrounding areas, are way over populated, growing way too fast. Can't get around in that town for crap. The traffic used to suck 15 years ago, but now, I avoid New Braunfels at all costs.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #25
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
I was offered a job in downtown San Antonio. This will require us to relocate to the San Antonio area. My wife and I would like to live within 1 hour (60 miles) of downtown. What are some good areas to live in? We are not opposed to live in our travel trailer while our home is being built. We do not want or need a home owner’s association. All help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Whether or not you are an hour from downtown is traffic and location subjective.

Sometimes when I go to the gym it takes an hour to get from Helotes to Camp Bullis, and thats only 15 miles and at the same timeframe I can go south to Lackland and its 21 min for 20 miles.

The whole Godforsaken place sucks!
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 09:13 AM   #26
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES45LC View Post
I live in pipecreek , 45 minutes from downtown
What route and what time?
Old 12-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
Do you want to commute everyday? Plenty of decent neighborhoods inside 410 that are close to everything.
I would say that most folk in this forum prefer the outside edge of the concentric circle theory.

If you live outside of where the city bus runs, you are gonna be locked up in traffic trying to penetrate the interior.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #28
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post

If you think traffic is bad on 35, you should try to drive from Canyon Lake to New Braunfels on either 46 or 306. I used to live off of 306 back in the early and mid 90s, was not too bad, but by the late 90s, it was a whole different story and just keeps getting worse. The whole area is like number 1 or 2 in the whole country for fastest growing areas, it long ago out grew the roads in the area.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #29
Johnny44
Ten Point

You are right sir
Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #30
raider19
Six Point

Timberwood Park
raider19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #31
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

I live an hour south of SA. You can find land 10-15 acres for around 8000-9000 an acre and some pretty nice areas. I am in Real Estate here, if you ever need some help give me a shout.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #32
kerrbow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Kansas

Might check out Kerrville. Hill country is spectacular, elevation makes it a touch cooler in summer and wildlife is common. Small town atmosphere but everything you need. 60 miles to downtown S.A. I have lived here 20 years and love it.
kerrbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 10:10 AM   #33
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

My wife works downtown and we lived in Bulverde Village north of 1604 off 281. That part of 281 is a headache due to the road construction right now. We sold our house there at the start of the summer and moved to Canyon Lake, which is about 1hr drive to downtown depending on which side of the lake you live. Good luck.
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #34
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

What type of view do you want?

Hill Country?
South Texas?
City life or Country?
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #35
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
If you think traffic is bad on 35, you should try to drive from Canyon Lake to New Braunfels on either 46 or 306. I used to live off of 306 back in the early and mid 90s, was not too bad, but by the late 90s, it was a whole different story and just keeps getting worse. The whole area is like number 1 or 2 in the whole country for fastest growing areas, it long ago out grew the roads in the area.
While the area is rapidly growing, the traffic on 306 is far from terrible...not even close to I35. I drive 306 multiple times a day and its fine
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #36
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
I live an hour south of SA. You can find land 10-15 acres for around 8000-9000 an acre and some pretty nice areas. I am in Real Estate here, if you ever need some help give me a shout.
I live in boerne and it is easier to get to kerrviile then San Antonio
I have many friends that have moved to la verina area and Pleasanton
My family ranch was in hondo so I always like that area
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #37
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Nevada, Colorado

I live in the Bulverde area and work in Seguin. Traffic is not bad. However from Bulverde to Downtown is a mess right now due to construction. The worst portion of the construction is scheduled to be complete in 2020 and the final portion is 2022.

We love the area with great accessibility to SA, Austin, Canyon Lake, Guadalupe River, etc.

You didn't mention of schools were important but we very impressed with the Smithson Valley school district.

The Bulverde/Spring Branch area is growing but it still feels like a small community.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #38
Youngblood
Eight Point

Thanks for all the information. Schools are not important as we are empty nesters.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #39
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

I'd look in the LaVernia area. Lots of open land out there and not nearly as many people.
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #40
Mule Skinner
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

We live in Hidden Creek (Callaghan/Vance Jackson area) and are close to everything. Don’t have to deal with the PITA traffic of outbound 10, 281 and 35.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #41
camoclad
Eight Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
Whether or not you are an hour from downtown is traffic and location subjective.

Sometimes when I go to the gym it takes an hour to get from Helotes to Camp Bullis, and thats only 15 miles and at the same timeframe I can go south to Lackland and its 21 min for 20 miles.

The whole Godforsaken place sucks!
This.

Theres got to be 10 million people between Georgetown and south San Antonio these days all trying to move around on cow trail roads that are constantly under construction.

OP, Congratulations on your new job
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #42
Sideler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
I'd look in the LaVernia area. Lots of open land out there and not nearly as many people.
I agree, also look at Adkins (1604 &181) and floresville.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #43
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
I was referring to only SA. I live in the Houston area and SA ainít got **** on Houston traffic. I donít get on 35 for ANY reason due to the traffic. I was just using I10/1604/410 for reference. Not saying the worst ever.

Sierracharlie outÖ
I understood what you were saying. I was just stating a general answer based on the OPs post. And yes. I try to avoid 35 myself but I unfortunately have to travel it quite often. Went to dallas two weeks ago and itís sucked all the way there. Have 3 more trips to make in the next few months still and not looking forward to it.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top