Which Cartridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Cartridge?

I am getting ready to build a new APR and having trouble settling on a cartridge. This gun will be a dedicated heavy stand gun for hunting whitetail in South Texas. I have a light weight APR in 7mm Wby for out west and stalking hunts. Also have .30 cals for larger game. So this gun will be a heavy rig used for whitetails out of a box blind and nothing else. I had pretty much decided on a 280 Ackley and 140 grain Accubonds but want to hear the thoughts of the GS. So, if you were building a gun for this and only this, what would you roll with?

-The cost/availability of factory ammo will have no influence. I will have Copper Creek do load development for whatever I choose. For what it costs to deer hunt, the price of ammo for a gun I shoot 10 times a year does not concern me.

For me a stand gun would be something short action with a short barrel 18” or less. In a reasonably mild caliber like a boring old .308.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’d take a look at 6.5 prc or 257 weatherby, fill that area between your calibers.

Comment

I like the .30-.378 weatherby with 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips, man it kills like lightning. With a muzzle brake and heavy gun recoil is not bad at all, my wife killed 6 hogs and a buck last weekend anywhere from 120-280 yds with no problem. Nothing ever takes a step

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
          I like the .30-.378 weatherby with 165 grain Nosler ballistic tips, man it kills like lightning. With a muzzle brake and heavy gun recoil is not bad at all, my wife killed 6 hogs and a buck last weekend anywhere from 120-280 yds with no problem. Nothing ever takes a step

I guess not..

Comment

Does a south Texas stand gun get more classic than a 7 STW? Just now with updated barrel twist-- launch those 162gr or 180gr ELDMs at Mach Freedom and call it good!

Close choice would be a .257wby with the new fast twist for 131gr! I may know where Alamo can find the reamer too...

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
              I’d take a look at 6.5 prc or 257 weatherby, fill that area between your calibers.
              I like these, also a what about a 264 Win Mag?

Comment

I think something in the 25-6.5 range would be money. 25-06, 257 weatherby, 6.5man bun, 260, 6.5prc. IMO there is no need for anything in the 30cal range (308 being the only exception) for a dedicated WT deer gun. I’ll also throw out the 7-08 as it has captured my curiosity as of late and after looking at ballistic tables. Anything up there would be a hammer inside 300 yards.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                  I’ll also throw out the 7-08 as it has captured my curiosity as of late and after looking at ballistic tables. Anything up there would be a hammer inside 300 yards.

Sierracharlie out…
                  I personally think a 7-08 may be about perfect for whitetails. Short action, light recoiling, good bullet selection, can go short barrel without sacrificing too much and most of all..........wicked on whitetails.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                    I personally think a 7-08 may be about perfect for whitetails. Short action, light recoiling, good bullet selection, can go short barrel without sacrificing too much and most of all..........wicked on whitetails.

Gonna be one of my next rifles

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I have been pleased with the 6.5 SAUM for deer. 6.5prc or SAUM would be my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                        I have been pleased with the 6.5 SAUM for deer. 6.5prc or SAUM would be my vote.
                        I am looking at these two. They seem pretty close to one another. What was your reasoning for choosing the SAUM over the PRC?

Comment

If 140gr is what you want to shoot, I’d look at the 6.5. .260 Rem for short action, .264 Mag for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5-284 Norma in a long action would be another good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                              I am looking at these two. They seem pretty close to one another. What was your reasoning for choosing the SAUM over the PRC?
                              Because the PRC wasn’t out when I got a SAUM. I’m now on my fourth SAUM barrel and still love it. I load everything that I shoot so factory ammo has never been a deciding factor.

Comment

Working...
                              X