PSA For Euro Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA For Euro Mount

I’ve often wondered why people go ahead while cleaning their deer and cape out the skull when they’re planning on doing a euro mount, instead of waiting till they get ready to actually do it...well if for no other reason, there is this one. If your freezer goes out, and you don’t catch it till you smell it? Pray for God to help you while you’re trying to clean the skull My son shot a nice little 8 pt on youth weekend, and I was gonna have it done in time for Christmas. With all that we have going on trying to right the ship at work, I haven’t had time. Today I had to make time

Folks...I can’t even explain how hideously disgusting that was. I haven’t puked in 10 years, since I had alcohol poisoning and decided to quit drinking and turn my life around. And in 42 years, I bet I haven’t puked 15-20 times altogether. Tonight I added 3 to that count that boy better know just how much I love him Because if it had been my own deer, I would have just presented my wife with 2 cutoff antlers to decorate with

So save yourself the disgusting “adventure” and go ahead and cape it out when you’re cleaning it...it would have been much easier to just get the skull in the water and smell that portion of the process versus having to deal with the rotting, green membrane

Lesson learned...thankfully I’ve passed the dry heave stage, just a little squeamish still. But I may not be able to eat dinner or breakfast

Thinking I might need to thaw a couple and get to work this weekend after reading that.

Comment

Crazy kids - go straight from the deer to an ant bed

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
        I was seriously wishing I had some ant beds earlier I’m not sure my neighbors would have appreciated it tomorrow tho 😂

Comment

Absolutely the route to go but two problems.

1) Living in a subdivision negates the front yard.

2) Multiple Labradors roaming the backyard.

Knowing my neighbors I’d take my chances with the front yard but someone else would have claimed the skull and bragged about the ant bites.

Comment

That’s sounds like a painful lesson to learn. Thanks for learning it for the rest of us haha!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

[emoji1787][emoji1787].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Come on man??? Not that bad. Well maybe im immune!!! Lol. A fan blowing the smell away helps a bunch. I get more grossed out with the “feel” of the slime than the smell. I have skinned some NASTY skulls over the years. Elk hunters are the worst for me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                  Come on man??? Not that bad. Well maybe im immune!!! Lol. A fan blowing the smell away helps a bunch. I get more grossed out with the “feel” of the slime than the smell. I have skinned some NASTY skulls over the years. Elk hunters are the worst for me!!!
                  Green slimy oozing ****...yeah, with no fan and no wind = recipe for disaster I didn’t think it would be as bad as it was until I had to just deal with it 😂

Comment

I know a couple taxidermist that will do the euro mount for free if I cape the buck out and give them the cape. That's reason enough for me to do it. I got a little sick to my stomach reading this thread, and thinking about what that smell was like. Good on you OP for getting it done for your son.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                      Absolutely the route to go but two problems.

1) Living in a subdivision negates the front yard.

2) Multiple Labradors roaming the backyard.

Knowing my neighbors I’d take my chances with the front yard but someone else would have claimed the skull and bragged about the ant bites.
                      Then posted it on TBH...

Comment

Bummer.

Comment

I did that one time.The dirt kinda soaked into the skull,and made it turn a brown/dirt color.Wouldn't bleach out.You ever have the same problem?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Did the same thing on Wednesday. Coated my upper lip with Vicks, tore a shirt in half, tied it around my face, also coated the shirt with vicks, along with several pair of rubber gloves. Went to work on my wife's buck. Horriawful

Comment

I do 80 to 100 euro mounts a year for customers and everyone is rotted (macerated). The smell don't bother me anymore. However, when someone drops off a deer head with the hair slipping and the hide turning green.......that sucker doesn't get skinned before it is macerated. For me, it is easier to deal with it fully rotten. It's not the smell for me but just something about that slipping, green, nasty hide!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X