No announcement yet.

Anyone remember cold snap of 1983?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both '83 and '89 were devastating on the trout n reds in the Galveston bay complex...
    East Bay froze over for the first ever recorded... Dead fish everywhere!
    Port O'Connor was bad too... Pringle Lake had thousands and thousands of fish floating that flushed through the small passes at each tide change for days and days...

Comment

Parts of Lake Travis had ice in the 80's. Same year the bay froze that ultimately brought about all the commercial fishing changes.

Comment

83 & 89 it never got above 15 for 10 days, I got home from work out of town and lots of my
        Sheep had froze to death, and the river had frozen solid so no water! It was financially crippling for years
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-05-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I was pretty young for the one in '83 so I really don't remember it. I remember the one in '89 well.

Comment

Yeah, I just moved to Dallas on November 1st of 83 and I was living in an apartment on the 3rd floor in Richardson and the pipes froze and we couldn't use water for 4 days. Then in 89 when living in Carrollton our washer line froze and it flooded my den and living room.

Comment

Don’t remember the year but it was probably 1983. In Arlington the creek that flows out of Lake Arlington froze solid and after watching a Chevy blazer drive over it my friends and I drove home and got our hockey skates and sticks and played ice hockey on it. Not many people played hockey in Texas back then and we definitely drew some attention.

Comment

I do, and then it didn't rain un '84 until about August. Pretty well killed off the remaining quail around central Texas.

Comment

Remember 83 & 89 all too well. Remember the fish kills. Bays full of dead fish. Had to break ice to duck hunt. I hope this doesn't turn out anything close to it.
                  Hope the weatherman is wrong like normal!!

Comment

Very vividly.
                    During the freeze of 83 my dad and I hunted ducks on Christmas bay for a week straight. The ice build up on the south shoreline was so high that we did not hunt any blinds we just hunted behind the "icebergs that formed on the shoreline. We slammed the ducks.

I lived on the Mustang island for the freeze of 89. The causeway was closed for about 3 days so I hunted ducks on the Laguna and slammed the fish right off my back porch. Our house was situated in a turning basin where the water was 17ft deep. We caught mostly oversized reds and drum. The shallow Laguna Madre held dead fish for weeks. It was awful.

Comment

Spent 9 days at my lease at Possum Kingdom in '83. Highest temp we heard on the Breckinridge radio station was 10 degrees. Was using a tent back then.

Comment

Copano bay froze several hundred yards out. My toilet was frozen for 6 days.

Comment

It never got above freezing for about 35 days straight in Tulia, my hometown in the Panhandle. I was a junior in high school. Snowed a lot that winter. We didn't finish stripping cotton until March, due to the snow in the fields.

Comment

I was 14 years old in a camp house in Uvalde, Tx; the breakfast gravy froze in the skillet when we took it off the fire. I got back in my bunk and stayed inside where it was a warmish. I remember it was 3° outside.

Comment

I remember riding 3 wheelers on our frozen stock tanks in 83. they were pretty shallow at the time I guess.

Comment

It was pretty warm where I was during that snap. I wasn't born for a couple more months.

Comment

Working...
                                X