Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 02-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #1
3rdShot
Ten Point

Default AR in 300 BO, suppressed for hogs?

Saw a hunting show... the guy was on a doe control hunt, shot several does with his bow, and several does and a yote with a short barrel semi-auto in 300BO with a suppressor. Very little sound, the shot animal jumping and kicking when shot created the only reaction in the other close game...anyone use something like that?

I have hogs come in pretty often during deer season, sounds like that setup would be the ticket to carry along to the bow blind, to save the corn, and avoid spooking the whole neighborhood.

Pros and cons?
3rdShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Anon
Spike

The cost and availability of 300bo is the only thing I can think of...if you have an AK, brown bear makes a pretty good subsonic 7.62x39 that has similar ballistics to subsonic 300bo...costs about 300 bucks for 500...Biden could soon make it illegal to import the ammo tho.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Youíll have 1/2 dead squealing pigs leaking oil all over the woods.

.300 Subs are **** poor performing rounds, as far as I could tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Dale is right. We used to hunt pigs with thermals on 300bo ARs and had more run off than fall over dead. Never really uses subs but I’m sure they would’ve performed way worse yah supers.
Now in a bow blind set-up, that might work just fine if you wanna head shot one or two within 20-30 yards. For singing lead at running hugs, that rounds has always sucked imo
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
bustacap
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Mexico

I use a 300blk AR with an 8.5Ē barrel suppressed and 194 gr Lehigh subs with great success. I wouldnít take it in the bow blind and shoot hogs because they make a bunch of noise when shot if not drt.

I take a suppressed 22LR pistol with me to the bow blind sometimes.
Attached Images

bustacap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-22-2021, 11:25 PM   #6
LMiz
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker County & South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Dale is right. We used to hunt pigs with thermals on 300bo ARs and had more run off than fall over dead. Never really uses subs but Iím sure they wouldíve performed way worse yah supers.
Now in a bow blind set-up, that might work just fine if you wanna head shot one or two within 20-30 yards. For singing lead at running hugs, that rounds has always sucked imo
This is exactly what I was gonna say

Just switched to x39 hoping for better results
LMiz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
WTJim
Ten Point

Lehigh Defense has been kicking bullets out lately. I shoot 110 grain controlled chaos in supers and Maker T-Rex in subs. Both work great if you put the bullet where it needs to go. It is not a powerful round but works well for me. It is not a 6.5 Grendel though...
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
dbelcher269
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

Head shots at close in bow ranges you'll be fine with subs. I had some decent results with the Hornady 190 Sub-X rounds at 50-60 yards on medium size pigs. The blackout gets a lot of hate for some reason, but I've killed a boatload of pigs with it in the 150 yard and less range and few run very far if the bullet is placed right. I generally stick to the 120 grain SIG HT or the Barnes TX type bullets though. If you want to be really quiet get a break action .300 Blackout or similar round and shoot the subs suppressed.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Ellinger & Madisonville

I just started reloading the Hornady 190 Sub-X rounds (W/Trail boss powder) for my 308 bolt rifle for a friend and I. I have not had a chance to test it on any animals yet but he has shot some pigs. He has shot a couple in shoulder and said they only ran 40 or 50 yards (medium size) and he is not using a suppressor. The subsonic rounds out of my bolt rifle with suppressor sounds like a pellet gun. I have not got around to loading any 300BO yet but I would think that the slamming of the bolt would make more noise than the shot.
Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
TexaRican
Pope & Young

I've killed pigs with 300 subs out to 100 yards but always head/neck shots. Even at only 100 yards, I was shocked at how much I had to adjust for drop from where I was zeroed with supers. Prefer the super that is not that much louder suppressed and never had a problem with animals not dropping. Shot placement....
TexaRican is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #11
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelcher269 View Post
Head shots at close in bow ranges you'll be fine with subs. I had some decent results with the Hornady 190 Sub-X rounds at 50-60 yards on medium size pigs. The blackout gets a lot of hate for some reason, but I've killed a boatload of pigs with it in the 150 yard and less range and few run very far if the bullet is placed right. I generally stick to the 120 grain SIG HT or the Barnes TX type bullets though. If you want to be really quiet get a break action .300 Blackout or similar round and shoot the subs suppressed.
They get a lot of hate because they suck for follow up shots. First shots where you can take your time and pick your placement they work fine. Subsequent shots once the sounder has scattered they aren’t worth a darn. You can be as picky then with shot placement at that point.

I dropped a 60 lb hog at 125 yds with my 17 HMR a few weeks back. I knew I could do it without a problem. Turned him off like a light switch. He was feeding at a feeder though. It wouldn’t have worked had he been running. Obviously this is an extreme example as the 300 is considerably more potent. It just shows that you can use less effective tools when you can be picky about your placement.

Last edited by TX03RUBI; 02-23-2021 at 08:28 AM.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

If you put a hard cast heavy lead bullet from a 300blk through the shoulders of a pig they will die inside 40 yards.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #13
Balcones_Walker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I don't prefer it for lethality, and from experience I'd point out that the sound of an AR cycling plus the sound of a bullet hitting an animal is a lot more noise than you'd think.

At the very least do it with a bolt-action.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 11:41 AM   #14
3rdShot
Ten Point

Lots of good info, thanks!

Also recently picked up a Walther P22 that is real quiet when suppressed, just need to get a set of taller sights for it.
Decisions, decisions...
3rdShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #15
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I sold my .300 BLK and haven't looked back! And yes I ran it suppressed

And yes I hunt alot of pigs
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #16
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

We were using the blackouts suppressed with thermals, so most shots were not precise. But I shot one under the ear twice, and in the neck once before he gave up the fight. No telling how many that ran off. Itís a useless round for my money.

Youíre suppressed .22 sounds like the ticket, if for no other reason than itís light and will fit in a backpack.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #17
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
If you put a hard cast heavy lead bullet from a 300blk through the shoulders of a pig they will die inside 40 yards.

This is true.

Itís not the cartridgeís fault if you donít hit the vitals, itís the shooters lack of ability to hit them is the problem. For some reason people get behind a semi auto such as an AR15 with a 10-20 shot mag and think they can make up poor shooting with more bullets down range. It is true the more shots you shoot your chances of hitting it increases but are they lethal? Sometimes but probably not, it slows the pig down and makes it easier to hit until it stops and you can then plug away. Again not the fault of the cartridge on account you canít hit the vitals.

Not picking on anyone but here is an example.
Quote:
I dropped a 60 lb hog at 125 yds with my 17 HMR a few weeks back. I knew I could do it without a problem. Turned him off like a light switch. He was feeding at a feeder though. It wouldnít have worked had he been running. Obviously this is an extreme example as the 300 is considerably more potent. It just shows that you can use less effective tools when you can be picky about your placement.
How is the cartridge at fault? It switched the lights out with a shot to the vitals.
It would have worked out the same way if you had the ability to place the bullet in the same spot running as if the hog was standing still.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #18
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

These are 265gr sub sonic acme bullets out of an 8Ē ar around 1000fps blew right threw this boar at about 80 yards he didnít even know he was shot. Went down in 30-40 yards.

Exit hole was only .35Ē or so and little to no blood.

Is sub sonic the best no itís not... are they able to kill absolutely.

BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #19
Closetohome
Eight Point

Hunt In: El Campo,TX & Arizona and Utah

You dont really gain anything from shooting subsonic suppressed...you still have the sound of the rifle cycling, sound of projectile hitting animal, and resulting squealing/noise from dying hog. All of those result in spooking additional pigs in the sounder.

With speeds in the subsonic range you also lose trajectory which can be managed but also lose bullet expansion, unless you run bullets designed to expand at subsonic velocities. I like big wound channels and generous blood trails.

When you reduce the speed you have to get the bullet weight up to overcome resulting energy loss. I have run 350 gr subs through my 375 Raptor and 600gr through my 458 SOCOM suppressed and they are fun to play with but for hunting application I run supersonic as I don't get any benefit from subs.

Most of my hunting is done with thermal at night and judging distance can be problematic so I tend to put my thermal on flatter shooting calibers like the 6mm Creedmoor as it gives you more of a margin for error.

300 BO subs will kill hogs but there are way better options I would put before it.
Closetohome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 03:15 PM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
We were using the blackouts suppressed with thermals, so most shots were not precise. But I shot one under the ear twice, and in the neck once before he gave up the fight. No telling how many that ran off. Itís a useless round for my money.

Youíre suppressed .22 sounds like the ticket, if for no other reason than itís light and will fit in a backpack.

Yep. They are fine for a single head shot.

On running pigs they are trash
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendit View Post
This is true.

Itís not the cartridgeís fault if you donít hit the vitals, itís the shooters lack of ability to hit them is the problem. For some reason people get behind a semi auto such as an AR15 with a 10-20 shot mag and think they can make up poor shooting with more bullets down range. It is true the more shots you shoot your chances of hitting it increases but are they lethal? Sometimes but probably not, it slows the pig down and makes it easier to hit until it stops and you can then plug away. Again not the fault of the cartridge on account you canít hit the vitals.
I shot one in the head 3 times, the last at point blank as he was trying to chew on my boot. Same spot I've killed hundreds with every other caliber I shoot..right under, and behind, the ear. I'm not sure what ammo it was, it wasn't my rifle, but it was some form of hollow point looking thing.

And I don't reload. But if I did, I'd do it in a more capable round.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #22
sendit
Ten Point

Quote:
I shot one in the head 3 times, the last at point blank as he was trying to chew on my boot. Same spot I've killed hundreds with every other caliber I shoot..right under, and behind, the ear. I'm not sure what ammo it was, it wasn't my rifle, but it was some form of hollow point looking thing.

It’s apparent that the first 2 shots didn’t contact the brain. It could have been bullet failure or shot placement. Most likely shot placement.

When the brain is hit by a bullet it disrupts it’s function and the pig dies pretty much instantly of if not becomes immobile at the very least. You connected with the brain with your “point blank” shot stopping the attack on your boot.

The only way to know would be am autopsy and see exactly the path of the three bullets. I am sticking with the first two didn’t hit the brain but the 3rd and final shot did.
sendit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #23
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Thatís kind of the point. I shot him where I always shoot them in the head, and the bullet didnít reach the brain.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #24
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Wrong Ammo used. Iíve killed a bunch of them shooting them through the shoulders with the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #25
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Iím sure there is an ammo combo that will perform better. But I fail to see the point with so many more capable calibers out there.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #26
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Iím sure there is an ammo combo that will perform better. But I fail to see the point with so many more capable calibers out there.

No doubt. Itís a specialized caliber for sure.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #27
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Wrong Ammo used. Iíve killed a bunch of them shooting them through the shoulders with the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX.

Those 110s arenít subsonic though, and perform considerably better. Iíve got to agree with Dale on this one, but Iíve got a kind of bitter hatred for the (IMO useless) caliber.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #28
tommy1005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall Co.

Iíve shot a pile of hogs and a couple deer with a 16Ē suppressed and the 120 barnes. Farthest Iíve had them run was 30-40 yards with shots through the shoulders. Head shots were always drt.
tommy1005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #29
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've killed a bunch and seen a bunch killed with 130 grain Remington Hog Hammer. Which has a Barnes bullet in it. I've hit hogs between the eyes with that bullet, which people claim is the worst shot you can take on one. They fell over every time.

Can't recommend using a V-Max though. Shot them with those too and had way more run off.

Last edited by okrattler; 02-24-2021 at 01:37 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #30
TexasHayBaler
Nubbin' Buck

May end up selling a 300.
TexasHayBaler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #31
imyomama
Ten Point

been shooting 300blk since back when you had to make your own brass ... also used 338 spectre and dropped a pig with 300gr sierra .. they all will do the job. I shoot supers now most of the time because they rarely come to feeder / known distance and subs need to be dialed in perfect ... with that said , my buddy i hunt with has had them run with 30/06 ... you kinda get a different mind set from deer shot placement .. but even 300 blk supers are pickier than say 556 when shooting at allot of running pigs .. its way more challenging drop/lead etc ... grendel is a little faster , 556 still rips the best with the right bullets.. the old folks used to brag about 30/30 .. well 300blk. is not far from that and some companies are making pretty dang good expanding subs now ... but it's still not a cannon ... friend of mine actually uses his thermal on a shotgun with buck shot and it works about as good or better than anything he's tried and he has used 300blk , 6.8 , and others ... but now he uses 308 ...

there is no magic caliber . 300blk has been my go to but i try to get within 100 yards
with ammo shortage i'm actually dusting off my 7.62x39 ammo .. probably will be using this for a while until loading supply come back ... also got my remington 243 threaded a few months ago , but it's not setup with thermal , or i'd use it ..

lastly, i shoot lehigh's, barnes , hornady's and others .. man those lehigh control chaos don't disappoint ...

imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top