Tilt/trim issue on outboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilt/trim issue on outboard?

Just purchased an 18ft all weld with a 75hp Suzuki 2 stroke. Took it out for the first time this morning and I started noticing an issue. Occasionally the motor will not trim down. Doesn’t matter if I hit the down botton on the throttle or the out board it wouldn’t make any sound or anything. I would have to trim the motor up more and just repeatedly hit the button and then it would suddenly start working again? Seems to be some kind of electrical issue. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by SwineAssassiN View Post
    Just purchased an 18ft all weld with a 75hp Suzuki 2 stroke. Took it out for the first time this morning and I started noticing an issue. Occasionally the motor will not trim down. Doesn’t matter if I hit the down botton on the throttle or the out board it wouldn’t make any sound or anything. I would have to trim the motor up more and just repeatedly hit the button and then it would suddenly start working again? Seems to be some kind of electrical issue. Any thoughts?
    Clean the contacts on the shifter. I use some Emory cloth on.mine

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      Clean the contacts on the shifter. I use some Emory cloth on.mine

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
      It’s doing the same thing even if I hit the button on the outboard itself?

Comment

Could be low on fluid. Sounds like it’s getting to a certain resistance and quitting.

Comment

Relay or bad wire on pump

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ground issue.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Have someone service the unit. Bet some seal(s) are needing replaced.

Comment

Simple,there are two relay type switches for up and down. Take the top cover off the outboard and tap these while trying to trim up or down,bet that it will work. Sometimes a cleaning will do, best to just replace. Easy to find,follow wires from switch.

Comment

after you do that and cleaning the switch doesn't resolve it. then just replace the tilt motor.
                  after years of service moisture has worked its way into it to either corrode the brushes or other contact points. for $100 off ebay just replace it and declare victory.

Comment

It's the solenoids. Unfortunantly they are all in one unit instead of 2 separate solenoids.. Probably about $100. Easy r&r.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                      Simple,there are two relay type switches for up and down. Take the top cover off the outboard and tap these while trying to trim up or down,bet that it will work. Sometimes a cleaning will do, best to just replace. Easy to find,follow wires from switch.
                      This is your solution. On my 4stroke they are all in one unit. Not sure about your 2 stroke. Google is your friend.

Comment

Goggle tilt relay 75hp Suzuki and you will see a picture of the relay and places to buy one. I was able to use a warn ATV winch relay on my Yamaha. It fit just fine and was much cheaper than ordering a genuine Yamaha relay.

Comment

Ours has done that twice. Relays both times. You can buy relays at the auto parts store. About $15. Easy fix.

Comment

I think there are 2 relays, 1 for up and one for down.

Google it and if that is the case swap the relays and see if the problem moves to trimming up. That will keep you from buying a relay if that is not the problem.
                            Also good to know if you are out fishing with the motor trimmed way up and find out the relay went bad and it now will not go down and you are 4 miles from the ramp and sun has set
                            Exact thing happened to my friend and that is how I know the above

Comment

Its most likely the relays, as others have said. Cheap part. Should be a little 1-2" black box that pulls out on the side of your block

Comment

Working...
                              X