• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer protein

What do you guys use I want some thing I can
    Use in my spin cast feeder...
    I also have a feeder tube I can use
    Is there a protein feed dad has a sent to attract them to it

If I start feeding protein year round How many years would it take to see a diffrents this is a small 60 acre track that I own

IMHO, on 60 acres, you're just feeding your neighbors' deer. I would put in a small food plot, or just feed corn year round to keep them coming to your property. You won't see a difference on that few acres in antler size.

Comment

We have 78 acres and have been protein and corn year round and have seen a good difference in our deer. As "ultrastealth" said, yes we are feeding the neighbor's deer also but over the years we have also seen lots more deer on our place also. It can't hurt, let's put it like that.

Comment

Sigh...here comes this discussion again.
        No, but really, you'll get lots of good opinions on here. Do what you can and learn as you go.

I agree with forced-2-work. Anything helps and its an additional attractant. Also put in a small food plot. And talk to your neighbors. And selectively cull the herd. And, little by little, it will make a difference.

Comment

I use a corn and roasted soy bean mix in my gravity feeders.

Comment

Double Down or L&E. I have a small place as well, and while I know I am feeding the neighbors deer and don't expect to see a huge difference in size, I have seen 3-4 times the amount of deer since implementing protein. If you can afford it, do it.

Comment

Originally posted by OBU13DAD View Post
              I use a corn and roasted soy bean mix in my gravity feeders.
              How much a bag

Comment

Good advice ultrastealth, food plot and corn year round

Comment

I do feed corn year round I brought it dec of last year

Comment

If your feeding on small acreage and seeing a difference I would suspect your neighbors are feeding also. Keep doing your part.

Comment

I would feed it year round free choice if you have the extra money. Sure you will be feeding the neighbors deer, but you will also be hunting the neighbors deer. You are doing that now with no feed. I have been feeding my place year round for the last 4 yrs now and know none of my neighbors are feeding any protein. It has made a huge difference in buck traffic and quality in that time frame. For the last 2 yrs now I see more bucks than does and in archery season I see 2.5X more bucks than does. I have also seen a difference in the amount of quality bucks that make it from one year to the next. That has improved my age classes of bucks over that same time frame.

Comment

What protein do you use? Any experience with Double down deer feed?

Comment

Don't feed any type of pellets through a broadcast feeder. You are asking for trouble. Roasted Soybean and peas will perform much better with the moisture that the feed is exposed to. Feed pellets free choice 24-7-365 if you have the means. Use a quality feeder. It will make life much easier.

Comment

do not feed protein in spin cast

Comment

You can feed pellets in a spin feeder but you have to alter the spinner plate to include an agitator to keep the pellets flowing. But feeding pellets this way is not efficient. I would get a timered protein feeder designed to feed pellets. If not then looking into roasted soybeans or peas.

Comment

Working...
                              X