Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Wolfpack0311
Six Point

Hunt In: Bee County
Default Rattling tips s.tx

Ok guys just did a soft rattling sequence for 45 secs before I got inside the blind, how often should I rattle and is this the time to start here in south texas!! Any info would be helpful
Wolfpack0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Walker
Ten Point

Any day now. If they are going hot you cant hardly do it wrong. Im sure you can find an actual fight on utube or as omewhere else on the web. Find one and listen.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

in... Spending a week at the ranch come Christmas. Bow hunting my tripods morning/evenings and sitting in rifle blinds all day. Counting down the days... First time doing any significant hunting during the full blown rut down there.
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
tbgascorer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

If you don't have visible deer, do it every 30 minutes or so. Who knows what will have moved within earshot of you in that time. They will always come in from downwind. And if you can see real estate, you can watch them circling. Good luck.
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Wolfpack0311
Six Point

Keep the info coming, like to here your successes and what you did
Old 12-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #6
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I would alternate rattling and grunting
Sometimes they respond much better to just the grunt. If they think another buck is on a hot doe they will come running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Wolfpack0311
Six Point

10-4
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
HDWRENCH
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cisco, San Juan

Even when they are hot rattling for the TX deer I have found rattle softly and just for a second or two then break a stick or rack the ground then a little rattle .. Finish up with a grunt .

I called a buck that I have passed on several times now from 600 yards away , Not seen on come in directly always more so on a hook with wind intheir face
HDWRENCH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

When the NFR starts the rut in S Texas is really getting would up. Get on the ground and rattle. After 30-45 minutes walk and move about 100-200 yds and repeat. Never had much success rattling at a feeder. My ex family has a ranch in Zavala Cnty near Batesville. I would have somebody drop me off somewhere toward back of the ranch or 2-3 miles away around 9-10 in the morning and work my way back to head quarters or where ever they left me a truck. Rattled in some monsters but most were off limits to me and many times I didn’t have a gun except for a pistol. Also south Texas rattle with minimum 140-150 inch sheds.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

I was in Oklahoma the week before thanksgiving and it was crazy, the bucks wouldn’t really respond to rattling but it was like calling ducks with the grunt.
I grunted up 7 bucks one morning, three came in together one time
[https://vimeo.com/304494813]

Here is a nice 8 that I grunted up one evening out of the red river bottom
He came up wind about 200 yds from the stand, stopped at about 80 yds and then made a complete circle around me, about a 50 yd radius before finally going to the feeder.

[https://vimeo.com/304495346]

I shot this one on a morning hunt, he was the 4th one that came in to the grunt, had a big 12 come in about 2 hrs later after another grunting sequence.

I grunted up a nice 9py, prob 135-140 early one evening hunt but he came in right under me and I never could get a shot off.
Even after they would come in, look around and leave, you could call them back.
Just one of those magical weeks.

OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #11
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Had some luck this year already. I suggest the biggest horns you can find.
Also use a grunt tube. I also try to make as much fight noise as possible by hitting horns on the ground and breaking brush. But as said above, when it’s right time you can’t do it wrong. But be ready , stuff happens fast.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #12
Txbownut
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas, East Texas, Colorado

This week two years ago, I saw the craziest buck fight I could imagine. Two big bucks, one a heavy ten and the other I don't know, tried to kill each other for about 10 minutes. They snapped mesquite trees as big around as your wrist. I heard two snort wheezes, and then they threw down. As soon as they did, 6-8 smaller bucks and a couple of does came running in. This was all less than 25 yards from me in an 8' tripod. No shot. As others have said, when it's on, I think it's hard to make too much noise.
Txbownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
deerplanter
Ten Point

This is what works for me. I either wear snake chaps or at least high boots. If no deer in sight I start walking thru brush, cactus and kicking up rocks all while rattling my horns. I generally walk about 25 yards out and then retreat back to my hiding place and wait. This usually will bring in anything that is interested.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
Wolfpack0311
Six Point

Thanks fellas all good info, I'll put it to use
Old 12-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #15
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

If you are hunting from the ground, try stomping your feet as you rattle the horns. Two bucks fighting will make a lot of noise. Blow your grunt tube between rattling.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #16
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

Works best on the ground. Never used a grunt call in my life but that's not saying it doesnt work. I like to set up on the down wind side of a pipe line or opening. As most bucks will come in close enough to see then circle down wind of you. Make them come into the open. I like a using a 30-30 with open sigths.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
mastercraftka
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I have rattled the past week or so and had no response yet. In the past when it is time I will know it and that hasn't happened yet. Our buck however are running does and i have seen several bucks with broken tines already.
mastercraftka is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #18
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRat View Post
I was in Oklahoma the week before thanksgiving and it was crazy, the bucks wouldn’t really respond to rattling but it was like calling ducks with the grunt.
I grunted up 7 bucks one morning, three came in together one time
[https://vimeo.com/304494813]

Here is a nice 8 that I grunted up one evening out of the red river bottom
He came up wind about 200 yds from the stand, stopped at about 80 yds and then made a complete circle around me, about a 50 yd radius before finally going to the feeder.

[https://vimeo.com/304495346]

I shot this one on a morning hunt, he was the 4th one that came in to the grunt, had a big 12 come in about 2 hrs later after another grunting sequence.

I grunted up a nice 9py, prob 135-140 early one evening hunt but he came in right under me and I never could get a shot off.
Even after they would come in, look around and leave, you could call them back.
Just one of those magical weeks.

Links aren't working for me, bud...but I have to say, that must have been an awesome trip
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #19
DimmitCo
Four Point

If rattling from the ground make sure you can see easily from your cover in a few directions. Someone said use 140-150" sheds...YES! And the heavier the better!

I prefer rattling from a tripod as I feel I'm not pinpointed as easily as when bucks come in and I'm stomping on the ground. I also feel the sound travels further since I'm closer to the top of the tree line.

Couple things that have worked well in drawing in mature bucks rather than youngsters:
Rattle starting 9:30-10am on through the middle of the day when other hunters are at camp for lunch.
If you're near a tree, rake the antlers against it as loud as you can prior to your rattling session.
Don't be afraid to make as much noise as you can (grunting, stepping on bushes and stomping if you're on the ground, etc)
I do long growl grunts from the grunt call while rattling
The most success in rattling the largest number of mature bucks in has been after Christmas through the first week of Jan (post-rut phase). This is near Catarina/Big Wells area.

Last edited by DimmitCo; 12-06-2018 at 01:03 PM.
DimmitCo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #20
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Check out Larry Weishund’s (Sp?) videos in S Tx. He rattles lightly and constantly, just tickling antlers together. I’d say it works for him.
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
PROUDREDNECK
Ten Point

There is no special secuence that you must follow while rattling in bucks brother.

But there are some days and some times more productive than others, unfortunatelly its a matter of luck.

Keep on mind that a buck can hear the rattling noise from several yardas away sometimes hundreds.

Its best to start your rattling softly just touching antler to antler tips kinda sparring bucks, this will not spook close deer, and then after a little if nothing appears start bangling hard those antlers and while slamming ém stomp the ground or near brushes, remember you are trying to immitate a fight and those fights some times are really aggressive and of course noisy.

After you bang the antlers for some time put ém appart and be ready for any incoming deer, they ussually come quietly, but if the diominant buck hears the noise he can come charging the sound source like mad as a bull

Hope this helps good luck!
PROUDREDNECK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #22
Wolfpack0311
Six Point

Theirs alot of good information, thanks guys!!!
Old 12-07-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I save the tarsal glands from bucks and does...put them in ziploc bags and freeze them. They are a powerful attractant that arouses a deer's curiosity, and work VERY well when rattling. It gives the bucks a scent to focus on when the come in to rattling. Just open the ziploc and hang it downwind of your setup. Works good without the rattling too.

https://shootingtime.com/hunting/tar...-deer-hunting/
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #24
Wolfpack0311
Six Point

^ that's a good idea will have to try!!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:36 PM   #25
DimmitCo
Four Point

Almost forgot...If you're rifle hunting with a scope, turn it down to 4x or 5x power. Sometimes they come in fast!!
DimmitCo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top