Home Building Question: Up or Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Building Question: Up or Out?

Trying to start the process of building our "last" house on our property in Harrison County. The wife and I aren't interested in building a huge house that we end up not being able to take care of when we get old. We have one kid left at home and he'll be gone in 7-8 years.

We are looking at about 1700-2000sf with a detached garage 3/2.5. She is very particular when it comes how she wants the house laid out. She wants a giant kitchen with a walk-in panty, huge laundry room, large master bedroom with fairly large his/hers closets.

One thought was to just draw it up and pour the concrete. I remember hearing though that it is cheaper to build up than to build out. This got me thinking to go with a relatively steep roof pitch and put the second two bedrooms along with a bathroom upstairs. The second two bedrooms will mainly be used for grandkids after the youngest leaves home.

I have generally been opposed to multi-story dwellings after spending a summer working for a furniture company in high school but I am wondering if when we get real old we probably wouldn't be going up there much anyway so I don't know if it would hurt to have the upstairs.

Cheaper to go up!

Comment

I wouldn't go 2 story. You still have to clean it.

Every person I've ever talked to over 50 with a 2 story says "never again".

Comment

I agree with Dale on this one. If you are looking long term , the older you get the harder it will be to go up the stairs. Tes there are lifts available to get you up there but will it be worth the trouble. If I were to build one it would be very close to ada guide lines. I may at some point in life need a wheel chair. You never know.

Comment

I'm with Dale, it maybe cheaper but you'll most likely regret it.

Comment

No stairs, better to stay single story with walk in showers.

Comment

1 story only when it is your "last" home. At least you can use them for something if they are all on the first floor.

Comment

I agree one story. As a real estate appraiser I do work all the time where over 50 crowd sell their two story to move into a one story. Over 50 communities such as Sun City Georgetown are all one story homes. Small kids and stairs might be an issue as well.

Comment

we built our last home couple years ago. i made it all wheelchair wide or easily modified to be, downstairs. the upstairs is just for kids, grand kids, guests. with 2 teenage kids at home, i can honestly say it's been weeks since i've even been up there. we have zoned ac so we can basically just shut down the upstairs when no one is there.

so when we get old, it will be very infrequent that we go up stairs. i do wish we could have done a mother-in-law suite down stairs for guests but wife wanted a traditional dinning room. no talking her out of it. and no room in budget for both.

Comment

I've built and lived in 3. The last one we lived in for 10 years and I went up stairs about 4 times.. I'd build it 1 story

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                      Cheaper to go up!
                      I disagree, Elevation cost. Higher the exterior wall the more scaffolding and such drives the price. Roofers and Vinyl go up too. Floor joist cost, tongue & groove flooring it all adds additional cost. Up usually needs an additional A/C unit. Not to mention you will eventually not want to climb stairs.

"Out" and "Up"may be a wash price wise if you look into it.

Comment

I would go out and never up.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                          I disagree, Elevation cost. Higher the exterior wall the more scaffolding and such drives the price. Roofers and Vinyl go up too. Floor joist cost, tongue & groove flooring it all adds additional cost. Up usually needs an additional A/C unit. Not to mention you will eventually not want to climb stairs.

"Out" and "Up"may be a wash price wise if you look into it.
                          This is true.

We went mostly one story but built a room over the master bedroom as an "attic" storage room.

If spray foaming I'd make as much of the attic as I could into rooms for kids/grand kids. But have all plans say attic space. You will be heating/cooling it either way.

BTW - We just took an existing home plan and used a guy in the country to modify the plans to what we wanted. It wasn't hard.

Comment

We have had a two story in the suburbs a few years ago and it was more expensive to heat and cool. If you are a diy guy it is more difficult for obvious reasons. As you get older the possibilities are always there for falling down the stairs. As we are now dealing with elderly parent issues I would eliminate all hazards such as a two story. We just built our retirement home and it’s all one story with allot of windows to see out different views for when we get old. Spray foam I can’t stress enough due to efficiency. The only windows that raise are in the bedrooms for efficiency also.
                            Last edited by tps7742; 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM.

Comment

As a guy who has been wheelchair and walker bound a couple of times, I wouldn't even consider 2 story. Also, bathroom doors all need to be wide enough for wheelchair. My last house we took the master bedroom bathroom door off so my walker would go through. Walk in shower is a must also, also with a bench in it. If you get old or rehab an injury in the house, these things will keep it livable for you.

The only reason to go up, is putting a large house on a small lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X