Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Causes Office to Stink Like Sewer When Its Windy Outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Causes Office to Stink Like Sewer When Its Windy Outside?

I've moved my business into another building and I've noticed that when its windy, my office smells like sewer. Did they just not put in a pee trap when the plumbing was done? What can be done to correct this problem?

Thanks

George

Do you have floor drains? I have dealt with this coming from those.
    We poured around a gallon of water in each drain to help control the i.ssue we were having

Comment

Yes, there are there are 3 floor drains in the building. There is one in each restroom

Comment

Originally posted by BOWERIK View Post
        Do you have floor drains? I have dealt with this coming from those.
        We poured around a gallon of water in each drain to help control the i.ssue we were having

This

Comment

Everything that has a P-trap should have a water seal which prevents back flow of sewer gases. Improperly installed floor drains that don't hold water will vent back into the building. Easiest fix? They make a lilt ball float stopper that screws into the floor drain. It will sit down on the pipe to seal, but floats up to drain any water that comes in.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jE7VIXbbpA"]SureSeal Floor Drain Trap Sealer - Blocks Sewer Smells and Odors - YouTube[/ame]
          Last edited by Blank; 02-07-2019, 10:32 AM.

Comment

What business was in the building before you moved in?

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll look into getting this fixed with the water or ball float.

JHT, there was an imaging company here before.

Comment

these guys nailed it.
                might try to just add water to the traps first to see if it is enough to seal. Over time, the traps can have the seal water evaporate a little when not used.

Comment

Was the business a massage parlor before you?

Comment

An old cheap plumber's trick was to pour some Veg Oil into the floor drains. It will not evaporate and keeps the trap sealed. I have even heard of some using light weight motor oil. Water will drain down thru the oil and leave the oil floating on top and thereby keep the trap sealed.

Comment

Wind blowing from Louisiana?

Comment

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OE7MyZy6IX4"]Kevin's Smelly Shoes - The Office US - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by flyin7 View Post
                          Thanks for the help. I'll look into getting this fixed with the water or ball float.

JHT, there was an imaging company here before.
                          Ok. Bars & kitchens flush a ton of nasty stuff down the drains. It can build up and get stinky.

Comment

How old is the building? Depending on age a lot these of these buildings have trap primers that go bad fairly frequently. Not only at floor drains but possibly your Ac condensate as well. Also check where your HW heater sits and see if there is drain there as well.

Comment

we had this same problem recently at our office bld
                              turns out that our commercial air handler up on the roof is only few feet away from sewer gas vent...
                              when wind shifts out of north like today... it pushes smell to our intake and yep it gets sucked into the building ...

best option is to make an elbow with a 10 ft pvc pipe redirecting the gas away from your intake vent

Comment

Working...
                              X