Cellular Covert EBay Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cellular Covert EBay Deal?

I bid $250 on a new in box Verizon Covert Blackhawk LTE and won. Howd I do? Is it a reliable cellular cam? I know very little about them but saw they were around $400 online.

Any recommendations on battery life? Would like to run external and solar, I know nothing about it.

I just bought a Blackhawk on eBay for $325, so I’d say you did good on it. Get the Enloop pro AA batteries along with the covert solar panel. It’s the only way to go IMO. Those cameras eat batteries. The batteries I posted above are pricey, but you won’t need batteries for a long time.

Covert makes the actual solar panel that goes with these cameras. You may can use other solar panels, but I don’t know anything about them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
      I just bought a Blackhawk on eBay for $325, so I’d say you did good on it. Get the Enloop pro AA batteries along with the covert solar panel. It’s the only way to go IMO. Those cameras eat batteries. The batteries I posted above are pricey, but you won’t need batteries for a long time.

Covert makes the actual solar panel that goes with these cameras. You may can use other solar panels, but I don’t know anything about them.
      I have a spare 80w panel
      Is that too much power for the camera or will the camera adjust itself down?

Comment

I don’t know what’s up, but there are some brand new Spartan cellular cameras on eBay for under $220. I’m pretty sure I had one “drown” in the flooding at my place in NW OK this week, so I may be needing a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
          I bid $250 on a new in box Verizon Covert Blackhawk LTE and won. Howd I do? Is it a reliable cellular cam? I know very little about them but saw they were around $400 online.

Any recommendations on battery life? Would like to run external and solar, I know nothing about it.

Folks usually ask this question before they buy..

If you have Verizon signal in your area you need the camera, its a great buy and camera...

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post

Everything here that Hammer says is the truth but I would substitute the Eneloop Pros with the rebranded Eneloops Pros in the Amazon Basics brand in 2400MAH. much more affordable. You'll need 12 AAs plus the solar charger he stated above. Once you do that it is literally set it and forget about batteries for 2 years. You need an 8 pack and a 4 pack of the below! It is absolutely important that you get the 2400mah if you want to be set it and forget it. Don't try to get by with less MAH or you are wasting your money. I run 4 and have 6....all my running cameras have the solar and Amazon Basics now.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Folks usually ask this question before they buy..

If you have Verizon signal in your area you need the camera, its a great buy and camera...

Everything here that Hammer says is the truth but I would substitute the Eneloop Pros with the rebranded Eneloops Pros in the Amazon Basics brand in 2400MAH. much more affordable. You'll need 12 AAs plus the solar charger he stated above. Once you do that it is literally set it and forget about batteries for 2 years. You need an 8 pack and a 4 pack of the below! It is absolutely important that you get the 2400mah if you want to be set it and forget it. Don't try to get by with less MAH or you are wasting your money. I run 4 and have 6....all my running cameras have the solar and Amazon Basics now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZV9WTM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
            Yup have good Verizon signal. Hahaha I know, figured worst case scenario I just sold it locally for $300 and still end up a winner.

Thank you for the info, I’ll put in an order for these batteries and the solar panel.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              I have a spare 80w panel
              Is that too much power for the camera or will the camera adjust itself down?
              I’m not sure on that. You may need some sort of charging regulator. Smart or others may know.

Comment

Make sure these are 4G camera's the 3G Verizon camera's won't work after 1/1/2020. There was a good thread in the DIY section on battery power. I set mine up the same way as the OP in that thread. Solar panel, small battery tender, 12v deer feeder battery and the external cord from covert. Works great.

Comment

When I went to Covert.com to look at the solar panel they had a video where they used a 6V battery. Is there any reason advantage the AAs mentioned above have over a 6V battery from the store when both are used with a solar panel?

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                    Make sure these are 4G camera's the 3G Verizon camera's won't work after 1/1/2020.
                    Wait...... What?! Why wouldn't this be all over the covert website?!

Comment

It says LTE so I am assuming 4G but can't verify. Can anybody tell from the package?
                      Attached Files

Comment

It says LTE so I am assuming 4G but can't verify. Can anybody tell from the package?

LTE is what you need. You are fine. He was talking to the Spartan guy above I'm pretty sure.

Comment

When I went to Covert.com to look at the solar panel they had a video where they used a 6V battery. Is there any reason advantage the AAs mentioned above have over a 6V battery from the store when both are used with a solar panel?

Give it a shot. Back when I got in two years ago a 6 volt wouldn't keep up with my pics. Another problem was the Covert conversion cord for the 6 volt kept failing too.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            LTE is what you need. You are fine. He was talking to the Spartan guy above I'm pretty sure.
                            Well now that my minor heart attach has subsided I can go about enjoying the rest of my day.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                              There was a good thread in the DIY section on battery power. I set mine up the same way as the OP in that thread. Solar panel, small battery tender, 12v deer feeder battery and the external cord from covert. Works great.
                              Here is that thread for anyone else wanting to read through it: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...Covert+Battery

Comment

Working...
                              X