No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven’t seen much since Thursday evening out in Gillespie, but was committed to stick to it.

Yesterday me and my five year old dropped my wife off at her pop up blind, and I took her to sit in one of my guys on the lease box blind. No expectations and was intended to be a practice run with the little one. We had one seen a small 7 pt and a spike, then we got covered up in cows. I already chalked this one up as a success after managing to keep her pretty still and quiet for 2.5 hrs, and out come 2 more small bucks. Keep in mind the feeder is 70 yards out. While I was watching the two small bucks through the binos and big 9 pt who I’ve seen born on camera and in person back in October lifts his head up. I have her a nudge and said be still and quiet, 3 bucks are here. Meanwhile the two small bucks circle the outside of the few pen coming closer and the 9 point in tow. I ranged and the front of the feed pen put them at 60 yds. I decided at this point I’m taking the shot if he keeps coming. As the 9 point reaches the front side of the pen, the huge cow that was eating my hand corn at 25 yds turns broadside...yes the thought of steaks for dinner briefly crossed my mind. I was at full draw at this point waiting for the buck to are outside from behind the deer. 2 more steps and he was clear, settled the pin, bleated to stop the buck 3 times but he could not hear me, so it was now or never, and let it fly...nocktournal lit and flew (a long way), thwack! 5:35pm only a few minutes of legal light left. I hit the deer but a bit back since he didn’t stop, and he turned on the path and ran into the woods with my arrow in him. I’ll leave you to imagine the range of emotions. Me and my daughter climbed out of the blind and walked to area of impact, and found massive blood within 5-8 yds from impact. We backed out and went back to camp and pick up mom, gave the deer about and hour and went in to track. Blood trail was like walking down a red sidewalk, and he made it about 75 yds before expiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations sir that's awesome!! Having your daughter there with you makes it even better!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

I'm a big skeptic of mountain lion sightings but I think this may be one from this morning. Our place has had them in the past but no sightings since 2016. This is from a cell cam so I'll pull the card in 2 weeks to get the full resolution picture which should confirm or deny this.

Comment

Hmm what county was this?

Comment

Originally posted by Longue Carabine View Post
              Hmm what county was this?
              Llano, unfortunately after pulling the full resolution picture it is just a coyote sadly.

Comment

I will but up Sunday evening or Monday for as many days as it takes to put a couple hit list bucks on the ground.

Comment

I’m in my stand right now in Richland Springs. Good news is there was no corn on the ground when I got in at 3:30. Something is hitting the corn. I haven’t pulled out the rifle since 2008 but I may do so this weekend. I just want a doe. Right now as I sit here, no gun would make a difference.

Comment

Headed up tomorrow morning to San Saba. Hopefully a few moving now. Looks like the acorns are still pretty thick. Need a couple of deer for the freezer.

Comment

The last two evenings the feeders were packed. Heading up Thursday for one more try.....

Comment

Still tough hunting in our area of San Saba. Hunted since Fri evening & saw 1 deer. Wife & son saw a couple. My wife was talking to our neighbor this AM. He told her he saw the 1st buck in a month & a half this AM. My wife told him she saw one Sat pm. It was the same young wide 8 pt. Trees are finally empty of acorns ,but ground still covered. We tried hand corning, watching a right away & still no go on movement. Looks like we will have plenty of carry over from this season. LOL! Might try the last weekend if weather ain't no good for duck hunting.

Comment

Man it was tough hunting this weekend for us in SE Menard county. Made 4 hunts 2-0’s, 1 with one deer sighted and this morning I saw 7 deer. None of the deer I saw ate corn at all. 4 of them this morning walked over it and didn’t even sniff it.

Comment

All does and small bucks at our feeders. Still hitting the corn regularly but think the big boys are gone for the season.

Comment

Second evening they hit the feeders in semi daylight. First deer came out at 4:15 tonight.
                              Numerous more followed. Multiple boys and girls ignoring each other and pigging out. This coming weekend may be huge..................

Comment

Well my main target buck named potential made it through the general season. He was coming to a feeder during the daylight 300 yards behind camp with the camp does but I did not have a stand for the west wind this past weekend so I turned that feeder off, hoping to force him to my main blind. He went to my main blind to eat rice bran but only after dark. On the bright side I found the 2017 shed to the buck I did shoot this season. Next season we will have a ton or 6 and 7 year olds running around!

Comment

Working...
                                X