This Buck Survived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Buck Survived

I’ve been watching this buck on camera since late summer and watched him grow. He was without a doubt my number one target going into the season. As the season approached he went very nocturnal as expected. At best I’d get him on camera for a minute or two at daybreak. Then finally comes opening morning and I went in for my first hunt. I had a ton of deer traffic at daybreak, does, fawns, and some young bucks, but not this guy. 745 rolls around and all of the deer traffic had cleared out and I’d pretty much written off the morning as a no show. Low and behold I see movement to my left and he jumps into my feed pin with two other small bucks....I was at full draw before all four of his hooves hit the ground at 27 yds, exactly as I had played the scenario over in my head for months. At this point I started to tell myself to slow down, and I took one more breath as he settled broadside and put the pin on his heart slowly pulling back and let it fly. He jumped the string hard and I saw the nocktournal, with 2.1” Sevr hit high. The arrow penetrated both sides but did not pas through. He busted out of the feed pin and hauled *** across the field edge I was hunting as I watched my red/green flashing nock for 250 yds as he hit the opposite tree line and disappeared, and I was stunned with disbelief. Then I played everything over and over again in my head, and waited. I waited and hour went back to camp to try to collect myself and went back in with my wife, uncle and cousin to look for blood. There was no blood at point of impact so went straight to the treeline 250 yds away to look. My wife found one drop of blood size of an eraser. We then found the same amount drops size of pinpoints about every 10-20 yds basically crawling and continued for another 100 yd until we lost it. We called it at this point after 4 hrs. We went back that night to see if there was any sign of the arrows lighted nock but nothing.

Fast forward and here he is back on camera almost a month later on Oct 24th!

Then last weekend I pull another camera card and got a good pic of the impact and scar from the shot, and after seeing this I didn’t hit him as high as I thought I did and in shot him on the right side same as the angle in this pic.

I’m shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely broadside? What arrows do you use? If he was completely broadside with that placement it should have made a pass though looks like you need to get you some FMJ’s!

Comment

This Buck Survived

That’s a backstrap hit. The backbone hoes lower than a lot of folks think. And then, if he rolled a bit, that would put the exit even higher.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
        Completely broadside? What arrows do you use? If he was completely broadside with that placement it should have made a pass though looks like you need to get you some FMJ’s!

Shooting Mathews Vertix, 70lbs, FMJ arrows @475 grains

Comment

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] bullet proof vest?

Comment

they are tough animals for sure here is one my buddy shot with a grim reaper this is two weeks later... still have no idea how she’s walking

Comment

Tough critters. Hope you get another chance at him

Comment

I am proud of you for coming out of the tree about this buck. Now maybe you will fell better and get back in the game. We missed you and your family’s smiley faces at camp for Thanksgiving. Hope to see you soon.

Oh and Happy Birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  That’s a backstrap hit. The backbone hoes lower than a lot of folks think. And then, if he rolled a bit, that would put the exit even higher.

Bisch

There is no way that entry hole is over the spine

Comment

This Buck Survived

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                    There is no way that entry hole is over the spine

Well, it’s not below the spine! If it was, he would be dead!!!!! My guess, like I stated above, is that he rolled some, and the arrow either just went over the spine, or hit a bone and glanced over the spine. That buck is not dead because the arrow did not go thru the chest cavity!!!!!

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 11-29-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      Well, it’s not below the spine! If it was, he would be dead!!!!! My guess, like I stated above, is that he rolled some, and the arrow either just went over the spine, or hit a bone and glanced over the spine. That buck is not dead because the arrow did not go thru the chest cavity!!!!!

Bisch

I hit one in the same area 3 weeks ago at a downward angle, at least a foot of arrow in him based on scaling my arrow wrap in the picture of him with a doe the next morning. No rolling, no high exit. Blood trail was easy to follow even had blood sprayed on a tree at one point. Backed out because I knew the shot wasn't perfect and 30 minutes before I was supposed to meet the dog handler he walked in front of my cell camera with the doe, my arrow in full view, lots of blood on his side. I can't explain it and neither can anybody else who has seen the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                        I hit one in the same area 3 weeks ago at a downward angle, at least a foot of arrow in him based on scaling my arrow wrap in the picture of him with a doe the next morning. No rolling, no high exit. Blood trail was easy to follow even had blood sprayed on a tree at one point. Backed out because I knew the shot wasn't perfect and 30 minutes before I was supposed to meet the dog handler he walked in front of my cell camera with the doe, my arrow in full view, lots of blood on his side. I can't explain it and neither can anybody else who has seen the picture.

I failed to note the downward angle of the shot as well. I was shooting from about 15-17” up in a tree.

Comment

This deer was shot from ground level this is a pic from 3 weeks after the shot. Perfectly broadside this is the exit side he lived for 2 more years. No blood no arrow found only a very small piece of flesh.

Comment

I hit one high over the spine a couple of years ago and did the same thing, showed back up on trail cams a few weeks later. Unfortunately for him he stepped out later in December about 50 yards away from a different stand I was sitting in...with my .30-06. Good luck, and I hope you get him!

Comment

Yep, that's why "the deadly V" is a real thing. Most people aim too high and way too far back. That's also why I don't shoot at a whitetail more than 18 yards away, preferably 16. Too much can happen between release and time of impact over that yardage.

Comment

Working...
                              X