Fairfield lake sp antlerless spike youth hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairfield lake sp antlerless spike youth hunt

Anyone been on a youth hunt at fairfield lake sp? Daughter won the second draw and looking for info. Not much when I used the search function. Thanks.

Dont know any details about the hunts out at the park except that the deer numbers are high, as is the success rate when they have hunts out there. Your daughter should be able to fill a tag.

Comment

Like stated, a bunch of deer. I worked the power plant there for a few years and saw deer around the lake all the time. Good luck to your daughter.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Deer #'s not as high as they used to be, a few kids will get deer but the majority you are seeing for the success % is hogs. Like Hagerman hogs have overrun the place.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
            Deer #'s not as high as they used to be, a few kids will get deer but the majority you are seeing for the success % is hogs. Like Hagerman hogs have overrun the place.
            If anything I would say the deer numbers have gone up, but I do agree about the hogs. Freakin pigs have absolutely taken over the eastern part of Freestone county.

Comment

She doesn't discriminate. Hogs will be shot if they cross her path.

Comment

I fished the lake the past 2 weekends and did not see a single deer on the drive in or out of the park, or even on the shores around the lake. I guess this could be some of the last draw hunts with Vistra Energy not renewing the lease for the park. Got to hope some rich person buys the land and agrees to re-lease the park to the state. Lease expires October 2020. Good luck to your daughter on the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                  I fished the lake the past 2 weekends and did not see a single deer on the drive in or out of the park, or even on the shores around the lake. I guess this could be some of the last draw hunts with Vistra Energy not renewing the lease for the park. Got to hope some rich person buys the land and agrees to re-lease the park to the state. Lease expires October 2020. Good luck to your daughter on the hunt.
                  Maybe cooler weather and corn will help with that.

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                    Maybe cooler weather and corn will help with that.
                    Cant hurt a bit. Capps feed store has corn for $6.50. My deer are still hitting the feeders hard. Acorns are starting to drop and deer are keying on them. Stick it out all day if you can. I see my deer moving around midday cruising the oak trees. I'm about 7 miles from the lake as the crow flies.

Comment

I don't know much about Lake Fairfield hunts. But I can point you to the better places to eat in Fairfield and they are clustered together. Sam's -huge buffet with chicken fry steak and brisket-$16 a person (I-45 service road) or Pontes Cafe, everything is good (Hwy84 just west of 84/I45 intersection or Jollys II, really good, inexpensive hamburgers and breakfast burritos (Shell c-store across from McDonalds on 84). Coles Hamburgers is good too. Don't leave town without getting a burger at Jollys. Very few eating joints (none) once you leave this area to travel to Lake Fairfield. Shoot them pigs.
                      Last edited by BigYoung; 09-26-2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin View Post
                          I hope they can extend the lease, losing that state park will hurt the local economy, no buyers for all that land yet that I've heard of. As far as the lake goes I think unfortunately without them pumping water in from the trinity anymore the boat ramps will be high and dry most of the time as the lake has a very poor watershed, it could still be a great kayak and small craft lake.

Comment

My son got drawn for the Jan1-3 hunt. Never been here but he’ll be excited when I tell him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are the hunt before that 30th to the 1st

Comment

Working...
                              X