Red Wolf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    Genetics is a little more complicated than what you see. I have no blue eyed family members in my immediate or relatively distant family. My wife has no blue eyes in her immediate, though her granddad had blue eyes, and yet I have 3 blue eyed children. For what we reason that recessive trait on both sides expressed itself across my offspring
    What color eyes does Sancho have?

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
      Dan Flores “ coyote America “ is a great book you guys
      Should check it out .

Oh lawd... in before all the butthurt from the yote-hater snowflake crowd.

For real though, that's a fascinating book, it really changed my thought process on coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
        I spoke with the fella and he has good intentions even though it's a shot in the dark, all you have to do is a quick search online and find a ton of data on the subject.
        Numbers alone speak volumes 400 trapped and only 17 were found to be pure genetic red wolves and were shipped to the East coast for a captive breeding program to save the species.

I posted 2 pictures to the thread and ended up with US fish and game calling me asking what areas they came from, I gladly told them.

Cool story about critters that are extinct in the wild.
        Wow.. Great pics. I've seen BIG 60+lb dogs that look exactly like these here on the coast over the years.. Years ago a rancher shot one that was trying to take down a 500lb calf by itself that was 70ish pounds.. I have pics somewhere..
        Last edited by PondPopper; 12-14-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Some North Carolina landowners are applauding a proposal to shrink the protective habitat for red wolves, which would allow them to be shot if they wander onto private property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
            Yeah I'm not trying to be a richard. And I know that the way I responded did

As an undergrad I spent several years helping with a study on Galapagos tortoise and mgmt between the islands. Then spent 4 years as the lab manager for the genetics lab at the Omaha zoo. Then spent 7 years in another conservation genetics lab where the primary focus the last 4 years of that stint was making genetic management recommendations for the International Whaling Commission.

For the last 10 years I have been researching hairless primates (humans) at a medical center.

I wish the red wolf was still around here, but that battle was lost 80-90 years ago
            I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember when there were very, very few deer in E Texas, and no coyotes at all. When I was about 16/17 years old there were at least three red wolves not a mile from where I'm typing this. I saw them from about 50 yards for five minutes or so. They had a den on the back side of a pond dam that was overgrown with blackberry vines. They looked exactly like the photos of the red wolf posted above. I know you have lots of education, but one thing is very clear to me in this world. There is no such thing as "always" or "never", especially in the wild.

Comment

Good lookin' son of a gun!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I don't know how old you are, but I'm old enough to remember when there were very, very few deer in E Texas, and no coyotes at all. When I was about 16/17 years old there were at least three red wolves not a mile from where I'm typing this. I saw them from about 50 yards for five minutes or so. They had a den on the back side of a pond dam that was overgrown with blackberry vines. They looked exactly like the photos of the red wolf posted above. I know you have lots of education, but one thing is very clear to me in this world. There is no such thing as "always" or "never", especially in the wild.
                Yep absolutes do not exist I the animal kingdom in many cases..

I'm 53 and have a good friend the same age who's entire, family on his fathers side, grew up in Mount Enterprise.. I used to love listening to the stories the old timers in his family used to tell about the Gray wolf and the Red wolf in those parts... How many they killed during "bounty" years.. And man did they have some stories...

Comment

Anyone remember "Wolf Corner" or when Harris County paid a bounty on coyotes/wolves?

We always drove by there on the way to the goose lease at Eagle Lake just to see what was hanging from the fence. Times have sure changed.

[Red Wolf – WildlifeScienceCenter.org] [James Audubon print, “Texas Red Wolf”] Per Wikipedia: Langham Creek High School is a high school located near Cypress, which is an unincorp…

Comment

Best line of truth "There is no such thing as "always" or "never", especially in the wild."
                    Two seasons back I hunted in Anderson county on a small private place VERY close to the Trinity river. One morning extremely early I saw what appeared to be a very large coyote at first from my bow stand, as it drew near it had a very unusual color and coat altogether. I asked a few other folks and they did the same thing a lot of you are doing. Older mature coyote. OKAY, but they weren't there and did not see it run down a pair of doe either. Never saw a coyote literally run down a deer on it's own but this one did.
                    Just my opinion, but there are some unknowns and I am perfectly okay with that, regardless of what some book worm "knows" to be true.
                    -Average guy with average job who is not scared to think or believe independently.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      Anyone remember "Wolf Corner" or when Harris County paid a bounty on coyotes/wolves?

We always drove by there on the way to the goose lease at Eagle Lake just to see what was hanging from the fence. Times have sure changed.

https://houstorian.wordpress.com/200...0/wolf-corner/
                      Wow great reading.. Thanks for posting.
                      "Cypress was a unincorporated community".. LOL many moons ago..

Can you imagine the wigs that would be flipping today over a Wolf corner!!!!!

Comment

Wolf Corner

Comment

Wolf Corner
                          Then and Now

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

Can you imagine the wigs that would be flipping today over a Wolf corner!!!!!
                            No doubt. We always made sure we had the windows rolled up when we drove by. It could smell pretty bad at times.

Comment

Not red wolf, but read the article the other day about Mexican gray wolves and their hybridization

Mexican Gray Wolf I’ll never forget staring into the eyes of a big male Mexican gray wolf. Its piercing eyes reflected a wild lineage that roamed the Southwest until the white man moved in with gun…

Comment

I got a wolf on cam a few years ago. My uncle confirmed it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X