No announcement yet.

Splitting up deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like there’s a lot of people that have been burned. I would like to know from the guys that say, “this is my stand”, do you hunt with a mixed group? I maybe wrong, but if I’m on a lease with only good buddies then why make strict rules, keep it relaxed. I’ve been on leases where you have your area and that’s it, 8 guys on 800ac and each guy has 2+ setups, 7:30 rolls around and it’s crazy listening to 16 feeders going off. Maybe it’s me but, how many feeders/setups does a place need.

People with community blinds, how do you work the cameras?

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
      I feel like there’s a lot of people that have been burned. I would like to know from the guys that say, “this is my stand”, do you hunt with a mixed group? I maybe wrong, but if I’m on a lease with only good buddies then why make strict rules, keep it relaxed. I’ve been on leases where you have your area and that’s it, 8 guys on 800ac and each guy has 2+ setups, 7:30 rolls around and it’s crazy listening to 16 feeders going off. Maybe it’s me but, how many feeders/setups does a place need.

As far as cameras go, we swap out cards and anyone that is interested, copy's the pictures to their computer and passes the cards on to someone else to do the same. We only have 4 members so it is not that big of a deal.

Comment

We each have a stand and we each maintain the stand. This was determined by the order of joining the group. We can hunt any bodies stand after Thanksgiving. We to have a pegboard for after Thanksgiving.

Comment

Personally I would do it where each paid spot has 1 hunting area or feeder. You hunt your own area/feeder unless you have permission. If you have room you could have a "buddy feeder". Where 2 people share a feeder. So if you had 6 people on the lease this would give you a total 9 feeders/stands. Each person having their own and one buddy stand to give you another option Choose location based on seniority. Once someone moves to a new area they go to the bottom of the seniority list.

Deer move around. To me this sort of negates the "hunt the whole 1300 acre argument." In essence you will all be hunting the same deer to some extent no matter how you do it.

Good luck, lots of ways to do this. Just one idea.

Comment

Personally, I like having my own stand.. I keep the feed going. I decide if I want to put out something extra. I decide when to hunt. I can not hunt it for a month and I know nobody else has been in there blowing deer out. I choose how everything is set up. Heck, after hunting the same spots for a long time you even get an idea of where the deer will run when you shoot them. To me it's not boring at all hunting the same spot. Maybe if I had the opportunity to go to the ranch for weeks at a time it would get boring. But usually they are short trips. New deer show up, it never gets boring. I am sure every property is different and every group of people is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
              For those of you that have both "member exclusive" stands and community stands who is responsible for feed and maintenance on the community stands, both financially and physically? Is it a group effort or if someone wants to hunt it they make sure it is huntable?
              Most of our community stands are voluntarily adopted by a member. The member has first rights to hunt the stand if they are present.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Maintain your own stands if someone wants to hunt your stand just ask.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
                  Designated stands that individuals maintain and then a couple of community stands for a change of scenery. The person who found the lease should get first choice on location and then draw spots from there.

That’s exactly how we do it too... oh wait. We’re on the same lease aren’t we? Yeah, it works well and keeps everyone happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My favorite is everyone contributes the same money and time. Community stands. First person there gets to pick their spot and hunt it till they go home for the week/wkd. Then it’s open again. Down the chain. I currently hunt a place that I have my own setup and it gets boring but the guys on the lease are cool enough that we share our spots between a few of us.

Comment

It would depend on where the lease is. I’ve hunted in West Tx. where you can leave your stand on the last day of the season l, and come back the next year and everything looks as you left it. In these situations work camps and community stands seem to work. In East T.C., however it is WAY too much work maintaining, bush hogging, limboing, and planting etc to share with the neighbor who isn’t pulling their weight.

Comment

South texas, 1300 acres with 7 guys. Just trying to figure out a way to make it fair for everyone there. This year 3 of us hunted a small property together in the area and came across this better place for more of us to hunt. The 3 of us will pick first. Just seeing how we want to split it all up. We like the idea of community feeders, I dont know if everyone will commit to running 2 set ups. I know the 3 of us would no problem, not sure on the other 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                          South texas, 1300 acres with 7 guys. Just trying to figure out a way to make it fair for everyone there. This year 3 of us hunted a small property together in the area and came across this better place for more of us to hunt. The 3 of us will pick first. Just seeing how we want to split it all up. We like the idea of community feeders, I dont know if everyone will commit to running 2 set ups. I know the 3 of us would no problem, not sure on the other 4

Half the guys on our ranch live about two hours from the ranch while the other half are considerably further. Naturally, the guys who live closer go out more often in the offseason and take care of the communities. We keep track as a group of the feed cost for those feeders and square up at the end of the season. We all feed and take care of our own primary set ups.

Comment

Originally posted by fulldraw_529 View Post
                            I dont know if everyone will commit to running 2 set ups. I know the 3 of us would no problem, not sure on the other 4

That's easy, just make it a requirement. If you want to be on this lease, you must maintain 2 set-ups. Done.

BUT...14 feeders on 1300 acres is a LOT of feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post

We pull cards and put all the pics on a laptop that stays at the camp. Anyone can look through the pics. The honor system aspect is that someone doesn’t selectively go through and delete pics of all the 200” deer in between the mullets

Comment

We each have our own setup along with a couple "community" stands that everyone maintains.

Comment

Working...
                                X