No announcement yet.

Another “Creedmore” thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stong words from the SOCOM study linked above that compared it to 7.62x51 for semi-auto sniper use:
    doubles their hit probability at 1,000 meters, increases their effective range by nearly half, reduces wind drift by a third and has less recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      Stong words from the SOCOM study linked above that compared it to 7.62x51 for semi-auto sniper use:
      All that and they’ll probably use FMJ

I usually have a pretty good understanding of these things, I can’t explain the 243 Win and how well it works though.

Comment

It’ll be here for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
          All that and they’ll probably use FMJ

I usually have a pretty good understanding of these things, I can’t explain the 243 Win and how well it works though.
          High velocity and pretty ****ed good SD in the higher grain rounds. It is pretty simple.

The 6.5 CM success is simple. While the 6.5x55 SE and .260 Rem should be ballistic twins with 140 grain bullets and should already have the market share that the 6.5 MB has taken, there is a couple of key problems.

For the Swede, it is the low SAAMI standardized pressures that hold back the round, so to get the full potential you need to be a reloader. And, there have never been a ton of rifles made in that caliber in the USA. Also, it is a medium sized cartridge that can't fit in short action rifles.

For the .260 Rem, the lack of support by Remington in making rifles in this caliber and in ammo choices meant that it never gained the popularity that it merited.

So, in my case, as a person that doesn't reload and always wanted a 6.5 caliber rifle because I do believe in high SD bullets and the ballistic sweetspot that 6.5 mm represents, the fact that there have never been a ton of .260 or 6.5 swedes has always held me back from getting one.

Now that there are a proliferation of accurate and budget affordable rifles in 6.5 CM with Hornady support for ammo, the 6.5 CM makes a **** ton of sense.

I have always been a .270 guy. I think the Creedmoor gives me everything a .270 does with 1/3 less recoil. Seems like a bargain.

Comment

I don’t disagree, it does kinda make sense. On deer critters, if I had to use the high SD, I prefer lighter rapid expansion bullets.

I’ll never debate a man’s choice of ammo or caliber too much, to each his own.

Even in my non big bore calibers I prefer a flat base with bonded expanding type bullets for my type of hunting.

Comment

All that and they’ll probably use FMJ.
              SOCOM snipers? I don't think so but what do I know?

Comment

The Military to include Special Units have always been able to up the lethality of their ammunition but choose not to because of the pink vagina hats the higher ups wear.

Comment

Good discussion. As someone that likes to learn one gun, has limited shooting time, and doesn't buy or sell all the time, I'm waited to see which direction the production and market will go concerning recent 6.5 caliber popularity. Already having more guns then I'm proficient to actually shoot. I hesitate to jump on something that isn't a over the counter real world improvement. As mentioned, the real benefit seems to be recoil and barrel life while reloading. Accuracy is also a player but has been present in most well built platforms already. I've also read changes in popularity with the PRC guys largely shooting 6mm cm over the 6.5 already. Sure it's competition but the cool factor sells. I'll continue to sit and wait with my current .284 until something absolutely stands out as a winner. I personally like the 6.5prc stats but ammo is limited. I see no reason for the 260Rem to survive but don't see the 6.5cm ever going away. It just may lose a little marketing luster with competition.

Welcome to “What The Pros Use” 2018 Edition! I recently surveyed the top ranked shooters in both the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) and the National Rifle League (NRL) to learn what gear they’re running in long range rifle matches. These guys represent the best precision rifle shooters in the country, and over the next several ...
                  Last edited by Notaguide; 12-14-2018, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                    Good discussion. As someone that likes to learn one gun, has limited shooting time, and doesn't buy or sell all the time, I'm waited to see which direction the production and market will go concerning recent 6.5 caliber popularity. Already having more guns then I'm proficient to actually shoot. I hesitate to jump on something that isn't a over the counter real world improvement. As mentioned, the real benefit seems to be recoil and barrel life while reloading. Accuracy is also a player but has been present in most well built platforms already. I've also read changes in popularity with the PRC guys largely shooting 6mm cm over the 6.5 already. Sure it's competition but the cool factor sells. I'll continue to sit and wait with my current .284 until something absolutely stands out as a winner. I personally like the 6.5prc stats but ammo is limited. I see no reason for the 260Rem to survive but don't see the 6.5cm ever going away. It just may lose a little marketing luster with competition.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/12/14/rifle-caliber/
                    From a hunting perspective, I don’t put much stock in the competition stuff, though it does drive the market.

#1 They are shooting paper or steel, so energy on target is insignificant. If they developed a .17 that had a 0.9 BC, that’s what they would all shoot.

#2 The “advantages” some of the cartridges tout are insignificant to most of us.

“Sorry Pedro, you took 3rd place with a 0.15” 5-shot group, Jose and Ramon destroyed you with their 0.11” and 0.12” groups. Your rifle just isn’t accurate enough to be competetive...”

Meanwhile, Joe hunter is stoked with any Sub-MOA 3 shot group at 100 yards.

All that being said, I do own a 6.5 Creedmoor and I like it. The “magic” is that is makes it easier to get accurate hits due to less recoil, bucking the wind, match grade ammo, and accurate factory rifles. Seeing clover leaf groups off the bench give you the confidence to take tougher shots.

Comment

I'm hoping it's here to stay. I just had one of the local shops order me a Ruger Predator, in 6.5 Creedmoor, with the Go Wild camo.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                        Yep...here to stay...buy one, play with it, shoot it and if you don't like it...sell it on the GS! I'm kidding, a little, but the boys and I have the CM AND the Grendel and we like 'em a bunch!

"But, like you mentioned Walley World," I've never seen any Walmart stock the same ammo or firearms, depends on management I have been told. Almost like Academy regarding ammo, etc., most of their sales folks are a little SUBSTANDARD on knowledge! And by the way, at least in my experience for anyone in the Weatherford, West Fort Worth, Granbury area...try Gibson's in Weatherford. Momma and I bought some Hornady ammo from them yesterday and they were $5 cheaper than Academy and had several different brands of both 6.5 CM/Grendel IN STOCK!
                        Interesting, while reading this post I decided to surf on over to wally world's website to see what was in stock at my local chinatown and low and behold- it looks like they removed any easy way to see what ammo they sell. I don't know if I'm holding my tongue wrong or what- but Wal-marts ammo link looks to have disappeared.

Comment

Well One thing I see with the 6.5 CM is that a few places picked it up in a low cost bulk type ammo .

I picked up some SB soft point stuff just for shoot steel pigs etc at less than 60 cents per round far cry from 260 ammo .

With bulk ammo it will only help the popularity in my opinion .

Bulk ammo again my opinion has always help the sale of a certain caliber . It allows people to shoot more for less and not have to reload .

Comment

Yeah, I noticed even CVA is producing a Scout in the caliber, and yes many others.
                            I will have to look into this. I have a CVA Hunter in 243 and its a shooter

Comment

I knew I had saved this short article i think he sums it up very well short and sweet

“Why 6.5 mm instead of .30 caliber? Put simply, they sling the long, slim, high-BC 6.5 mm bullets at respectable velocity. It duplicates or beats the .300 Win Mag’s trajectory with less recoil than a .308 Win. Compared to the 175 Sierra MK fired from a .308 Win, the 6.5 mm will have 27% less wind drift and about 10 MOA less drop at 1000 yards. Despite a 35-grain deficit in bullet mass, the 6.5 Creedmoor will retain 18% more energy and hit the target 260 fps faster.”

Comment

I think it’s here to stay for people that want decent ammo off the shelf. The hand loaders, tweakers and piddlers that insist on shooting a 6.5 of some sort will, for the most part, stay with their 6.5X47’s and such for their short actions and 6.5X284’s for long actions. However, the folks I mention above will tend to have heavier rifles and probably don’t care to hear about the recoil reduction and other somewhat negligible, alleged benefits of the creedmoor. This is all my opinion and I’ve been wrong before, just ask my wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X