Protein Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Question

I recently added some metal to the bottom of our 1,000lb All Seasons trough feeder to prevent the turkeys from eating. See the pictures on page 5 of the following thread:

Before installing these, the protein consumption had greatly reduced, which might have been due to the cottonseed and all of the rainfall (6" plus). I installed these metal pieces almost 1 month ago and the feed level was only down 12" or so. First, do you guys think these metal pieces are preventing the deer from eating or do you think we have a bad batch of protein? Normally, they go through 1,000lbs in about 4weeks at this feeder. Not sure what's going on here. Maybe it's due to all of the green forage. Just thought it was strange.

I would bet it's all the natural foliage I have seen protein consumption slow as well

Comment

Your neighbor probaly uses double down!

Comment

Could have slowed down the coon patrol for a while. Trust me they will be back with a new plan to devour 1000lbs in 4 weeks like you were expecting. Lol

Comment

I'm in Kinney County. Protein has slowed down quite a bit, cotton has slowed down a little. Great range conditions.

Comment

I'm happy to hear you guys are seeing protein consumption slow down as well. Do you guys think that the added metal on the bottom of the spout is interfering in any way?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
              I'm happy to hear you guys are seeing protein consumption slow down as well. Do you guys think that the added metal on the bottom of the spout is interfering in any way?

After looking at the pictures I don't see it causing much if any interference. Deer are tall enough for it not to bother them. It may however just give the coons a place to hang out and gorge. I'm sure they would find a way to do that anyways though.

Comment

You didn't hurt anything by adding the guards. Just coincidence that they aren't eating as much right now.

Comment

Originally posted by RRagan83 View Post
                  I would bet it's all the natural foliage I have seen protein consumption slow as well
                  x2

Comment

I would take the slow down as a good sign it shows your land in good conditions can provide for your herd and save you some money when I hear people brag about protein consumption being through the roof and the range conditions are good it makes me think maybe they should try and do some clearing of cedar or non beneficial brush, plant food plots, anything to try and improve their property so it can provide for the herd

Comment

In no way do I think that the shields are physically limiting access to your feeder. Most likely the awesome range conditions are why your consumption is down.

Comment

I appreciate all of your input.

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                          HAHA

Comment

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
                            Funny.

I think it won't bother the deer. All my feeders were still half full after a month. They are usually about to go empty about that time frame.

Comment

Working...
                            X