Does Social media help or hurt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Social media help or hurt?

Out of curiosity. In today's world, does FB, Instagram or even TBH help/hurt either the liberal or conservative movement more so in this country. I know I've learned a lot on TBH.

Awhile ago I made a comment about how social media would hurt conservatives to a friend. Imo I was wrong on the comment to a certain extent. Your thoughts GS?
    Last edited by ostey22; 04-20-2016, 06:15 PM.

Depends how you look at it.

Hurts- Cyber bullying and the internet acting as a shield for those that want to be disrespectful. Also the media/people tend to use it to push their agendas

Helps- Connecting with family friends and staying in touch with current events

Could do without it but will use it as long as its around

Edit: one more "Hurt"- Some people become absolutely addicted to social media. Seen it happen to some friends and family. Also it seems like a few on here are too to where cross posting is a must and who can be the first to break the news or post a video.

However I'm on here quite a bit myself so...
    Last edited by 150class; 04-20-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

people will always lean toward issues/subjects that interest them. Back in the day most major cities had two major newspapers. People subscribed based on "what" they wanted to hear and the slant that most fit them. Self filtering has been around since mass communication began.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        people will always lean toward issues/subjects that interest them. Back in the day most major cities had two major newspapers. People subscribed based on "what" they wanted to hear and the slant that most fit them. Self filtering has been around since mass communication began.
        That's true. The internet has just made it much easier to find garble to "support" whatever viewpoint an individual favors. I suspect it has encouraged more extremism on many counts.

It has also helped in many ways. Information sharing is not a bad thing!

Comment

As a school administrator I would say that Social media should be kept away from kids and idiots. We have so many issues that start because social media makes it easy to run your mouth and school hallway is hard to hide in. We get a minimum of 10-15 social media complaints from both students and parents weekly.

Comment

Working...
          X