Help me find a deer rifle for my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me find a deer rifle for my wife

My wife is rand handed but shoots left. I have found it to be very difficult if not impossible to find a compact left hand rifle. I would like the gun to be light, under 20 inch barrel and under $400 for the gun as I want to invest in some decent optics but want it to stay a budget gun in case she isn't too into it.

She used my AR last year, which she thought was a little heavy. What options for deer/pigs do I have in a 10.5 inch barrel maybe in 6.5 Grandal? Or other caliber?

Savadge has the xp hunter? In 7mm-08 with a 20 inch barrel that may work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of a short AR, just want a caliber that will be sufficient if a less that desirable shot occurs.

12" 6.5 grendel would have my vote.

Comment

I think ruger has a compact model as well. The 7mm-08 is a great choice, but I would personally pick the 6.5CM over it.

Since you said a SBR is desirable I would go with the short 6.5G or the 6.8.

Comment

Ruger does not have the compact in left hand unfortunately.

Comment

Grendel for sure !

Comment

Anyone care to put together a budget gun with links? This seems pretty low budget considering I can get a lower and free ffl.

Comment

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Started shooting left handed as a kid and still shoot left handed. That being said, I have never owned a left handed rifle. I have always just used right-handed bolt guns and never had a problem. It's just want I'm used to.

Comment

What you are looking for is a unicorn. I feel your pain, my wife is left handed.

I would do a 6.8spcII over the Grendel for a short barrel AR. But a short barrel AR is going to be tough on your budget, unless you already have the lower.

You could always pick up a ruger American or savage axis for cheap, and chop the stock and barrel. If she likes it, you can upgrade to a Boyd’s stock down the road. Could end up with a unique, semi custom rifle... without breaking the bank.

Ended up getting my wife a TC encore pro hunter in .308. I really like that we can both shoot it comfortably. And since she usually hunts with me, we only have to bring 1 rifle to the stand. Only drawback is that it’s a single shot... but I kinda like it, reminds me of shooting my old single shot 20ga when I was a kid.
                Last edited by lungbuster1985; 07-22-2019, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
                  Anyone care to put together a budget gun with links? This seems pretty low budget considering I can get a lower and free ffl.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449010.html
                  This would get you there, but QC and accuracy can be very hit and miss with PSA. You might get lucky and end up with a tack driver, or it could be dinner plate groups at 50yds.

Comment

Already threaded, so you can add a brake if the recoil is too much. But that shouldn’t be an issue with the CM, unless she is super recoil sensitive. Chop down the stock a little, slip on a recoil pad, and bam. Let her pick out a Boyd’s laminate later on, if she likes it. My RAP shoots lights out, and there are many others on here with the same experience.

Comment

I too have the predator in 6.5 creedmoor and I love the gun.

Comment

Take a look at the Weatherby Camilla. Made specifically for women's bodies.
                        Comes in four great calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                          Take a look at the Weatherby Camilla. Made specifically for women's bodies.
                          Comes in four great calibers.
                          http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-camilla.html
                          Beautiful gun. Just a tad bit out of price range for this entry gun. That would be a great second gun if she takes to hunting like I hope she will

Comment

Savage makes just what you need. I just bought a 7-08 from buds that has different inserts to adjust the length of pull and what not. It is a lefty. I bought a 110 not an axis. It was on sale and under $400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X