Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
Bowhuntr64
Spike

Default Single Bevel vs Double Bevel test vid

Just did a bit of testing of a single bevel vs a double bevel. Check it out.
https://youtu.be/BGxWyCQ1lWM
Bowhuntr64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
cram369
Four Point

Interesting video. Pretty pricey broadhead

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
cram369 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
tradtiger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

Good video. Backs what I believe, as well, as a Tuffhead single bevel user.
tradtiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

The first test was a wash and the second was compromised due to him shooting different places on the scapula.
I have looked at several "tests" like this as well as buying and using some expensive single bevel heads and honestly I don't buy into the hype.
And numbers will back it up. Thousands more deer, pigs, bear and elk are killed every year with double edged blade and even mechanical heads than single blades.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
The first test was a wash and the second was compromised due to him shooting different places on the scapula.
I have looked at several "tests" like this as well as buying and using some expensive single bevel heads and honestly I don't buy into the hype.
And numbers will back it up. Thousands more deer, pigs, bear and elk are killed every year with double edged blade and even mechanical heads than single blades.

Gary
While the test through the boards resulted in equal penetration, it did show the single bevels continued to rotate while the doubles didn't. In the scapula test, different areas were shot but the single bevels were 2-0 vs doubles on size of the hole.

Your right, more animals are killed with double bevels than singles by an enormous factor. Single bevels are designed to bust bone, something that every bow hunter tries to avoid. Look at the research done on cape buffalo where the possibility of hitting a rib bone is extremely high, it supports the advantage of singles.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
twdjr
Ten Point

Nice video, thanks for sharing!
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

Awesome video. Thanks for posting. Curious, on what type/size game would this become a factor. Personally, I am not doubting the results, just curious if a regular Texas size whitetail bone would stop a double bevel blade? Obviously, there are many variables but on a shot with decent placement coming of off a bow with 70 lbs draw.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
quackadikt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

IMO, unless you're shooting a stick bow or REALLY big animals, I just don't see the need for single bevels. They definitely do what they are designed to do though...no way to question that. I just think if you're shooting at least a 450gr arrow and take reasonable shots, you're going to get through most animals in NA inside 40-50 yards.
quackadikt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 01:57 AM   #9
Bowhuntr64
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post

Gary

Naw. Nothing was compromised. You didnít examine the scapula and its thickness like I did. Two shots of each showed the same results. Any broadhead will kill. But some do breach big bone better than others. Iím sure more Cape Buffalo are killed with single bevels than double bevels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
Naw. Nothing was compromised. You didnít examine the scapula and its thickness like I did. Two shots of each showed the same results. Any broadhead will kill. But some do breach big bone better than others. Iím sure more Cape Buffalo are killed with single bevels than double bevels.

I've killed deer, pigs, elk and exotics and processed hundreds of my own animals to know what the different places on a scapula are.
And yes, for a specialized hunt like Cape Buffalo I'd say it may be an advantage I'd want. However for the average animal by the average hunter it's like putting a Swarovski scope on your 10/22 for squirrel hunting. Works fine not something the average income person needs to invest in to be lethal on average game.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
Bowhuntr64
Spike

Okay. Thanks for sharing