When is good, good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is good, good enough?

I’m curious about your opinions on when an arrow is as optimized as it needs to be/can get for a heavy poundage bow with a long draw. This setup is a season long Montana archery elk setup, but I also hunt lighter deer, antelope, and black bear with it. I’m shooting a Hoyt Rx1-ultra at 82.5lbs and 31.5” draw length, my arrow is a Black Eagle Spartan 200 spine 32 1/2”. As it sits my arrow setup weighs 540gr +/- a couple of gr for broadhead inconsistency. At this time I’m shooting 100gr iron wills for my fixed blade and 100 gr rage trypans for my mech. My question to you is, if my setup is tuned up and shooting great with 100gr broadheads, and I can’t get it to paper tune or group 125 gr heads near as well, is it worth the work and adjustments it would take to get the heavier heads to fly for just the extra 25gr up front. Is my arrow maxed out at a 100gr head without twisting cables and adjusting cams and all that. I’ve never had a problem with penetration, and my speed is 297-299, so is 25 gr heavier in your opinion worth it, or would you think that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it? I’m probably at the point of diminished returns going up in arrow weight because I’m getting pass through shots on heavy bone if I decide to high shoulder shoot something. But if 540gr is good, wouldn’t 565gr be better? If you have any thoughts on when enough is enough please let me know. By the way, it’s the off season and podcasts are making my brain go into overdrive thinking about what if’s.

Thank you,

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

540 grains at 297FPS is awesome. Im right at 500grains but probably ~40 FPS slower. Interested to see what the gurus say

Comment

In my opinion, your setup is pretty fast for shooting 540 grains. If you are getting consistent flight and penetration with it, i would leave it be.

My setup is shooting 307 fps at 436 grains and has blown through everything i shot at.

Comment

540 going that fast is going to be perfect for anything, especially with your broadhead choices. In my opinion anything under 50 grains isn’t enough to mess with, not like your going to notice that 25 gr difference when it’s blowing through whatever you shoot at; your getting good flight with what you got then stick with it and kill some stuff

Comment

I’ve done it, went with 125 gr. Over 100 gr. Didn’t notice any differance what so ever. On a chrono I loose 4fps for very 25 gr. So I added an additional 25-50 grains of fact weights behind my inserts. Not sure why I started messing with it, I get pass throughs about 95% of the time with the lightest. And still get about 95% pass throughs with the heaviest. It’s fun to mess around with, but with 80 lbs. you should not have any problems with your current set up. I would not mess with it, unless your just into trying things, like me. I will probably be going back to the lighter setup, just because I loose less money every time I loose an arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
            540 going that fast is going to be perfect for anything, especially with your broadhead choices. In my opinion anything under 50 grains isn’t enough to mess with, not like your going to notice that 25 gr difference when it’s blowing through whatever you shoot at; your getting good flight with what you got then stick with it and kill some stuff

Well said x 2

Comment

I’m a FOC builder. So for me I would go with the 125. But I also dynamic tune. And if the 100 is flying and grouping better I would not change at all. Plus at that weight and speed. Not much stopping it.

Comment

Working...
              X