Drew length vs weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew length vs weight

I took my sons bow in today and we had to lengthen his draw 2”. What effect will this have on the draw weight. I forgot to check after the adjustment.

Thanks
    Last edited by 98ag; 12-10-2018, 06:45 PM.

Draw length and weight are 2 seperate things. Your weight is adjusted at the limb bolts. What will change is arrow speed (FPS), possibility of change in arrow spine and arrow length

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does a longer draw length give a faster arrow? Assuming the weight is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ag View Post
        Yes.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Yes you would be faster. For eample with my setup, adding 2in of draw length would speed me up 20fps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

yep.

Comment

I took my sons bow in today and we had to lengthen his draw 2”. What effect will this have on the draw weight. I forgot to check after the adjustment.

Thanks
                Depends on the bow; what model is he shooting?

Most "grow-with-you" bows will have a draw weight dependent on the draw length.

For example, the Hoyt Klash has a draw length range from 18 to 29 inches and a weight range from 18 to 70 pounds.

In the draw length of 23 inches though it will be a minimum of 32 pounds and maximum of 60 pounds. So, each draw length has a given range of draw weight.

By adding 2 inches to your son's draw length may very well have changed the draw weight, but probably not by much; maybe 4 to 5 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  Depends on the bow; what model is he shooting?

Most "grow-with-you" bows will have a draw weight dependent on the draw length.

For example, the Hoyt Klash has a draw length range from 18 to 29 inches and a weight range from 18 to 70 pounds.

In the draw length of 23 inches though it will be a minimum of 32 pounds and maximum of 60 pounds. So, each draw length has a given range of draw weight.

By adding 2 inches to your son's draw length may very well have changed the draw weight, but probably not by much; maybe 4 to 5 pounds.

Same goes for the mission craze and menace

Comment

Yes, this is due to having a longer power stroke.

Let's say your son's bow has a 6 inch brace height and he is shooting a 20 inch draw length; that is a 14 inch power stroke. Now we make it 22 inches and he has a 16 inch power stroke. If all else remains the same, a longer power stroke will yield a faster arrow.

Comment

Typical gains are 10fps per inch of draw and 2fps per pound of draw. So all being equal the 2” should have gained around 20 FPS

Comment

Very helpful info. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X