Should I cut the clover or wait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I cut the clover or wait?

The clover plot I planted in the fall is up up to my knee in the highest parts. I fertilized about 3 wks ago. Cut it down to 6-8" or let it keep going? It's out-competing the weeds for the most part. Red and white clover mix. North Tx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
    The clover plot I planted in the fall is up up to my knee in the highest parts. I fertilized about 3 wks ago. Cut it down to 6-8" or let it keep going? It's out-competing the weeds for the most part. Red and white clover mix. North Tx.

Comment

Beautiful field. IMO no real need to cut especially if not having weed problems. Just keep in mind that you don't want to cut it in late April -early June as it could easily have fawns and turkey nests in it. The crimson will go ahead and seed out becoming available for next yr. and thats a good thing too.

Comment

Beautiful and looks like your deer are loving it. I’d leave it alone like legato said.

Comment

Don’t see any seed heads so looks like the deer are mowing it for you.

Comment

I agree. I wouldn't cut it either. Awesome plot!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will hold off. No turkey in my area and its small enough I can walk any fawns out before I cut.

I'm on the tractor now prepping a larger spring plot. Was going to fert and plant today but might wait until next week since no rain in the forecast.

Comment

looks great, good job .... and you have visitors!

Comment

Two thumbs up on that clover plot! Beautiful!
                  I'm with everyone else....don't cut it.

Comment

Great job on the plot!

Comment

Thanks, hopefully we'll get some decent rain for the clover to make it through the summer and beat the weeds.

My boy had a 1/2 day of school yesterday so we got out and planted a spring mix of soybeans, ic peas, sunflower, sorghum, millet to try it out.

Comment

I am so jealous! I wish I could get a food plot to grow like that.

Comment

I wish I could rock a hat like that ! Get it youngster !

Comment

I held off on cutting the clover plots before and it's ~3.5 ft tall and getting a woody stem.

I cut the smaller clover plots down since they had more weeds and will compare growth and hope to eliminate some weeds w/o spraying.

Spring mix is coming up.

Comment

If I thought I could catch a rain, I think I would mow it now. Probably getting pretty tough, but there's not much of a chance of rain for several days. I'm always scared to mow if there's a chance of heat and no rain. Looks like your mix is coming in pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X