1ac food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1ac food plot

Call me crazy but can I get clover and daikon radish’s in the ground with a spike seeder pulled behind a lawn tractor, the field is prepared and has good thatch
    Want daikon or cultivating radish’s and some other cover like clover
    This is for deer watching not hunting in one acre

I’ll play, not sure if a spike seeder drops the seed on top of the ground or buries it a certain depth but I typically don’t plant clover in the spring and have only planted daikon radish once and again it was in the fall. It was one of those species that grew great but my deer in north Texas never touched it. My thinking was I am not going to waste my money and time hoping that my deer learn to eat it. I believe clover also does best with good soil contact so the thatch may also come into play. If it was me I would probably wait until the fall, clean up the field as best as I could and probably split the field in half with clover on one side and the radish on the other. Broadcast the clover right before a rain, run a packer over it if you have one and see how your deer respond, good luck.

Comment

In the South, clover does better planted in the fall. It needs to get its roots down before hot weather. If you can get the clover seed in contact with the dirt with no grass or weed competition, it's a good crop. White perennial clovers can last five years or more with maintenence.

Comment

Our fall red top clover crop is now awesome
        But I am not seeing the use I expect
        We are trimming it and will watch this summer.

BP

Comment

Working...
        X