Alaska Bear Defense Pistol Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska Bear Defense Pistol Help

Going to Alaska to go fishing and hiking on the Kenai River in June! Last year saw bears everywhere, way to close for my level of comfort. Girlfriends father who lives there, was hiking in September and accidentally walked between a sow and her cubs. Luckily he got away unharmed thanks to his dog, who also made it out unharmed. So I plan on carrying bear spray and a pistol this year. My choices are use my Ruger GP100 .357mag 6" with 6 rounds or buy a Glock 20/40. The Glock 20 & 40 are both 10mm Auto, difference is the 20 has a 4.5" barrel and the 40 has a 6" barrel, same 15+1 capacity. All input is welcome just looking for anyone willing to share their experience on what they have done for brown/black bear protection in the past? Also what style holster did yall use?

Thanks

Me personally, 357 with Corbons or the like.

Comment

I had a Tanfoglio Witness 10P that I absolutley loved. I know it's not a glock, but I could have bought glock but I honestly liked the 10P better. It was a polymer frame double/single action and was 100% reliable from the get-go with every ammo brand and weight I tried in it. I even shot it out to 100 yards and was very confident I could easily get minute of bad guy accuracy with no rest. I repeatedly hammered a 16" stump from that distance. I was amazed at how little drop the bullet had at 100 yards.

I truly regret selling that piece. I was never afraid of jack when I was in these Colorado woods with it strapped on.

Comment

Be loud going in and out. Hey bear, hey bear! They usually will move away. Just don't run if they come at you.

Comment

Consider adding bear spray to your arsenal

Comment

6 inch .357 will do it. If you just wanted a new gun, I'd opt for the longer barrel Glock longer sight radius and slightly higher velocity.

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingedge View Post
              I had a Tanfoglio Witness 10P that I absolutley loved. I know it's not a glock, but I could have bought glock but I honestly liked the 10P better. It was a polymer frame double/single action and was 100% reliable from the get-go with every ammo brand and weight I tried in it. I even shot it out to 100 yards and was very confident I could easily get minute of bad guy accuracy with no rest. I repeatedly hammered a 16" stump from that distance. I was amazed at how little drop the bullet had at 100 yards.

I truly regret selling that piece. I was never afraid of jack when I was in these Colorado woods with it strapped on.

While looking for 10mm pistols I came across the Witness and it is a potential buyer for me just need to put my hands on it first. Thank you for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                Consider adding bear spray to your arsenal
                Yes sir I plan to have both, spray and pistol . I'd rather both of us suffer at the hands of the spray and go our separate ways peacefully. At the same time I have a family to protect and get back to so if its too close or the spray is ineffective, prematurely discharged or with someone else I want a back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                  Be loud going in and out. Hey bear, hey bear! They usually will move away. Just don't run if they come at you.
                  Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind.

Comment

The Glock will most likely be able to deliver more reliable hits on the target.

If you deploy the spray you should be aware of the wind and have a couple of small cartons of that non refrigerated milk to wash your eyes out with.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                      6 inch .357 will do it. If you just wanted a new gun, I'd opt for the longer barrel Glock longer sight radius and slightly higher velocity.
                      Hey Softpoint thanks for the input. I tend to over think a lot when it comes to picking the right gun for the task at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                        The Glock will most likely be able to deliver more reliable hits on the target.

If you deploy the spray you should be aware of the wind and have a couple of small cartons of that non refrigerated milk to wash your eyes out with.
                        Thanks Johnny44. Great thinking on the milk. I wonder if the to go baby formula would work also since we will have some with us already

Comment

Try it tomorrow and let us know

Comment

Of those 2 choices it would be the Glock stoked full of Underwood 220 grain hardcast loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’d just take someone that couldn’t run as fast as me. Problem solved

Comment

Working...
                              X