Menard/Mason/Brady 2019-2020 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
    We set up a new spot on our lease in Fort McKavitt on opening weekend. Just an 8' mono pod in a small oak mott where a couple trails come together. No feeder, just hand corn. My 15yo son Camden was the first to make a sit this past Saturday. He had about a dozen small bucks, does and fawns filter thru before he shot a doe at 15 yards around 4pm. He watched her crash after a 30 yard run. He text me and let me know and I told him to keep on hunting. At 4:30 he had a fox pop up and he was able to mouth squeak him in and took a 30 yard shot and watched the fox drop in it's tracks. At 5:10 I get a text with several pics of a "good buck". The deer looked mature and fell within the rules of our management plan so I gave him the green light to shoot if the deer was one he wanted. He took the shot at 20 yards and felt good about the location. After shooting light was over I went to help him track. Half the arrow was broken off at the site of the shot. It was covered in blood so I felt good that he had done his part. We picked up a sparse blood trail for 40-50 yards then found the remainder of the arrow. It was at this point that my buddy Timm (2050z) showed up to help track. It wasn't much of a track after the arrow came out. He opened up and bled buckets for the next 40 yards and we found him behind a big pile of cactus. He made a slightly quartering heart shot. This young man is becoming one heck of an archer. This is his 3rd and 4th deer on the season. Now it's time to get his older brother Mason on a good buck.This buck fooled me a bit on age. I figured 5 or 6 but his teeth showed 4. He weighed 150lbs and taped out at 123 & 2/8ths.
    Man, that is heck of a sit and a nice buck. Congrats to your son.

Comment

Bucks are beginning to rut across most of the county. 19 degrees here this morning, clear and calm.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Thanks fellas, he has been a joy to teach. Sunday Mason and I sat about 100 yards apart and both had our #1 target buck in with no shot for either of us. Mason was sitting in a tripod over hand corn(that he shot a big axis out of on the bow opener) and as the morning started to lighten up he noticed the deer feeding at 15 yards had wide horns. His next text was 'It's Bigboy!' I gave him the green light to shoot without pics. After a full 30 minutes of waiting I get a text saying he was facing him the whole time so no shot and that he was headed my way. That dumped the adrenaline in my veins and I got myself ready. A few minutes later he makes his way thru the brush and feeds around the west side of the feeder. He fed for a few minutes but never made it to my hand corn in my shooting lane. If I would have been in my ground blind south of the feeder, the story of Bigboy would be over. He headed south when he left but about 20 minutes later Mason text that he was back at his spot. he paused for a sec then headed on to wherever he beds. A new deer has shown up as well that has our interest piqued. Can't wait until we get to go again the week of thanksgiving. Bigboy is the one with the kickers.Also a pic of Mason (16) with his bow opener axis.
        I know i'm a good bit west of most of y'all but very little evidence of rut in our neck of the woods yet. Traditionally, it blows up this coming week and the week of Thanksgiving for us.
        Attached Files

Comment

Dang nice deer!

Comment

Good luck catching up with him.

Comment

How is the rut activity around Mason. North of the county.

Comment

We are headed west for our first sits of the year at our new property north of Brady. Hopefully have some LDPs to share soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                  We are headed west for our first sits of the year at our new property north of Brady. Hopefully have some LDPs to share soon!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Rut is on. Deer in lock down mode on our ranch NW of Mason. Have to hope to catch them between doe

Comment

Mason county buck age and score?

Need help or professional opinion on age and size of this buck. I’m in Mason County, this buck is biggest we’ve seen on cam on our 150 acre low fence. He seems young to me but biggest horns we’ve ever seen here on this property. Been after him since bow opener but haven’t seen him in person yet. He’s got double droptines, definitely a first for us to ever see something like this
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbuck View Post
                        Need help or professional opinion on age and size of this buck. I’m in Mason County, this buck is biggest we’ve seen on cam on our 150 acre low fence. He seems young to me but biggest horns we’ve ever seen here on this property. Been after him since bow opener but haven’t seen him in person yet. He’s got double droptines, definitely a first for us to ever see something like this
                        What a stud. He is old.. Far from young..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          What a stud. He is old.. Far from young..
                          Agreed!

Beautiful hide on that deer. Good luck!

Comment

My best buck! Got it at our lease in London tx.

Comment

He's a nice buck. Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post

My best buck! Got it at our lease in London tx.

Congratulations again Tony. He’s a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X