Hunting in the Freer Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an opportunity to get on a lease near Freer. The only time i have hunted that area we had an illegal try and get into the camp house with us in it back in the late 70’s. Since this place does not have a camp house I would be staying in my travel trailer. I would also have a side by side there. If you hunt in the Freer area, is there problems with leaving stuff like that there during the season? What other information should I know before I make the decision?

I hunted exotics in that area back in 2008. I stayed on a piece of property that had two houses on it. One was for the caretaker and the other was for hunters. I was forwarned to keep my camp house doors locked at night as well as my vehicle as there were serious issues with illegals passing through the property. Needless to say I heeded the warning and kept all door locked and slept with heat by bedside.

I would suspect that the problem is the same or worse 11 years later. I would be afraid to leave anything unattended it that part of of Texas for fear of break end, damage or theft. JM2C

Comment

I hunted exotics in that area back in 2008. I stayed on a piece of property that had two houses on it. One was for the caretaker and the other was for hunters. I was forwarned to keep my camp house doors locked at night as well as my vehicle as there were serious issues with illegals passing through the property. Needless to say I heeded the warning and kept all door locked and slept with heat by bedside.

I would suspect that the problem is the same or worse 11 years later. I would be afraid to leave anything unattended it that part of of Texas for fear of break end, damage or theft. JM2C

Comment

Thanks

Comment

leave you trailer unlocked - otherwise they will break windows to get in. Leave bottled water outside the trailer for them to take. Would NOT leave my side by side unless it is heavily secured - heavy chain.

there are tons of hunters in the Freer area who get by despite the traffic - just be aware of your surroundings at all times - 99.9% of them will never bother you or come around when they know there are hunters around

Comment

Depends where at around freer?

East?

Comment

Ive hunted east and southwest of Freer. The place east of freer was about 18 miles and just of HWY59. Illegals would stay in our stands that were close to the highway. The other place was near san pablo on FM2005. It was a daily thing to see traffic and always had them on our game cameras. Never had issues with our camp stuff.

Comment

I haven’t been there yet. Going next weekend. Im on a lease outside Sonora now. We don't know how bad the anthrax got us yet. This opportunity came up this week.

Comment

Hunted south of freer a few years and got sick of the constant trash and border patrol traffic real quick..... we had a big tank with windmill that was a stopping point for illegals. Slept with one eye open since we couldn’t hear anything with the generator running outside our camper lol

Pretty country tho and some nice deer

Comment

Funny story;
                    My father inlaw was new to our lease in freer so I gave him all the contact numbers for the BP and sherriff office. One morning during the rut my phone starts blowing up with calls from him. Hesitant to answer but knew something was wrong I answered “hey you have BP number”? When he got into his stand he was getting his video camera out of the bag when he looked up and a lady was standing in front of his blind! Scared the hell out of him. Then 15 more people walked out of the brush. Couple of pregnant ladies as well. They asked which way to hwy 16. He pointed east. Then they asked if he would take them. He told them no but asked if he could he get a picture of them because nobody would believe his story. Needless to say he got a picture of them. This story comes up often around family gatherings

Comment

IMO I would proceed carefully - may be a good reason the spot is open - would think there are other spots open without these issues

Comment

Yes there are illegals. Pretty much all over South Texas. It's South Texas. Most the time they just move on through with no contact. Just do like they say. Dont leave your keys or fire arms in a vehicle unattended, leave some water and a couple cans of food at camp so they don't tear your camper up and never give them a ride anywhere.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I hunted south west of Freer just inside Webb county for a couple years. Never had any problems. I knew they were in the area but never saw any. I would definitely not leave a side by side out though.

Comment

Hunted off of 44 on the DCR for 4 years. Our pasture was next to the baseball field if you know the area--corner of 44 and 59. Saw two in those 4 years. Big Mike M has been down in that same area for a long time. He can give you some insight.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                              X