No announcement yet.

anthrax updates for Sutton and valverde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've seen less than a dozen deer total on cameras during the past month and the only way were seeing deer while at the ranch is corning the roads. I estimate we have 10% of the original herd remaining or just a few new arrivals from other areas.

Comment

According to my game cam, we got a good bit of rain. Shahan ranch/ Alamo village off of 674 north of brackettville. Still have only seen one WT doe on cam, lease partners who have been hunting this lease for years say it’s because it’s really green and the deer don’t have to come to the feeders. I hope they’re right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mhunter6 View Post
        Forgive me if I missed it being mention as I tried to scan entire thread before i posted. Has any places near 41 and 336 in REAL CO. been affected? I realize it is just outside the triangle but its so close it got me curious.
        I’ve been following closely as I hunt the Edwards/Real County area and where you described has not been mentioned, nor anywhere too close for that matter.

Comment

Ive had acorns falling around the house for about 3 weeks now south of Houston. Most of them arent full size yet but they are raining down. I wonder if the drought is causing the trees to drop acorns prematurely and that's where the deer are

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
            I’ve been following closely as I hunt the Edwards/Real County area and where you described has not been mentioned, nor anywhere too close for that matter.
            I’m just inside of Edwards Co. off of Hwy41/CR230. It appears my place has been spared for the most part. I’ll be out there tomorrow and check my cameras. I’ll keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Doublelunger View Post
              Ive had acorns falling around the house for about 3 weeks now south of Houston. Most of them arent full size yet but they are raining down. I wonder if the drought is causing the trees to drop acorns prematurely and that's where the deer are
              All the pecan trees on my street in houston are doing the samething. The stress makes them drop early.
              The acorns I saw at our place were tiny, maybe the size of the tip of your pinky finger. BUT the swamp chestnut oaks had decent size - of course these are along the creeks so they have constant water to draw from.

Comment

Checked my SD cards today and from 6/15-8/11 here's the report

Cam 1: back of ranch, 4 different bucks and a few does and fawns up until 6/25, then disappeared. Only activity from 6/25 on was pigs and coons daily. No deer or exotics after

Cam 2: 6/15-8/11, front of ranch, ZERO whitetail on any pic, 1 turkey 7/5, only activity pigs and coons daily.

Total pics count: 3869

This really SUCKS! Both sets usually yield 10-12 whitetail daily, Herd of Aoudad every 10-15days and occasional exotic (Axis, Fallow, etc)

I know our hopes are high but the proof is in the pics...

Guess we're playing the hand we've been dealt....

Comment

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
                  Checked my SD cards today and from 6/15-8/11 here's the report

Cam 1: back of ranch, 4 different bucks and a few does and fawns up until 6/25, then disappeared. Only activity from 6/25 on was pigs and coons daily. No deer or exotics after

Cam 2: 6/15-8/11, front of ranch, ZERO whitetail on any pic, 1 turkey 7/5, only activity pigs and coons daily.

Total pics count: 3869

This really SUCKS! Both sets usually yield 10-12 whitetail daily, Herd of Aoudad every 10-15days and occasional exotic (Axis, Fallow, etc)

I know our hopes are high but the proof is in the pics...

Guess we're playing the hand we've been dealt....

Where are you located again? Too lazy to scroll back thru

Comment

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
                    Where are you located again? Too lazy to scroll back thru

Hopefully for your sake he’s not too lazy to answer.

Comment

I had zero animals this morning on the cell cam. I went from 15-20 deer and 20 plus aoudad 2 months ago every morning and evening to now hardly anything. If the pictures are telling the story we are wiped out. Never seen anything like it in many years hunting this property.

Comment

Our update...

20k plus acres...
                        Some guys who usually see 30plus deer a sit have a total of 3 deer in their pasture (cameras on water and every feeder)
                        Some guys pastures are a ghost town some still have decent life.

I personally seem to be in better shape than most. Saw a big decline in trail cam pics July 22-26, everyone else saying same thing. It’s like we lost thousand plus deer in a three day span. My regular big boy was on camera pretty much every day last three years and vanished July 26. Been waiting long time to hunt what would have been my biggest Texas buck ever.

Bought a texting camera and it’s working well, most my deer are nocturnal but I did get a pic of 7 deer at once last night which felt good.
                        Ranch went from never seeing anything over 8 points or 120” in 99 when the owner bought the place to us letting trophies get to 6 plus killing lots of 150s, few 160s and a 170s. Years and years of hard work and money gone in a blink of the eye. We won’t know how bad it is Until the Fall but right now it’s most depressing thing I’ve ever been apart of.
                        Last edited by James; 08-20-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Sounds like you guys will have one hell of a Dead Head Season, in for pics

Comment

We might be in luck. Looks like next week around starting Thursday the temps will drop and the nights look to be around 68 degrees that would help big time!

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                              Any Valverde reports from down 1024 out of Comstock?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              My guys saw a bunch of deer on 1024 last weekend. They said the most they have ever seen.

Comment

Anybody have any updates from NE Brackettville around Tularosa Rd? Me and my son leased a small piece of property and I haven’t had time to go check it out since reading about this anthrax outbreak. Gettin kinda nervous now about how our 1st yr out there may not be to good.

Comment

Working...
                                X