What did I do to my wagyu??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did I do to my wagyu??

Ok let’s start by saying that I was skeptical from the beginning about this. We were walking the Tomball farmers and saw a tent selling wagyu beef. So needless to say I stopped by and bought 2 large bone in ribeyes. They were vacuum sealed and once I got them home and opens the package I got excited. The marbling and the color was great. The steaks felt super tender. When you bent the meat you could see the fibers separating. I felt like I could cut the raw steak with a fork.

I fired up the pit. Got it all set up like I typically do. Direct heat, as hot as I can get it. I cook my steaks about 5-7min per side and then move them to indirect until done the way I like. I have it down to a science and can consistently achieve medium rare steaks this way.

I put in the wagyu steaks and 2min into it the pit was flaming up like crazy! I had to move the steaks to indirect and finish the cook like that. Fire kept flaming up like crazy anytime the stakes were put on it.

I took the steaks off and let them set. Warm pink center. Plenty of clear juice. I cut into the steak and they had a similar consistency to sirloin. They were tougher than I was used to with standard ribeyes that I typically get. I was expecting them to be more tender.

So I think one of two things happened.........

Either I cooked them too hot and all the fat in the meat cooked out making for a tough steak

Or...........

I got ripped off by some goober at the farmers market.

What do you guys think???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t cook a ton of wagyu, I usually buy it at heb every couple months. I pick the steaks with the most marbling and haven’t had an issue. I do indirect heat and finish over the coals for a sear. I cooked one for my father in law for Father’s Day medium well, and sampled it, it was still fork tender and juicy. I’m not sure you can screw it up. Lol

Comment

I'm pretty sure you got ripped. Same happened to me and I didnt like the taste or consistency. I will stay with ol tried and true steaks.

Comment

Kansas City Steak

Comment

My wife and I eat char rare. Catches on fire more char. 1 minute per side on a thick steak. I know sounds gross. I also don't cook until room temp.

Comment

If it aInT wAYgU iT aInT sTeAk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
              Kansas City Steak
              Yup

Comment

I have to say, I don't know how in the world you guys cook with a raging HOT fire. I do steaks with as small a fire as possible. And I only put the steaks on a wood fire after there's ONLY charcoals left. And for me 5-7 minutes per side is a burnt steak!

Now since I started cooking steaks on a griddle, I do crank up the heat a bit and let the griddle get very hot before dropping the steaks on. A little butter and throw them on the griddle for 3 minutes a side (for everyone but mine, I don't flip mine. 3 minutes is plenty and on one side for mine).

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                  Kansas City Steak

What do you mean by this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    I have to say, I don't know how in the world you guys cook with a raging HOT fire. I do steaks with as small a fire as possible. And I only put the steaks on a wood fire after there's ONLY charcoals left. And for me 5-7 minutes per side is a burnt steak!

Now since I started cooking steaks on a griddle, I do crank up the heat a bit and let the griddle get very hot before dropping the steaks on. A little butter and throw them on the griddle for 3 minutes a side (for everyone but mine, I don't flip mine. 3 minutes is plenty and on one side for mine).
                    I do mine on the Egg at 500 degrees - 70 seconds per side............

Comment

Probably longhorn steaks

Comment

I don’t cook a steak for 5 minutes TOTAL, much less per side....

Comment

I had some 2 inch prime ribeye tonight, you are not cooking them 70 seconds per side unless you want raw steak. I cooked them 4 min per side over a very hot fire, then I moved them over indirect heat for 15 minutes, resulted in a perfectly cooked medium rare steak. To the OP, I think you got taken.

Comment

I’ve looked at a lot of farmers market steaks and I’ve never bought any. They’re expensive, which I would expect for good steaks, and never look as good as I can get at the big HEB stores. Haven’t seen a wagyu booth at the tomball market but its been a few months since we’ve been.

As for the side conversation, my wife prefers thick filet so it goes on first 2.5 minutes each side then move to indirect. I’m a strip or riibeye guy. Once I move her’s to indirect I might give it 2-3 more min before I put mine on. 2.5 min on each side for mine and both come off at the same time to rest. That usually gets them both somewhere between rare and med-rare depending on thickness.

Comment

Flea Market Wagyu?

Comment

Working...
                              X