Smoking salmon help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McClain View Post
    Was it wild (Pacific) or farm raised (Atlantic) salmon? That might make some difference.
    Yep, Pacific salmon only here at our house.

Comment

Well, what do they say - if given lemons, make lemonade? In this case, you make squaw candy (i.e, fish jerky). Some good stuff there!

Comment

This is a pretty good resource for info on curing fish prior to smoking.

Curing does not just preserve the fish, but it also contributes to a firmer texture, shiny skin gloss and a nicer smoked color.

I have used brines and dry cures with fish and have had great luck with both. I tend to leave them in the cure longer than they recommend and I don't see any negative effects. I cure my fish and then cold smoke it. You can do this with a variety of fish including salmon. I cure and smoke redfish frequently to make fish dip and it's really good for that. I usually use a salt, brown sugar and spices cure on skinless redfish fillets and let them sit in the fridge overnight to 24 hours.

Be sure after you pull them out of whatever cure you use that you wash the fillets very well, pat them dry and then put them on wire racks in the fridge for an hour or two until the pellicle forms. Smoke with good clean smoke. If it's bellowing white smoke you will end up with bitter flavors. You want good clear smoke. I prefer to cold smoke my fish.

These are some skin on redfish fillets I cured and smoked.

Comment

Here's a recipe Pistol gave me from her friend. I haven't tried it yet, but Pistol said it is the best she's ever had and could eat it every night.

On the brine it depends on how much salmon you are using. I usually smoke about five or 6 pounds and mix up a quart of water a cup of salt, a cup of white sugar, and then I add a couple of branches of rosemary, 1 T black peppercorns whole, one onion sliced, four bay leaves, and some cloves of garlic. In the past I've also put in half an orange rind...Any aromatics you want to add are fine. That's just what I use. I will leave it in the brine 4-12 hours.

I smoke it for two hours at 125° then at 145 Degrees for two hours and finally at 165 for 2 hours. Of course this is with an electric smoker.

(I'll bet you could do 145 for all 6 hours. my comment)

Baste it often.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
            My wife loves baking salmon in the oven. I thought I would be nice and smoke some on our pellet Grill. Needless to say it came out entirely too dry. I did a dry brine overnight and cooked at about 165° for two hours and finished it off with 10 minutes At 300°. The internal temperature came up to about 155°.

A bunch of YouTube recipes said to get the temperature up to 160° but if I had kept going it would’ve been entirely too dry. She likes hers moist. It tasted fine to me when I ate it on a cracker with cream cheese and jalapeño but it wasn’t meant to be an hors d’oeuvre. Is there a way to smoke the salmon and keep it moist? I am going to Alaska in July and hope to have a lot of salmon when I come back.
            Cold-smoked salmon recipe starts with a tablespoon per pound of fish of Morton Tender Quick over the fillet surface. Then more salt and spices for a dry cure. I put 1/8" to 1/4" of Kosher salt over the entire fillet for 24 hours then desalinate in cold fresh water for one hour. Then overnight for the pellicle and then 2-3 hours in a 50-70 degree smoker with a fruit wood. I'm looking to get a firmer texture for the finished product, but have yet to place a weighted board over the fillet. I hate mushy lox, but the firmer texture I get with my process suits me. I smoke a batch every time HEB has Salmon on sale

Comment

I live on Lake Michigan. Been smoking trout and salmon since I was young. Only have one recipe because it can't be beat. The recipe is 3/4 cup of brown sugar, half cup of salt to two quarts of water. My tweak is I use a heaping 3/4 cup of brown sugar, the salt I don't fill the half cup so about a quarter inch from the top. Soak fillets in the brine for 8-10 hours for medium size fillets. Fillets must be completely submerged so I normally have to make a double batch. Then simply smoke until done. Soak smaller fillets for no more than 8 hours. For fish I would say over 10-15 pounds soak for 10-12 hours. For Fish over 15 pounds soak for 16 hours.

You can add Mrs. Dash or Cajun seasoning on the fillets after brining them if you want a little something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
                I think the way you're currently smoking it is better for snacking with cheese and crackers. This is usually a hit when we have people over.

When we are making it for dinner, the pellet grill gets set at a higher temp and we don't usually brine. Think of it more as an oven. Just my .02
                I am with you! I don’t cook it often because I can’t afford to fill my boys up on it ( it is about the only healthy thing they will chow down on) but when I do salmon I do a whole filet and brush on a mixture of soy, siracha garlic, and a little honey and cook it skin side down with the Yoder set on 325 until it flakes easily with a fork...somewhere around 25 minutes. Brush the mixture on a couple of times during cooking. My family fights over it, it is great!

Comment

Did some last week, I like it a little dry. All gone!

Comment

I have an electric smoker. My wife and daughter really like smoked salmon. I could take it or leave it. I smoked several fillets at 210 degrees for an hour and a half. I thought it was ok, not a big fan, but my wife and daughter said it was really good. It wasn’t dry, had a hint of Smokey flavor. I use a small handful of the Texas blend Traeger wood pellets. Get he smoker up to temp, add the pellets, wait for the smoke to start rollin, put the fish in the smoker and set the time for 1.5 hrs. Dun.

Comment

Greek seasoning is what I use as a "rub" when smoking salmon.

Comment

Subscribed... going to Alaska in July

Comment

Originally posted by swamper View Post
                          I live on Lake Michigan. Been smoking trout and salmon since I was young. Only have one recipe because it can't be beat. The recipe is 3/4 cup of brown sugar, half cup of salt to two quarts of water. My tweak is I use a heaping 3/4 cup of brown sugar, the salt I don't fill the half cup so about a quarter inch from the top. Soak fillets in the brine for 8-10 hours for medium size fillets. Fillets must be completely submerged so I normally have to make a double batch. Then simply smoke until done. Soak smaller fillets for no more than 8 hours. For fish I would say over 10-15 pounds soak for 10-12 hours. For Fish over 15 pounds soak for 16 hours.

You can add Mrs. Dash or Cajun seasoning on the fillets after brining them if you want a little something different.
                          And what is your smoking method?

Comment

Working...
                          X