No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about O'Gorman. His book is hard to freakin' follow.

Comment

I didn’t get to trap as much this year as I usually do
      Wasn’t a huge loss, hide prices tanked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
        You could literally write a book. James Lucero has nothing on you.
        Thanks BK I take that as a hell of a compliment sir. Did you buy James LUCERO’s book? Been thinking about getting it and was wondering if it was a good read and clear to follow.

Comment

Well this will probably be the last trap I set till this coming winter work is getting busy and I have the place looking pretty good so it’s a good time to set a “Woolly Bugger” set.

So what makes this set really effective is the deer hide and being able to stake it so Mr coyote can’t take it without a real struggle. I add a little bait or lure or both to the inside of the hide and fold it over and drive a stake through it. This does a couple of things. It totally protects your bait from being washed away and it’s pretty coon resistant. He might chew on it but that’s about it. I’ve had a hide withstand many nights of non target animals that would have wrecked a dirt hole or flat set. Now when a coyote works the set he knows immediately what that is. It’s natural and he wants to take it with him. He will grab it and try to pull it. In doing so he’s going to really be shuffling his feet. I have very few misses with this set because of that.
          Attached Files

Comment

I am going to definitely give that a try

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
              Well this will probably be the last trap I set till this coming winter work is getting busy and I have the place looking pretty good so it’s a good time to set a “Woolly Bugger” set.

So what makes this set really effective is the deer hide and being able to stake it so Mr coyote can’t take it without a real struggle. I add a little bait or lure or both to the inside of the hide and fold it over and drive a stake through it. This does a couple of things. It totally protects your bait from being washed away and it’s pretty coon resistant. He might chew on it but that’s about it. I’ve had a hide withstand many nights of non target animals that would have wrecked a dirt hole or flat set. Now when a coyote works the set he knows immediately what that is. It’s natural and he wants to take it with him. He will grab it and try to pull it. In doing so he’s going to really be shuffling his feet. I have very few misses with this set because of that.
              Thanks

Comment

Thanks for sharing the details on the W.B. set. It’s a Good combination of visual and scent attractant.

Comment

I finally caught my first coyote, right as the fawns will be dropping. Thanks for all for the info that has been shared. Flat set, MB550, chunk of rotten pork placed at the base of a bush and a guide stick to the side. Little shot of urine on a bush and victory. Only took about 5 months of 2-3 day max sets.

Comment

Do any of y'all hunt or trap coyotes in the summer? I'm trying to put my daughter on one at our lease before deer season. Probably going to hunt it, as I have no trapping experience. Any pointers?

Sharkhunter - Are you trapping those in Tarkington?
                    Last edited by Nate Riley; 06-09-2023, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Riley View Post
                      Do any of y'all hunt or trap them in the summer? I'm trying to put my daughter on one at our lease before deer season. Probably going to hunt it, as I have no trapping experience. Any pointers?

Sharkhunter - Are you trapping those in Tarkington?
                      I trap 2k acres over by Kenefick and will start trapping another 350 acres close to Tarkington this winter. Also trap 2k in Huntsville.

Summer trapping is a tough grind. I do fair at it but I catch twice as many in the winter.
                      Last edited by sharkhunter; 06-09-2023, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Well I’m back at it. A few coyotes moved in on a HF property I trap and the owner wants them gone. Put 1dz in the dirt today and plan on putting in another dozen sets in on Saturday. It’s slow going as I’m putting them right on sign so a lot of scouting. Today was a reminder why I’m not a fan of summer trapping. It was 110 deg in the shade and dead calm. The Ranger overheated about 5 miles from the truck so that was fun. The red clay is as hard as concrete so no earth anchors. I’m running all drags. Trying a few different milder baits out. All are well blended flat sets you couldn’t see if you stepped on them. I bought a small pick axe from harbor freight and it’s really worked out well for cutting trap beds in the hard ground. Hope to have some catch photos to share soon (fingers crossed).

Comment

Working...
                        X