No Till Drill vs Broadcast Seed Spreader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Till Drill vs Broadcast Seed Spreader

I’m getting ready to plant about 70 acres in a food plot mix. I just had a dozer come through and clear. They used the rippers and broke the ground up then I came over it with a heavy duty box blade and got it leveled.

I could go through the trouble of borrowing a no till drill. Or I could use a broadcast seeder that I have and a drag to cover the seed.

With the ground already tilled up from the dozer is there any reason to go through the trouble of using the no till drill?

That is a lot of planting!
    Not a farmer, but my main concern would be unlevel seed bed and some seeds being buried too deep

On my micro plots if they were freshly dozed and box bladed I would use a culti-packer, then broadcast and drag lightly

Please take some photos before and after.

Good luck

BP

Comment

In this situation I’d 100% broadcast and drag. At that volume even a slightly lower germinate rate will be a massive amount of forage (rain permitting)

Comment

Id hold off on a good rain report. You can just broadcast the rye grass seed on the ground.

Comment

Depends somewhat on what you are planting.

Comment

Aint no way in He!! id run a not till through it unless i had disced it or been over it enough to know there is no stumps.

Cheaper to find stumps with a disc then tearing up a no till.

now if you are confident that there is not stumps then a drill will save you money on seed. But slower than broadcasting.
            You might check with local fertilizer guys. I had mine do mine last year he broadcasted the seed mix i wanted with about 100-200LB of fertilizer per acre cant remember which. They can knock it out super quick.
            Last edited by dclifton; 09-29-2022, 01:01 PM.

Comment

i would be worried about roots and stumps damaging the no till drill id just broadcast and drag this year. glad you got rain I'm not sure if I'm even planting this year

Comment

Broadcast it and drag it lightly, you will be fine.

Comment

If I had a planting drill, 100% of the time, that would be my go to. If the planting base dictates it.

Comment

Working...
                  X