National Suicide Prevention Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Suicide Prevention Day

Pay attention, listen carefully, intervene when possible . .

Good reminder

Comment

Permanent solution to a temporary problem. You never know what people are going through. I see people every week that kill themselves and I honestly believe many could have been prevented.

Comment

I see it at work daily. Very sad!

Comment

Dealt with my share of it, watched several leap to their death from bridges, recovered bodies and managed to stop one from jumping on the Oakland/San Francisco bay bridge, getting him hospitalized, only to watch him do it for the final - one Sunday morning with all of us staring below - with one of our boats staged to recover his body. We found the body a couple of days later on a sandbar near San Jose Cali - id'd his body as he was placed on the dock. This with Mother Ocean - lotta pain to remember - as we worked.

Suicide - it affects many - beyond the victim.
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 09-01-2022, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Awesome reminder. Thank you for posting.

Hopefully the folks that feel that there is no other way reach out to someone for help/assistance dealing with their demons.

Additionally, hopefully as a society we become more aware of the folks that are around us on a daily bases that will benefit tremendously from a bit of fellowship and attention.

Heavenly Father please provide us with the awareness, ability and courage to assist our brothers and sisters in need. We ask this in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.

Comment

Good information. I didn't realize the suicide prevention hotline is 988. Pretty easy to remember.

Comment

If suicidal people were that easy to identify, would it be a problem? Probably not.

Unless they ask for help you'll never know until they attempt suicide or they're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  If suicidal people were that easy to identify, would it be a problem? Probably not.

Unless they ask for help you'll never know until they attempt suicide or they're dead.
                  Not true. The signs are there when you are close to them, most times though you realize it after it is too late. Or you are in denial that they would never do that to themselves. I have dealt with the guilt of thinking I should have done more for my friend for 5 years now because I didn't take the signs seriously. Learn from my mistakes guys.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                    Not true. The signs are there when you are close to them, most times though you realize it after it is too late. Or you are in denial that they would never do that to themselves. I have dealt with the guilt of thinking I should have done more for my friend for 5 years now because I didn't take the signs seriously. Learn from my mistakes guys.
                    But it can also go the opposite way. I knew a kid that committed suicide. Just a week before a few buddies and I got together and drank some beers. He was there, seemed like the same guy he'd always been. Some people can hide how they feel.

Everyone gets sad or down on their luck. You can't just assume they'll kill their self. Life is hard for everyone at some point. Some people just take it harder than others.

Comment

But it can also go the opposite way. I knew a kid that committed suicide. Just a week before a few buddies and I got together and drank some beers. He was there, seemed like the same guy he'd always been. Some people can hide how they feel.

Everyone gets sad or down on their luck. You can't just assume they'll kill their self. Life is hard for everyone at some point. Some people just take it harder than others.
                      You have captured the issue successfully . . Thanks

Comment

PT 05:30 every morning for the next 31 days for all suspects.
                        Get up. Get going. Its a preventional start. Not the preventional end.
                        Good push Mr40.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          PT 05:30 every morning for the next 31 days for all suspects.

Get up. Get going. Its a preventional start. Not the preventional end.

Good push Mr40.
                          I'm all right . . I lost my son . .

Comment

Originally posted by preaux40 View Post
                            I'm all right . . I lost my son . .
                            Sorry to hear this... Prayers...

Comment

Sometimes they don't ask for help. Sometimes its just talking to someone and being a decedent human being. A couple months ago working an extra job at a stadium. sparked up a conversation with one of the custodial staff as I always do. At the end of the night he thanked us and stated if it were not for us talking to him him he planned on going home and killing himself. we got the right people to intervene. He's been there every time I have been back and always makes a point t look for us. We are all human and it does not take much to start a conversation with someone.

Comment

Working...
                              X