LBJ National Grasslands 2022-23 Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ National Grasslands 2022-23 Hunting Thread

I didn't see one started yet, so I am kicking it off.... anyone have a good hunting map they can share?

In for the map didn't see a thing last year.

Comment

OnX is the only map I use.

Comment

A map that shows access points, etc. would be helpful. I'm assuming OnX does not provide that?

Comment

OnX does not show access points but lbj has easy access to all units. You can easily see on a map where those points are. Someone might have a better answer or a map. You can check with main office, they might have something but to my knowledge they don’t, just boundary maps.

Comment

If I recall the boundary maps may not show entry points but it does show many of the parking areas for lots of the sections. And also a lot of the sections are just park way off the road/travel area and you're good to go. Just don't be a dirt bag and block gates or traffic.
            Same with camping....anywhere is fine...doesn't have to be one of the pay campsites.

Comment

Can anyone give me pointers on where to go to get my son on a deer this year? Which unit should I take him to?

Comment

If this doesn't bring the map up directly for you, click on the little map below the wording. And it will give you a larger view that you can expand further.

It's always a good thing to stop by the office and check to see if there has been any rule changes out there. They sometimes change them up. And going by word of mouth will lead you to trouble. You should be able to pick up a map while there as well.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-25-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

In! My son and I scouted and duck hunted a little out there in January and all we used was OnX. Looking forward to doing some late season duck hunting again this season!

Comment

Thank you Texas Grown!

Comment

(I'm just echoing what others have already said) Texas Grown's map link is the best on the internet I know of. Otherwise, the office in Decatur should be able to give you a map and then OnX has all of the units on there as well. There are 3-4 units that are land-locked, which means you'd need permission to cross private land to get to them but other than that, it's all walk in. And most units you can just park off the side of the road; you don't have to only access through a given gate. If it's there, great. Otherwise, climb over/under the fence and you're good. If you do park in front of a gate, do so in such a way that would still allow forest service and/or farmers access to units. From what I understand, some of the land is leased out for cattle grazing.

Comment

They will sometimes designate certain units as non huntable in the past. So be sure to check with the office on current rules.
                        There Was also controversy about rifled slug guns for shotguns, and loose black powder vs pellet form. Again, always check for rule changes every year, on any public lands.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          They will sometimes designate certain units as non huntable in the past. So be sure to check with the office on current rules.
                          There Was also controversy about rifled slug guns for shotguns, and loose black powder vs pellet form. Again, always check for rule changes every year, on any public lands.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                          If you tamp loose powder until your ramrod bounces back, it’s a pellet. If you tamp pellets they become loose powder. The rifled slug crap was just that. What bothers me the most is the distances from trails, lot of unhuntable land to appease the trail riders.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                            If you tamp loose powder until your ramrod bounces back, it’s a pellet. If you tamp pellets they become loose powder. The rifled slug crap was just that. What bothers me the most is the distances from trails, lot of unhuntable land to appease the trail riders.
                            Yea the trail thing is the biggest pain in the butt rule out there for sure.

Comment

Lbj

First year bow hunting out at LBJ grasslands and I found a bunch of good info on the LBJ Grasslands Deer Hunting FB Group. Tried to post a link to a good Unit map that was posted in that group but it wouldn't let me because I haven't made 5 posts or something like that. Good luck to you all!

Comment

Working...
                              X