BALCONES CANYONLANDS NWR, E Postcard Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BALCONES CANYONLANDS NWR, E Postcard Archery

This is a heads up on this Federal land.

Don't bother. Seriously. Read the hunt brochure. They are once again trying to put 20 archery hunters on 640 acres, TOTAL (32 acres a hunter). That is 640 acres consisting mostly of dense cedar thickets. There are only a few openings that might be hunt-able but even then, there are no deer. I talked with several hunters last year on this farce of a hunt and none of them saw so much as a track. We walked all over the area and only saw a couple of old pig tracks. If they truly wanted the archery hunters to be successful, they would let them hunt the nice areas they use for the gun hunts, but no. They want to jam 20 archery hunters into a cedar thicket and complain that they have yet to see anyone kill anything. Oh, they also don't bother with deer surveys (federal dollars at work). So, they have no idea that there are no deer except for all of the archery hunters who have told them that it is horrible deer habitat. SMH. It is great habitat for the bird the area is meant to protect.

These hunts are NOT done in the same areas as the gun hunts where you see the pictures of the nice bucks.

Do I sound angry? Maybe it's because we hiked all over that blasted place last year looking for someplace, anyplace, that could be remotely huntable. It was hot, and fighting those cedars trying to find an opening was grueling. We took off from work and traveled for hours to go on that "hunt". We couldn't believe they actually thought an archery hunt in that mess was a good idea. Now I see that they didn't listen to any of the hunters last year and are just trying the rinse and repeat this year. At least it doesn't cost anything. But I feel for anyone drawn this year who pays todays fuel prices and heads out there thinking they are going on an archery hunt. Don’t waste your time or money.

A lot of the Balcones Refuge is not worth hunting. People assume it's going to have a lot of deer because it's around Austin.

There are a few decent compartments, but you have to get lucky when they assign compartments.

Plus why do they make you buy and APH to apply it when it's a refuge? You don't need an APH to apply for Balcones rifle or the other refuge hunts.
    Last edited by bigchiefj; 08-11-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post

There are a few decent compartments, but you have to get lucky when they assign compartments.
      That's just it. These archery hunts are not done on any of the usual compartments. They are done in two other areas which are mostly cedar. As for why the APH? I have no idea.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this information, I'll know not to get my hopes up. Its an ePostcard and less than 2 hours away, so I'll probably still put in for it.

The brochure says you can get one turkey and unlimited feral hogs. I'm guessing the situation isn't much better for turkey and hogs though...

Comment

Wow, that does seem pretty crummy. At least there are no standby's available. All you need is bad weather to make some folks with longer drives not want to go and you could get some more room. Good luck in your draws.

Comment

I live close by and have not heard anything good about the place.

Comment

A seven hour commute to hike through a cedar thicket with no deer but lots of frustrated hunters sounds like a very bad experience. When I draw hunted Kickapoo Caverns, I saw no deer from my set ups, but at least it was a beautiful place. The worst part is you are giving up hunting time elsewhere you will never get back.

Comment

Went few years ago, a terrible waste of loyalty points. Maybe if people stop applying they will work to better the hunting experience. Workers do not care, and make it obvious that your success or enjoyment is none of their concern.

Comment

My son and I were there last year too. 6 hour drive and not a single deer seen or even a **** track!!! A complete waste of time and money… The ONLY upside, was me getting to show my 11 year old son the beautiful Texas hill country.

Comment

Beautiful place loaded with hogs but deer numbers are limited to certain areas. There used to be alot more deer on the place in general but numbers have went down drastically. Not sure where they do the postcard hunt at but there are some nice deer in certain areas.

Comment

I got selected a few years ago and never went on the hunt. After doing research I heard it was a waste of time too.

Comment

Sad to hear this because based on the name, it sounds like it would be an awesome place to hunt.

Thx for sharing. I'm taking it off my list.

Comment

Originally posted by PecanBuck View Post
                          Thanks for sharing this information, I'll know not to get my hopes up. Its an ePostcard and less than 2 hours away, so I'll probably still put in for it.

The brochure says you can get one turkey and unlimited feral hogs. I'm guessing the situation isn't much better for turkey and hogs though...
                          There are more pigs than anyone would care to harvest. I spent 3 days on a high glassing location with watching non stop. Saw plenty of pigs crossing form one thicket to another, but that is all. Spent all mid day walking the perimeter of my area, which was huge, and found nothing of interest beside pig sign.

Comment

Bal 2019

The view I had. Could see tons, just nothing was ever moving.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I can corroborate the OP's thoughts. I drew this NWR 2 years ago for a rifle and it sucked big time. There's just not any game to be had. The place seems dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X