Food plot Guru's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plot Guru's

Got the little tester at Lowes, just took a reading. PH is in the IDEAL range and the soil fertility is also in the IDEAL range, just below the halfway mark. The oats I picked up at TSC recommend Oct 1st planting. I used the disc plow about 2 weeks ago and used the tractor rake and got most (I b foolin' myself) of the weeds, sticks, stones and ole grass out. Of course, no rain I might as well put them oats in a feeder. The oats bag recommended fertilizer, but I don't have a clue as to when it's applied.
    Any food plot guru's advice would be welcome.

I like to take those testers and see what the ph is at the bottom of my trash can personally. Lol. But we are too late in the game to be waiting on soil test now

It will probably grow oats fine as is… BUT perfect conditions make better plots.

Plant +\- a week of October 1 if…. IF you have soil moisture or have a guaranteed shot.

Fertilizer without a soil test is like adding oil to your engine without checking the dip stick. It makes no sense and gets expensive fast. Also without correct pH… none of that high dollar fertilizer does anything

Don’t disk anymore until planting (I don’t recommend it ever) but to start a plot it can have a purpose. Every time you disk you: loose moisture, compact soil, kill worms and other useful soil builders and oxidize your soil, lowering ph

Get good soil contact with the oats, add rain and it should germinate well

Comment

Originally posted by crxshooter View Post
      Got the little tester at Lowes, just took a reading. PH is in the IDEAL range and the soil fertility is also in the IDEAL range, just below the halfway mark. The oats I picked up at TSC recommend Oct 1st planting. I used the disc plow about 2 weeks ago and used the tractor rake and got most (I b foolin' myself) of the weeds, sticks, stones and ole grass out. Of course, no rain I might as well put them oats in a feeder. The oats bag recommended fertilizer, but I don't have a clue as to when it's applied.
      Any food plot guru's advice would be welcome.
      I use feed oats and not seed oats, and dikon radish
      And got this straight off the website

“ When should I fertilize my food plot after planting?
      After you've planted and the seeds have germinated—and throughout the growing season—you will need to keep fertilizing the plots, so they remain vigorous and attractive to deer. We recommend applying 150 pounds of 33-0-0 or 34-0-0 per acre “every four to six weeks throughout the growing season.””

My plots where 100% till February freeze, and volunteer radishes are coming in right now , IMO radishes make their own fertilizer and soil conditioning

^^^^low fence ^^^^ nailed it!!
      “” Don’t disk anymore until planting (I don’t recommend it ever) but to start a plot it can have a purpose. Every time you disk you: loose moisture, compact soil, kill worms and other useful soil builders and oxidize your soil, lowering ph

Get good soil contact with the oats, add rain and it should germinate well””
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-13-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

No guru here but I have had some success with food plots. Some nitrogen wouldn't hurt anything but as for when, idk. I would mix some wheat seed with those oats though. Wheat is much more cold tolerant than oats. Also have had good luck broadcasting turnip seeds. Good luck on the food plot

Comment

I just planted my oats yesterday. I mixed in a couple of bags of wheat/rye mix. The forecast called for rain every day this week so I rushed to get it in. Now there is no rain in the forecast! I will throw fertilizer out after they start to sprout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

El Gato is the man !!!
            read up on food plots

Comment

My TSC didn't have the rye yet but I'm checking again today. Thanks for the reply's. That Cajun is one serious plotter!

Comment

Buy your seed from a local feed store in your area, Turner seed, or order online if you don't mind paying shipping. Nothing I've used from Tractor supply grows well in my experience and local seed is usually cheaper and better. If you have a sprayer, you can kill the weeds in your plot now to expose some dirt without tilling again and broadcast in early Oct.

Comment

I always planted oats around the middle of September and fertilized with 13-13-13 when I planted oats. I always broadcasted mine then broadcasted the fertilizer then pulled a drag over it. They always came up and were thick and green.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X